F-15 Eagle: History, Performance & Discussion

I don’t see reports for either of those.

3 Likes

yeah how is the f15 gonna sling AMRAAMS without TWS?

It ain’t you gonna get a new one with it

1 Like

Can you put those in motion or have the previous ones submitted by players already been denied?

2 Likes

They would only be forwarded as suggestions, of which some of us have already done so to the devs.

The only internal report I’m aware of was one for the F-15J that David mentioned:

Aside from that I did see a bug report for missing radar modes acknowledged but that’s public and not internal I suppose:

https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder/i/EghueNUzBYag

The F-15A/C has good AoA characteristics in the real world. It’s somewhere between an F-16 and an F-18. The MiG 29 has an AoA limit of 27 degrees. At more degrees, the control stick stiffens and a pitch kicker follows to automatically lower the AoA below 25 degrees.
The F-15 is not “limited” on AoA and G.
More accurately, the limit is determined by the configuration, center of gravity of the aircraft, and flight conditions.
Thus, a stable AoA limit can be 30 or even 38 actual AoA degrees ( 40 + cockpit units AoA) without CFT and external tanks.
Wing rock F-15 has, ( also found in F-35, F-18, and T-7 etc.)
Many F-15 pilots don’t even know it is a wing rock and think it is a hard buffet.
Wing rock is in the range of about 21-25 true AoA, depending on speed and flight attitude.

1 Like

It doesn’t automatically lower the AoA, rather limits the pilots ability to pitch the aircraft beyond that point. It takes little effort to pull past and ignore it. F-15 AoA is vastly inferior to the F-18, slightly superior to the F-16.

For a brief moment it can peak at 40° true AoA but it cannot sustain more than 26-28 degrees AoA steady-state.

Yes, wing rock occurs but becomes particularly bad above 30.

1 Like

I don’t know how War Thunder is doing with adding documents now, but the steady state AoA of the symmetrical configuration for the F-15 is 30-38 actual AoA. Depends on speed, center of gravity, height, weight.
F-16 has 25 AoA max ( limit is hard), MiG 29 9-12 26 st ( soft limit but strongly recommended not to exceed), EF-2000 25, Hornet 35 actual AoA ( soft limit).

The MiG 29’s pitch kicker starts above 26 deg AoA and can be pushed by the pilot but is not recommended. Flying above 26 AoA requires an experienced, capable pilot.

Fixed that quote for you.

What is the source for this? Most I think I’ve read is 30 without quoting anything (just off the top of my head).

30 degrees is correct ( under certain conditions) and so is 38 degrees.
The F-15 does not have the low speed, high alpha maneuverability of the F-18, but is clearly superior to the F-16 in these conditions.
People tend to consider the machine more important than the human pilot. But a good pilot in an F-15 will beat an inferior pilot in an F-18 at low speeds and high AoA, and vice versa is true too.

You’ll need to link the cover and any pages showing a distribution status to avoid moderators deleting your comment and handing out warnings etc.

Wing rock onset at ~22 degrees as expected, this chart looks to be correct. Under what conditions is the CG at 28.3 MAC? I’d like to investigate this further and verify the in-game model is correct.

2 Likes

I better delete it, it’s on my computer, I don’t want to trace the link.
28.3 MAC is where the aircraft’s center of gravity is after a certain percentage of fuel has been burned. As it burns the center of gravity moves backwards, this results in a higher value of available stable AoA in this case.

I’m aware, I was just trying to figure out what conditions it would require to do the steady-state AoA claimed in the document. I’ll check my F-15 manual maybe it’s in there. I’ve got a couple documents.

2 Likes

I’ve been testing the fidelity of the F-15 model in DCS and it seems too good in high alpha, but I think as a guide for the F-15 in WT, the flight model there might do the trick.
I don’t know if WT has the capabilities for a more accurate model than DCS.

You can find in the manual for the F-15 that at 1G stall the aircraft stabilizes at 45+ cocpit units , 35+ true AoA.

The true AoA is approximated for the F-15 by simply subtracting 10 from the cocpit units AoA. But beware, this is not a linear function.

I’m aware that it is overperforming in DCS. lol.

I’ll take a look later.

It never is lol, MiG-23 has the same issue… but they provided a formula.

28.3 MAC should equate to a clean F-15A weighing 31-32,000 lbs.

2 Likes

That is so unrealistic, the design limit G limit is for fatigue over the life of the airframe, the yield limit is much much higher and even then the wing’s don’t just rip off any modern fighter, they would yield, and probably require hundreds of cycles before failure. This would entail replacement of that component as the fatigue life was just lowered to an undetermined place, but the plane keeps flying.

There are tons of anecdotal reports from many deferent types of aircraft of over G’s and none of them disintegrated (high flight time airframe fatigue failures excluded)

a few I found for the f-15:

“He explained that in 33TFW in Eglin one of the new F-15C only with 150 hours was pulled with 12.6G this is what the accelerometer showed in the cabin. But the overload monitoring system at other parts of the plane registered 15G load.”

“There was another case in 1977 or 1978 when an F-15A survived 16G. The wing suffered a permanent deformation. Of course it was not visible with naked eye but it could be measured. Following the inspection the wing of the plane was replaced.”

But this can be applied to any modern aircraft, I even remember reading reports of an a6-e intruder with full bombload pulling some crazy over-G and wrinkling the upper wing skin, requiring replacement, but brought everyone home safe.

No 4th gen jet from any nation should experience structural failure from over-G, period. These aircraft were designed to do this and still come home safe.

I could see an argument for keeping structural failure as is until you unlock airframe restoration, to mimic fatigue effects irl, but once we are flying around new airframes as far as the game is concerned, this should not be a thing for any 4th gen aircraft from any nation.

1 Like

In real life no pilot rolls+pulls+rudder at supersonic

2 Likes