General Japanese & Thai Ground Forces Discussion HQ

Should it really? Arent those tanks repainted? All japanese finished tanks in front line service had multi color camo / 99% ww2 photos I saw show japanese tanks with multicolor to match their area (1 % of those hard to tell as they after all are black white pics but even if some did not then still the vast majority would use multicolor camo - unlike american tanks for example that 99% of time used single color camo in ww2).

Those are all clearly multi color camo - so that should be base

Some colored pics

Thats kinda like saying unpainted german tanks were common on battlefield (or saying its how they were meant to be)

Sad story is. That japan does not even have single of those common multi color camos for free in game. While other countrys have sometimes even multiple multi color free camos or even as base/stock color for some of their tanks (italy, sweden) so why not japan?
While best japan get just for playing the game is this :

5 Likes

Question. Can the Type 81 C lock on ASM/AGM/GBU or theoretically can?

This radiosity is almost certainly a product of a proper IR band imager, as stated by another user, MW or SW most likely, not of NIR. paint can certainly show up under a thermogram if they use different materials in the paint scheme, as differing materials can have different emissivity, but more than that, the radiosity of the tires and undercarriage matches what one would expect from a proper thermogram, not from NIR.

The rough, vulcanized rubber of a tire, having a higher emissivity and also subject to rising in temperature through use, would have higher radiosity on the tread and lower radiosity moving into the shoulder and the sidewall. the radiosity of the hubcap area will be dependent upon the material used, but if we are to assume they’re using a low emissivity coating, it being only slightly brighter would line up.

3 Likes

I have my doubts about it being MWIR. Most comparisons between LWIR and MWIR that I’ve found are very close, with the main difference often being just contrast. While it could be a MWIR sensor, I believe it would show the heated barrel in the videos and pictures after firing, as there is a good amount of overlap in emissions in both the MW and LW ranges at the temperature range we’re expecting.

1 Like

Yeah, but we have footage of the Japanese two tone camo camo under an actual thermal imager and the camo pattern, as expect, is not visible.

Spoiler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k8ggsx5de4
https://youtu.be/0-Nige5sayE
https:// youtu.be/0-Nige5sayE

It also does not explain the lack of heat coming from the barrel after firing. At the very least the tip of the barrel, where the muzzle device is, should be glowing white hot.

Yes, it should have been. In fact, it appears that the Japanese tanks were planned to have this tan camouflage from the beginning, as they appeared in the development blog, and some still retain this camouflage in the CDK file.

Sure, there are multiple color camouflages like the late-war three-color scheme that the Chi-He 5th Regiment had, which should be added. However, since the default camouflage is always one color, this khaki camouflage should have been used instead of the boring OD green that every single nation has.

Additionally, it’s important to note that this tan camouflage is not a primer like the German red primer that has been compared to it. The khaki color was an actual camouflage painted on tanks and other vehicles.

The khaki is also part of the late three-color camo.

If you wanted camouflage, you're better off just downloading it as a skin. It's not like Gaijin knows how to make accurate camo anyway.

6 Likes

I mean yeah they were painted this color before getting to the front (thats why I compared it to the german red primer). But after getting to the front they were suposed to be painted acording to the area of deployment. Also its not really “late-war” thing to have multi color camoflage for japan unlike other nations. As multi color camoflages were used in every front and since the very begining of japanese tank design.

1st japanese tank - multi color :

those are tanks in manchuria :
tanks in china:

dutch eas indies :
malaya:
iwojima:

Burma:
manila -philippines:
also philippines

I could go on and on but all ww2 pics I find of tanks near combat area /front are clearly multi color camos.

1 Like
  1. I suggested khaki as the default scheme because, as I’ve mentioned before, Gaijin typically provides single-color camouflage by default. With few exceptions like Swedish tanks, but to be fair they have even less camouflage options than us. Therefore, if Japanese vehicles are only given a single-color camo by default, it would make sense to provide them with one widely used during that era, such as khaki, instead of OD green.

2. I’m aware of the various camouflages used by the Japanese, including those from the Sino-Japanese War up to the Pacific Theater. The late-war tricolor camo is just one example that’s brought up due to its status as being one of the better known camouflages; I’m not suggesting it was the only camouflage used by Japan.

As I mentioned, I’ve stopped caring about camouflage and instead use what others have created, which is often more accurate and can even make the vehicle models appear new.

2 Likes

Thinking about the unfinished SDF M24…

5 Likes

That’s quite fair, either which way however, doubtful to be NIR, image intensifiers do not provide the radiosity patterns we are seeing.

2 Likes

My point was that Japan ww2 should at least have multi color camoflages for free or get new ones added if every other nation has them for free. Its only natural if every other nation has them for free or they should be straight up default like it is with sweden or some italian tanks. I would not mind any default single color but theres gotta be some multi color for free as those were the moust common camoflages used by japan for front line vehicles anyway. Also I dont really wanna just dowloand skin for tank because that is just for my joy and enemy cant see it so it does not really work as camoflage.

1 Like

You seem to disagree with me regarding my older post that I suggested the khaki should have been the default camo and thus I explained to you why. Regardless, I’m pretty sure everyone here wanted new camos for the low-tier vehicle, including me. I think you are just simply arguing with the wrong person.

In fact, I’m very supportive of the Japanese Ground Forces. Anyone who knew me since the past knows this.

1 Like

No, I dont argue. Thats misscomunication. I just said that multi color camoflage would be even more correct than khaki as default for japan as those were the camoflages used for fighting vehicles in the front.

1 Like

I don’t mean to stir up baseless discussion from leaks and rumors but since BeNeLux (a political-economic union) is being rumored at as a sub-tree for France, could ASEAN be a potential sub-tree for Japan?

I’m not exactly certain if said countries could offer anything substantial for top tier ground (11.7) for future-proofing, but it would be nice to see more vehicles to plug gaps in the Japanese tree and more variety

I’m not sure we’ll see it the following update since it looks like it’s France’s turn right now, but in the future, based on the reception of the Thai F-5, I think we’ll see a Thai or ASEAN sub-tree for Japan.

1 Like

ASEAN for air would be kinda wild, considering the Malaysians have F/A-18Cs, Thailand with Gripens, Indonesians with Rafales, and Singaporeans with the F-15E

I don’t think there’s anything else for Japan ground with sub-tree at top tier besides the VT-4 (Thailand) though… It would be kinda nice if there was some sort of radar SPAA at top tier for Japan which I don’t think a ASEAN sub-tree can really fill

ASEAN could bring a lot of unique tanks like; Leopard 2 Revolution, Leopard 2SG, Oplot-M, VT-4, T-90S, PT-91M Pendekar.

2 Likes

Those vehicles would definitely help round out Japan’s 10.3-11.0 (11.3 for the Leo2Sg/RI?) lineup, and I can also see other gaps in the tree being filled as well

I think a scout vehicle addition around that BR would also be nice but I can’t really think of any vehicles that would sit above the Type 16

1 Like

T-84 BM Oplot-T (Thailand), other ASEAN countries can also offer various MBTs, IFVs and even SAM. But Thailand alone has enough to offer to fill a more or less unique sub-line for both Air and Ground. Only SAM remains the thing, meaning we either get Type 11 or SPYDER-SR from an ASEAN country at some point, since Thailand doesn’t have standalone SAM that fits at +11.7.

4 Likes

I think looking at the proposed ASEAN tree, Japan could definitely benefit from getting its BR gaps filled (namely around 10.0-10.7, 8.7, 7.7-8.0, around 6.0, and 5.0-5.7), but I’m not seeing the Oplot being a 11.7 tank (more than likely a 11.3 due to Thailand not getting the 3BM44U1 and the next best round being used by the Oplot being the 3BM46?), and a lot of the SPAA/Scout vehicles don’t seem like 11.3-11.7 material, so the only real addition to their top tier ground is the VT-4 which we already know the BR is at 11.7 currently, which still doesn’t address the lack of scout vehicles and SPAA at higher tier for Japan.

I hope they get the SPYDER-SR though, it does seem pretty interesting

2 Likes