FV101 Scorpion CVR(T)

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters
                       FV101 Scorpion CVR(T)

Vehicle description and service history

The FV101 Scorpion is a British armoured reconnaissance vehicle (Sometimes designated as a light tank), based on the ubiquitous CVR(t) chassis, manufactured by Alvis for both the British army and other clients, with it serving with the British armed forces from 1970 to 1994, and over 3,000 units being produced making it arguably the most successful variant of its family of seven armoured vehicles. It is also worth noting that the Scorpion holds the Guinness world record for the fastest production tank, recorded doing 82.23 km/h (51.10 mph) at the QinetiQ vehicle test track in Chertsey, Surrey, on 26 January 2002.

The origins of the scorpion are directly linked with the Combat Vehicle Reconnaissance (Tracked) family of vehicles, which called for an armoured fighting vehicle that could be rapidly airlifted to trouble spots. The initial intent for the project involved creating a vehicle with both a gun and anti-tank missile capabilities, but this was not possible due to the design weight constraints to retain air portability. The weight limits created a necessity to use aluminium for the hull, and to use and adapted car engine for the powerplant. The direct anti-tank capability was offshooted into a dedicated vehicle known as the striker, whilst what manifested as the Scorpion would use a 76mm gun for the fire support role.

In 1967, Alvis was awarded a contract to produce 30 CVR(T) prototypes, with vehicles p1-p17 being the scorpion prototypes, which were delivered on time and within budget. These prototypes underwent extensive hot and cold trials in Norway, Australia, Abu Dhabi and Canada, resulting it the vehicle seeing adoption in 1970, with a contract for 275 being placed, which would later rise to 313 vehicles. These production vehicles would be completed in 1972 and would see their first deployments with the Blues and Royals of the Household Cavalry in 1973.

Alvis would ultimately built more than 3,000 Scorpion vehicles for the British Army, Royal Air Force Regiment and the export market. like the rest of its CVR(t) ilt it would retain its air portability, with two Scorpions able to be carried in a Lockheed C-130 Hercules, and this capability would see it deployed to multiple conflicts during the cold war. A bonus to this low weight also resulted in the Scorpion having a low ground pressure, something that served it well in the boggy conditions of the Falklands War.

The Scorpion as previously mentioned was armed with the low velocity 76 mm L23A1 gun, which could fire a high explosive, HESH, smoke and canister round, with storage on board for 40 or 42 rounds. This cannon was supplemented by a 7.62 mm coaxial L7 GPMG (3,000 rounds carried), along with two multi-barrelled smoke dischargers mounted one either side of the turret. The main gun had an elevation of 35 degrees and a depression of 10 degrees; the turret has a full 360-degree traverse. The traverse was hand-cranked as a cost-saving feature, making the turret initially slow and laborious, making it unsatisfactory, and this would be later rectified with vehicles as part of a life extension program.

The vehicle was propelled by a Jaguar J60 Mk 100b 4.2-litre petrol engine, but as series production and life extension programs took effect it would later be fitted with either a Cummins or Perkins diesel engine, giving it a maximum speed of about 50mph (80 km/h) with a zero to 30mph of 16 seconds. The vehicle was also amphibious with preparation and had an aquatic speed of 3.6mph (5.8 km/h). This speed came at a cost though, and at a mere 8 tonnes, the armour was not as thick as one might desire, with only 12.7 mm[ of sloped aluminium armour, giving the scorpion an average effective thickness of 25 mm. This gives the FV101 an all-around protection from shell fragments and 7.62 rounds, with the front resistant to 14,5mm rounds fired from 200m (660 ft). The vehicle is also fitted with NBC protection, image intensification sights for the gunner and driver and the aforementioned floating screen for amphibious operations. The tank also has certain crew comforts, such as a bog under the commander’s seat, an internal water tank, and most importantly a boiling vessel for cooking and heating the water carried aboard.

The vehicle would famously see action with B Squadron, Blues and Royals were airlifted and deployed into the Akrotiri and Dhekelia Sovereign Base areas, during the Turkish invasion of Cyprus 1974. The Blues and Royals would also see service in the Falklands war, where they were used in tandem with Scimitars, with the duo being the only armoured vehicles to see use by the British during the conflict. Scorpions would also see service in the first Gulf War, part of Operation Granby, where it served well in the force reconnaissance role, acting as the spearhead for the British push into Iraq.

Vehicle specification:

undefined

Mass 17,800 lb (8.074 tonnes)

Length 5.288 m (17 ft 4.2 in)

Width 2.134 m (7 ft 0 in)

Height 2.102 m (6 ft 10.8 in)

Crew 3

Armour Aluminium armour, Cast and 1318b plate

Main armament ROF 76mm L23A1 gun

Secondary armament Coaxial 7.62 mm L43A1 machine gun

Engine Cummins BTA 5.9-litre (diesel) 190 hp (140 kW)

Power/weight 22.92 hp (17.3 kW) / tonne

Transmission Self Change Gears TN15X

Suspension Torsion-bar

Operational range 756 km (470 mi)

Maximum speed 72.5 km/h (45.0 mph)

Additional historical photos:

sources:

11 Likes

Should have been in the game from the start! +1 for SURE!

8 Likes

+1 Fantastic vehicle, a must-have for British Cold War equipment. Would be good to see it in its final form with Scouting and NV around 6.7-7.3

2 Likes

Why we wouldn’t/couldn’t have this is beyond me. Would fill a niche for small, fast recce vehicles, and this one gets a nice bit of Firepower. Definitely onboard.

3 Likes

If they make the 90mm variant I’ll vote yes

9 Likes

Already suggested that one ;)

1 Like

I’m surprised no CVR(T)s with the notable exception of the Stormer have been added

2 Likes

And the Striker don’t forget that 5 swingfire monster. I just hate suggesting them, as it is a pandora’s box, and for every one i find there is a dozen more i could suggest.

2 Likes

I try to forget about the Striker.
Never liked it in game haha.

Dont forget the falcon either ;)

Falcon is FV430 series?

My bad, yeah you are right, specifically the fv433 abbot

Falcon is based off of the Abbot/FV433 hull, which is in the same family as the FV432 APC (and FV430 Bulldog too) - Swingfire is also based on the same hull too.

On a separate nore, if I remember there was an Aussie example where a Scorpion turret was fitted to an M113. Not sure if that made it into service.

1 Like

There was also an Australian M113 with a Saladin turret. I’m pretty sure both of them did reach service.

4 Likes

It was the M113A1 FSV (Fire support vehicle) basically based on australian experiances in south vietnam.

4 Likes

“Mum I want Scorpion”

“We have Scorpion at home”

5 Likes

+1. It’d be a great addition for the british tree, (somewhere in 6.3-6.7 imo). It’s also really cute!

Since it’s a light Cold War vehicle I thought the same. But then I looked around in the tech trees and at such a rating it would end up smack middle of all the heavy tanks and generally thicker armored vehicles which it wouldn’t be able to “pen” with the HESH round, except in a few instances.

The problems already start at 5.7 but they’re limited so I think you can still work around them. So maybe a rating around 4.3-4.7 might fit due to those 5.7 up-tiers, but it would be weird to see a Cold War Vehicle in a 3.7 down-tier so I dunno really.

A tricky vehicle to implement for sure, but one that I want to see nevertheless.

4 Likes

if they, oh i don’t know, fixed HESH damage (which conveniently hasn’t been done considering it’s a mainstay of British ammunition) then it’d be quite a capable platform.

As far as i can tell, the main problem stems from how the game models HESH damage. It isn’t considered to have done anything unless it overpressures or Penetrates outright sometimes, yet other times it’ll kill a vehicle outright.

1 Like

That bridge has already been crossed sadly. Look at the Pbv 301 it’s a 60’s vehicle at 2.3.

If HESH is fixed, Scorpion could probably go higher. Around 5.7 - 6.0, as even if the round doesn’t penetrate there should still be a chance for scabbing.

1. In “Ballistic Research Laboratories Report No. 837” pages 250 to 255 (based on the page numbers of the actual report, page 242 to 246) provide details regarding the effective penetration of HESH or the thickness of armor HESH can defeat. On page 254 of the same report (page 245 on the actual report) it is clearly stated that “this plot indicates the HEP round to be capable of defeating about 1.3 calibers of tough, high-obliquity plate, regardless of caliber.”

So 76mm HESH should be able to defeat around 98.8mm of armour. With better performance against sloped armour than regular AP and early APDS, and better post-pen damage.

5 Likes