FV101 Scorpion CVR(T)

I mean, HESH doesn’t get affected by range or angle. It’ll have 98mm of pen at any range or angle, which would be really neat not gonna lie.

Makes you wonder if the Scimitar, with the RARDEN, would be worth adding. If they gave it its 90 rpm than that’d make it worthwhile

3 Likes

From what i understand, one of the reasons that HESH performs so poorly in game, is because when the shells explode on a piece of armor, they don’t really overpressure at the same time as penetrating the armor. That means that even with the 21,76kg TNT equivalent of the FV4005 shell, that if you hit the turret cupola of a Tiger H1, the shell will not overpressure even when it is such a big explosion going off over the tank, it will only kill the commander. Where as, the 122mm HE shell of a IS-2 with 3,7kg TNT equivalent will overpressure the entire tank.

To sum it up, a massive explosion from a HESH shell will not overpressure when it tries to go through armor, where as HE with less filler on the same spot will over pressure.

I would think the best way to fix it would be, to make HESH shell both do penetrating damage, and overpressure damage at the same time.

Scimitar would definitly work, since the Warrior is very effective with its RARDEN cannon at 8.3. While i think for many that the slow rate of fire is a hit or a miss, it is very effective with its APDS shells.

6 Likes

If it got a LRF, I’d absolutely play the Scimitar. The pen on the gun is really really neat, and it’s certainly not a terrible gun by any stretch.

4 Likes

There is a reason the RARDEN hangs around and is mounted on so many of the British IFV’s i have suggested, its a cracking weapon ;)

Personally I’d want Scimitar divided into two generations; the original with AP, NV, Mk 1 Eyeball, and the Jaguar engine, and the LEP upgrade with APDS, BGTI, LRF, and diesel.

6 Likes

When it comes to the pen of the HESH I went with the manufacturer’s data. Nathan posted it in another thread (source).
But I’d rather take something that makes HESH better/more usable, though, lol. So if it means we get a reliable system of balancing HESH while also making it usable, I’m all for changing it like in the post you shared.

Moving onto the BR topic; I think we should try and focus on the reduction of Cold War vehicles among the early WW2 stuff because stopping it completely seems too late now. At least try and suggest variants with better capabilities that can be given a higher BR to the devs. Some overlap with late WW2 vehicles and with early Cold War is unavoidable obviously, so I for one am OK with that.
Just wanted to add: Sweden is a bit of an oddball overall when it comes to its vehicles and battle ratings so maybe not the best example haha. (but true though, that 2.3 just feels out of place for that vehicle)

1 Like

As was mentioned in the suggestion thread about the Scimitar Mk.2, there is probably 6 different iterations of the Scimitar that could be added, all in regards to how it have been upgraded through its life. It could also just be as 3/4 different ones, just in regards to the modules, that it goes from one version to another.

2 Likes

With only HE or HESH but also a LRF (unless not on British examples?) and excellent speed it’d be a kinda weird and difficult to balance vehicle, especially compared to other members of the family. I wouldn’t anticipate it being very enjoyable to either play or play against for most people.

I feel like Brit mains would enjoy it, because we do love our quirky and unique vehicles. It’d help if HESH got a rework before it was added though.

1 Like

its present on the modernized ones

Really wacky that no other CVR(T) variants have been added so far, even the humble scorpion and scimitar

1 Like

The HESH will be an issue. I took the Cent AVRE out today having not played it in years. The lack of damage done by the shell was astounding. I was lobbing shots over walls onto a group of tanks. Should have had a field day. I hit a Leo on the roof and did zero damage. Tracks absorbed hits like it was 57mm HE. American heavies could ignore me freely.

Gaijin should be offering refunds on that thing it’s so bad. HESH only vehicles aren’t feasible in WT until there’s a rework of HESH, entirely.

2 Likes

Yeah, the rework for HESH is long overdue. I hope once it happens it will breath some new life into the British tech tree.

2 Likes

they have been tweaking with hesh recently, the only reason to do so would be for a vehicle dependant on it, of which the British have quite a few though the scorp and saladin immediately come to mind

And they’d be even more reliant on a HESH rework to be effective since their low-caliber HESH has so much less explosive mass than the Centurion AVRE and FV4005. In the current state of HESH, a 76mm gun would just let you do nothing a lot more often.

PLUS 1

2 Likes

Known as the M113A1 Medium Reconnaissance Vehicle (MRV), it was a M113A1 fitted with a scorpion turret that had an image intensifier. it served with the Australian army until 1996.
the M113 with the Saladin turret also reached service and served in Vietnam, until it was replaced by the M113 (MRV).

I’m definitely for this, the CVR(t) family should already be in here alongside Warrior.

Why no British Scorpion ? It’s a legend