General Japanese & Thai Ground Forces Discussion HQ

It doesn’t look like there is any white dust or snow on the ground. I doubt it’s active illumination due to the lack of any change in visuals behind the vehicle. I also don’t think it’s image intensification, simply because it doesn’t resemble any white phosphor nods I’ve seen.

Green vs White night vision

Here is the entire original video:
https://x.com/TagajoGSDFpr/status/1521988041660903425

And a cool video showing thermals during an exercise:
(Do note these are at day so the vehicles are heated up due to the sun)

2 Likes

Not really, but ok.

Active illumination image intensifiers which can be found on many rugged military issue phones will have a monochrome appearance.

its a thermal imager, dude what makes you think that it isnt a thermal imager?

1 Like

https://x.com/TagajoGSDFpr/status/1521988041660903425

This post doesn’t say what was used to record

There is some things that makes it obvious that it is s thermal imager, first of all the image amplifier would refract other areas of the vehicle and Even all the snow would have the same level of refraction but if You notice it dosent wich gives away the usage of thermal imager

1 Like

This is a screencap just as the gun fires, that’s light, not heat. That would not happen to a thermal imager.

The darker areas will absorb the light, not reflect it.

I also totally missed the fact that you can still make out the camo pattern, which would not be possible if it were a thermal imager.

Would love to know where do you see the camo patern?

You can see the lighter patch in the mid section. I edited it a bit to hopefully make it clearer.

Fuji’s bald eagle. The coolest (⌐▨_▨)

3 Likes

I think I’m going to add onto this a bit, looking at it some more its definitely IR and not UV, or NIR but rather SWIR aka short wave infrared. It has similar looks as thermals without having the same sensitivity to temperatures of materials

SWIR vs LWIR/MWIR/NIR

If an object is hot enough, you can even see heat as visible light. But, for detecting heat effectively across a broad range of more normal temperatures (-20°C to 50°C), we rely use thermals because of blackbody radiation, which all objects emit based on their temperature, peaks within the 8-14 micron range. The detection capabilities also vary depending on the materials involved; generally, man-made materials emit more in the LWIR spectrum and less in SWIR.

I believe its most likely SWIR, possibly MWIR, due to their higher sensitivity compared to NIR, (common in security cameras). Both SWIR and MWIR are good in very low-light conditions. SWIR makes most sense in my opinion due to it’s closer to the visible spectrum like NIR but offers better penetration through smoke like in the video post-firing. While MWIR and LWIR could also see through smoke and would typically show a heated barrel very clearly. Though it could be that the sensor is not capable of picking up the temperature change.

1 Like

So if I undertand it correctly it is some type of thermal imagining?

Uh well nope. WW2 japan still suffers. Trying to change that, but not sure if something gonna change: Japan is basically worst tank nation low - mid tier - please fix (brs, lineups etc.) - #8 by ChieftainWarrior

lol. WW2 Japan is just fine. Not amazing, but definitely not awful either. There are BR changes that should be made (and more low tier vehicles added), but it doesn’t ‘suffer’. For a new player maybe, but not every vehicle can be made new-player-proofed because different countries have different doctrines and different vehicle characteristics. The US or USSR largely have decent all-rounder vehicles, while Japanese WW2 vehicles tend to favour mobility and firepower over armour.

Ho-ros gun depresion got recently decresed to just -5° for some reason.

Oh really? Can you tell me what does Chi-Nu favor for example then? Its worse in every possible way than all its same Br competation. Maybe japanese tanks have ok K/D but thats only because people play japan as their last nation. If you compare the tanks to its competation stat wise… hell nah they do suffer Japan is basically worst tank nation low - mid tier - please fix (brs, lineups etc.) - #37 by 侍KAMIKAZE侍 moust japanese ww2 tanks deserve at least 0.3 br decrease.

1 Like

Same as the conversation we had in that thread: the Panzer IVs need to go up in BR. They are under-BR’ed, you cannot reasonably compare the two.

And the other tanks, sherman, T-34s, etc. ? Its not like Panzer IV is only one better in every way. Sure you can put panzer IV higher. But rn they are at same br so I will compare them and the other tanks at its br that are also better in every way. Just like other mentioned japanese tanks in my post. My solution would fix ww2 lineups too as rn there are none.

Short answer: yes

Long answer: yes...

While SWIR is technically a form of thermal imaging, it functions more like our eyes compared to typical military thermal imagers. SWIR is generally less effective for standard thermal imaging tasks as it primarily detects reflected rather than emitted light; it requires extremely high temperatures to directly detect thermal emissions. However, we can still see “heat” if it gets hot enough—think of the sun or a red hot metal. This phenomenon is explained by Wien’s law, which allows us to calculate the temperatures at which different wavelengths are most prominently emitted.

Here I’ve calculated tempratures at which the given wavelengths are emitted the MOST.

LWIR (8 - 14 microns)

• T ≈ 362.25K = 89.1°C
  • T ≈ 207K = −66.2°C

MWIR (3 - 5 mircrons)

• T ≈ 966K = 692.85°C
  • T ≈ 579.6K = 306.45°C

SWIR (0.75 - 1 mircons)

• T ≈ 3864K = 3590.85°C
  • T ≈ 2898K = 2624.85°C

For comparisons sake:

Red light (~0.7 mircons)

• T ≈ 4140K = 3866.85°C

Note: At these temperatures, the objects would emit their respective wavelengths at peak intensity, which can lead to saturation or “overflow” in an imaging sensor. Importantly, this doesn’t mean that these wavelengths are only visible at the given temperatures; other temperatures can also emit these wavelengths, but they won’t emit them at the same intensity. This is why SWIR is often used in higher temprature industrial operations like furnaces even if the tempratures are below 2000 °C.

1 Like