Fiat G80-3B

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

Description:Description: The Fiat G80 was an Italian post-World War II armed jet trainer produced in a few prototypes and variants by the company Fiat for the Italian Air Force. Many people consider it the first Italian jet-propelled aircraft, but it was the second. The first was the Caproni Campini of 1939. Returning to the history of the G80, it was projected by Giuseppe Gabrielli at the end of the 1950s, when Fiat asked the engineer to design a new all-metal jet-propelled aircraft capable of replacing the Fiat G59 in service with the Italian Air Force. The first prototype flew for the first time on December 9, 1951. The Fiat G80 was divided into two different sub-varieties: the first prototype, the G80-1B and four other pre-series units, the G80-3B (the one of this suggestion). The series and definitive G80, the G81, was never done in favor of a later variant called the G82. Compared to the G80-3B the G82 had a more powerfoul engine and pilons on the wings tip (they were made initially to carry additional fuel because the new engine was more thirsty, but they could be also be used for rokets and other weapons). and Both the five G80s and the five G82s were assigned to the Reparto Sperimentale di Volo and to the air school of Foggia-Amendola for testing their characteristics. At the end, it turned out that the Boht G80 and G82 had better performance than the T33 shooting start, but they were more expensive and less powerful than a very good competitor, the MB326. They served for tests for 4 years, and in 1955, all 5 G80s were retired. Some of them were scrapped, while others were used as gate guardians, and one was finished at the Italian Air Force Museum in Vigna di Valle. This variant, in particular, the G80-3B was the armed variant. The previous model, the G80 1-B was not armed.

Why it should be in the game: Italy right now is lacking of early jets. This alongside the G82 will be very good options for this role.

Specifications

Spoiler

Length: 12.40 m
Wingspan: 11.00 m
Height: 4.00m
Wing area: 25.14 m²
Wing loading: 215 kg/m²
Wing aspect ratio: 4.82
Empty weight: 4 060 kg
Load weight: 5 400 kg
Engine: de Havilland Goblin 35 turbojet
Thrust: 15.57 kN (1 587 kgf, 3 500 lbf)
Max speed: 880 km/h (at low altitude)
Stall speed: 165 km/h (at low altitude)
Rate of climb: to 3 000 m in 3 min 30 s
to 6 000 m in 8 min
to 9 000 m in 15 min 30 s
Take-off run: 640m
Range: 1 400 km
Tangency: 13 500 m

Armaments

Spoiler

Machineguns/cannons
4x 12.7 mm machine gun (two on the nose and two under wings pilons)
4x 20 mm Hispano Mk804 cannons (two on the nose and two under wings pilons)
Rokets
8x HVAR
38x 2.75 inch rokets
74x 2.0 inch rokets
Bombs
2x 14 kg bombs
2x 100 kg bombs
2x 230 kg bombs
2x 250 kg bombs
2x 260 kg bombs
2x 500 lb Napalm bombs

Sources

Spoiler

Fiat G.80 - Wikipedia
Scopri cinque aerei militari prodotti da Fiat - Aeroflap
Fiat G.80 - Galleria Personale Utenti - Aerei Militari Forum
AvioBlog - I caccia addestratori Fiat G.80 e Fiat G-82
https://www.aviationmuseum.eu/Blogvorm/museo-storico-aeronautica-militare/fiat-g-80-3b-mm53882-rs-22-italian-air-force/
Fiat G.80 - Wikipedia
FIAT G.80 < Aviazione < Milistoria
https://www.aeronautica.difesa.it/2022/12/22/fiat-g-80/

Pictures

Spoiler

8 Likes

+1 very interesting

2 Likes

Heavily armed and domestic early jet, something Italy could really use. +1

3 Likes

+1 for the version with four Hispano, the version with four 12.7s is useless.

3 Likes

Uh not really

In my experience the opposite is true

I find that the 20mm Hispano based cannons to be really Inconsistent, Temperamental and have a Tendency to spark, at least the 50.cals are consistent in terms of DPS

It would be nice to swap between the 50.cals and 20mm like you can do with the later Bf.109’s with the MG151 and MK108’s though

I use the tracer tape, with all the Hispano guns and I have no problems, four 12.7s are pure suffering against the Jets.

1 Like

I agree with statement, .50 is very good gun but only 4 deal just too low damage against jets while you are hailed by 20mm

1 Like

+1 italy needs more jet planes

1 Like

Yeah, and with the difference being just a minor performance change, I think we should just get the option to choose which we want

Maybe make the 20mm’s a tier 1 unlock or sumtin

1 Like

Like in Ki-43-I where you start with 2 7.7mm and upgrade them to 2 12.7mm

Exactly

Plus you’d be trading performance for better guns

It’s a side grade, thus it doesn’t have to be a separate BR, and at that point, should just be an unlockable

2 Likes

Yep, difference would be big but not enough for BR change

1 Like

+1, also here is a cool video of the G80 prototype taking off and flying : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMnHw9-yGh4

1 Like