Horns for Ground vehicles

HORNS FOR GROUND VEHICLES

THE IDEA

There are many ground vehicles that both had and has a horn, and i would like to suggest to add horns to those vehicles, with a possibility to set a keybind wich each player can choose.

There are many vehicles, both heavier tanks, light tanks and personell carriers. Most of these got a horn of some sort, not all of them but many does. Leopard 1 and 2 are some mbt’s that has horns, so are some of the american LAV variants. The lav does have a different kind of horn, that has two settings wich is loud and louder, so that should be an option to adjust and eventually change this while playing.

Being able to honk in a battle could have its positive sides, such as communication. Squadrons could make their own “codes” or it could just be used as its indtended purpose, wich is to warn others of your/your vehicles presence or approach, or to call attention to dangers. But it could also have its negative sides as it being used unnecessarily much.

SOME SCENARIOS THE ABILITY TO USE A HORN COULD BE HANDY

-If you see a teammate coming driving at full speed, not aware of the danger in front of him, while you have a staredown with an enemy around the corner, and don’t have time to notify your teammate in the chat, you can honk and hope that person understands.

-If you were hit or injured in some way, and a teammate just drove past you, or is not aware that you are injured and would prefer to have some help to repair, it may happen that you are even missing parts, yes then if you can whistle at the person, he might come and help!

-To alert you that you are behind or next to a teammate and may block their path to retreat, or if they are blocking the path you need to take to get where you are going

-Another possibility could be to add a set just for fun, isn’t it fun to honk? Only negative consequence would proably be exaggarated use of it

Here is an example, a leopard with a horn, to the left behind the headlight

Here is a drawing from the horn on a sherman tank taken from a manual

Here is a soviet BT-7 with a horn

Here is the horn used on a M24 chaffe

In this video below you will see and hear an example on a Leopard 1

APPROXIMATELY lIST ABOUT A COUPLE IN-GAME VEHICLES WITH HORNS
-Leopard 1 variants
-Leopard 2 variants
-LAV Variants (adjustable horn)
-Certain Sherman tanks
-BT-5
-BT-7
-M24 Chaffe

POLL

Would you like to see this in-game?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

This post was made by
Til_Dovre_Faller
Also known as
Warthunder_Norway

8 Likes

This could be a fun idea (as well if it was applied to ships!) but we already have ways of notifying teammates through the Percussive Notification System, also known as the machine gun :D
To avoid the spam, maybe it can only be held down for a limited duration before stopping and it takes time to recharge to do another full horn blast. World of Warships does this with their horn system (you can see it under the chat box).

5 Likes

I want to add to that: Some Tanks like the Panzer III, should have an option for mounted speakers that were used for psychological warfare.
I would like them to be able to play annoying sounds in the direction of the enemy (Which you can’t disable, similar to your own engine noise, with a minimum volume) - Torture Sounds to be used could be “Never gonna give you up”, “Darude Sandstorm” or Justin Biebers “Baby”

8 Likes

All I see is at the start of a match everyone just starts spamming their horns, this is something that is needed.

11 Likes

If the horns are treated with a duration, that recharges within 30 seconds. It would combat spamming.

However, fog horns for ships would also need to be added. This may also finally for damn sake introduce the whistling death that the F4Us had irl.

1 Like

The REAL potential of this idea comes with sound mods. For example:

7 Likes

Very similar to machinegun spam players like to do at the start, but the difference would be the annoyance level and the sound of the horn ain’t something most people like to hear.

2 Likes

Or make an audio setting that changes horn volume including disabling it

I don’t think this is a useful or overall positive suggestion (spam will be super annoying and immersion breaking if there’s no way to disable horns) but the idea of rolling up behind an oblivious enemy and honking at them is way too funny to resist

I think the trucks from soviet tech tree all have horns if I am correct. Some of the Italian wheeled vehicles also have horns.

1 Like

R3 should come with this horn by default…

2 Likes

Limit its use by a purchaseable modification mabye hehe

1 Like

3 Likes

Even tho this could be very fun…i can see (and hear) the annoying spam of the horn

2 Likes

+1. Need this as soon as possible.

2 Likes

Maybe they can add a delay for horn just like the chat delay

2 Likes

Bind horn to player’s kills… More kill… More horn 😃

2 Likes

Should be like 15-30 seconds or so, where you are free to honk or use the horn in any way you would like etc then 30-60 seconds more or less cooldown, or in any other way

it would not be too fun or good if it is very limited or delayed xd

1 Like

The majority of the older vehicles would have this type of hotn (Dont know its name tough) both armored vehicles, trucks and mtb’s

1 Like

LMAO!!! YESSSSS, THIS WOULD BE AWSOME. My family likes to come over and mess with my keyboard when I’m playing trying to find horn button, would love to actually have one XD

1 Like

88mm flak gun is an angree horn