Dutch F-16AM Block 15 MLU

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

Dutch F-16AM Block 15 MLU

Hey! This is a suggestion to add RNAF F-16AM to German air tree in order to diversify the top tier a bit. Mig-29’s hold their ground pretty well but having a bit more diversity especially having such a loved aircraft might really be a lot of fun!

Description and History

The F-16, also known as the Fighting Falcon, is a tactical fighter aircraft with a single engine and supersonic speed capabilities. It was originally developed by General Dynamics, now a part of Lockheed Martin, for the United States Air Force (USAF). The USAF made its first F-16 purchase in 1972, and the aircraft made its debut flight in 1976. The F-16 was initially conceived as a lightweight aircraft for air-to-air combat in the aftermath of the Vietnam War. It is known for its unique features such as a frameless bubble canopy for better cockpit visibility, a side-mounted control stick for easier control, a 30-degree reclined ejection seat to reduce the impact of g-forces on the pilot, and the pioneering use of a relaxed static stability/fly-by-wire flight control system, which contributes to its agility.

The Royal Netherlands Air Force (RNLAF) was one of the initial buyers of the F-16A aircraft, purchasing 213 units. This made the Netherlands one of the four European Participating Air Forces and one of the five countries to manufacture the F-16 locally. However, due to force reductions, the fleet was reduced to 68 aircraft, all of which were upgraded to the Mid-Life Update (MLU) standard. Some of the excess aircraft were sold to Jordan and Chile.

In 1989, a two-year study was initiated to investigate potential mid-life upgrades for the USAF’s and European Partner Air Forces’ (EPAF’s) Block 15 F-16A. The outcome was the F-16 Mid-Life Update (MLU) package, which aimed to upgrade the cockpit and avionics to match those of the F-16C/D Block 50/52, add the ability to use radar-guided air-to-air missiles, and generally enhance the operational performance while improving the reliability, supportability, and maintainability of the aircraft. Key enhancements included a modular mission computer with increased data processing speed, an advanced IFF system that allows “BVR weapons delivery beyond radar limits,” and an upgraded radar—the APG-66(V)2A—with extended range and the ability to track and engage more targets. Aircraft that received these upgrades were designated F-16AM or F-16BM (for single-seat or dual-seat, respectively). While some sources refer to the F-16 MLU as Block 20, this designation was specifically used for new-production jets, with upgraded jets being referred to as MLU or Block 15 MLU.

Armament

Primary;

• M61 A1 Vulcan

Air-to-Air Missiles;

• AIM-9N

• AIM-9L

• AIM-9M

• AIM-9X

• AIM-7 Sparrow

• AIM-120 AMRAAM

Air-to-Ground Missiles;

• AGM-65 Maverick

Navigation/Targeting;

• AN/AAQ-13 & AN/AAQ-14 LANTIRN

Bombs;

• GBU-31 and GBU-38 JDAM

Cockpit Displays and Indicators

Wide Angle Conventional Head Up display

GEC Marconi Avionics’ new WAC HUD enhances readability and comfort for pilots. It offers a wider view, supports night operations, and is FLIR and EEGS compatible.

Multi-Function Display

Honeywell’s Multi-Function Display (MFD) set, featuring two color active matrix liquid crystal displays, will replace the current REO-IU and SCP. This upgrade will significantly enhance pilot’s situational awareness and flight safety.

Enhanced Upgraded Programmable Display Generator

The EUPDG supports the two-color MFDs and allows for twelve display programs. It includes a color Horizontal Situation Display, enhancing the pilot’s tactical view. It features a 20MHz, 32-bit Intel 80960 Display Processor and a 256K RAM system memory. The color graphics controller uses the T.I. TMS34020 Raster Graphics Chipset.

Structure & Avionics / Avionics upgrade

Modular Mission Computer

Modular Mission Computer is the centerpiece of the Mid Life Update package, offering new capabilities like sensors and weapons, and improving pilot interfaces. It uses MIPSCO R3000 32-bit RISC microprocessors and an object-oriented design for efficient software development and maintenance. The MMC will replace the XFCC, HUD EU, and XCIU, reducing volume by 42%, weight by 55%, and power consumption by 37%. It has 24 slots, with ten reserved for future expansion.

Fire Control Radar

The AN/APG-66(V2) Fire Control Radar (FCR) by Westinghouse is set to receive a new signal data processor. This upgrade will enable:

• TWS mode for up to ten targets.

• 25% increase in detection and tracking range.

• Enhanced Doppler Beam Sharpening mode (DBS).

• Improved air-ground and ground mapping modes.

• Medium resolution DNS.

• Enhanced ECCM.

• Compatibility with color displays.

• 40% reliability improvement with the MLU kit and receiver.

Physical parameters:

Volume : 3.43 cu. ft.

Weight : 261.5 lb

Power : 3285 V/A AC (Max), 155 Watts DC (Nominal)

Cooling : 11.3 lb/min a 27degr. C

Advanced IFF

The Hazeltine APX-113 AIFF (Advanced Identification Friend-or-Foe System) system is getting an upgrade for better range (100 Nm) through four antennas, known as “bird slicers”. These will be the key change in the Mid Life Update.

Specifications

• Engine: One Pratt & Whitney F100-PW-220 turbofan, rated at 14,590 lb.s.t. dry and 23,770 lb.s.t. with afterburning.

• Maximum speed: Mach 2.05 at 40,000 feet. Service ceiling 55,000 feet. Maximum range 2400 miles. Initial climb rate 62,000 feet per minute.

• Dimensions: wingspan 32 feet 9 1/2 inches, length 49 feet 3 1/2 inches, height 16 feet 8 1/2 inches, wing area 300 square feet.

• Weights: 16,285 pounds empty, 25,281 pounds combat, 37,500 pounds maximum takeoff.

Sources

F-16.net - The ultimate F-16, F-35 and F-22 reference

F-16.net - The ultimate F-16, F-35 and F-22 reference

Royal Netherlands Air Force - Wikipedia

File:Dutch Air Force General Dynamics (Fokker) F-16AM Fighting Falcon (401) Geerlings-1.jpg - Wikipedia

Ukraine conflict – Analysis: Dutch and Danish F-16 options for Ukraine

General Dynamics F-16 Fighting Falcon - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dosya:General_Dynamics_F-16_Fighting_Falcon_3-view_line_drawing.svg

File:RNLAF F-16 Fighting Falcon (27115480444).jpg - Wikipedia

https://www.defensemirror.com/uploads//news/big/7_1708946823.jpg

(PDF) F16 MLU M1 Pilot's Manual - DOKUMEN.TIPS (Thanks to Nakxin)

2 Likes

You have my support as a Dutchie!

Would love to see our vehicles appear under the flag of our very close ally and neighbor

7 Likes

I completely support this, this Is an option to replace the obsolete f4f ice

2 Likes

Obviously should be a crowning jewel of the BeNeLux tree

2 Likes

I voted yes, but it won’t be for Germany

+1 for a BeNeLux tech tree! They have enough to be made into their own separate nation. No point in ruining that opportunity by adding them to Germany

4 Likes

You have my support as a Dutchie!
Would love to see our vehicles appear under the flag of our very close ally and neighbor

Happy to hear that! I would love to see Dutch vehicles more as well! @Evo3s

I completely support this, this Is an option to replace the obsolete f4f ice

That is the main reason for my suggestion of this! @paganmine

+1 for a BeNeLux tech tree! They have enough to be made into their own separate nation. No point in ruining that opportunity by adding them to Germany

You guys are right for sure! However, for BeNeLux tree, I believe there’s more modern versions of F16’s that can appear with that tree! Such as Belgium Block 20 F-16’s and even more modernized versions! @AVROVULCANXH558

6 Likes

Sure there’s other F-16s that can be added for the Benelux but look:

4 Likes

Yeah, I’m aware of that, but one can still hope

2 Likes

I did vote Yes, but, frankly, I would rather have had a Benelux Tech Tree than giving the Dutch to the Germans and (I’m assuming) the Belgians to the French… It’s a bit unfortunate.

2 Likes

I agree that it should be added to Germany to at the very least to act as a stop-gap jet.

3 Likes

That doesn’t make sense though, why would you have a tech tree for a group of nations and take one of said nation’s vehicles out of it and put it in another?

There are other aircraft which Germany can get if it’s absolutely necessary (not that it really is, let’s be honest, German air has some of the best placed vehicles in game)

The F-4F ICE would be fine in game, it would be roughly on par with the Tornado F.3 FSP, which has a better radar, but trades it for agility. Typhoon will come eventually, and DA1 will probably come too. If it’s absolutely necessary, it can be given Skyflash, as the databus should handle it, as on DA2.

2 Likes

+1, though probably not for Germany.
With the Tiffy extremely likely this year, Germany can hold out with the worst top tier fighter for a bit longer. And if there is a German F-16, it should be the Argentine one.

2 Likes

Yeah lots of people don’t like the idea of F4-F ICE o top tier, and frankly I do not see a new tech tree coming soon

Judging the armament and radar i can easily say F-4F İCE is actually better then this F-16.

İCE will have access to AIM-120’s and IRIS-T alongside with improved F-18’s radar, sure F-16 has the upper hand when it comes to flight performance but bein able to sling Amraams and turn cold gives huge advantage against F-16 and if they ever add IRIS-T then F-16 will not have chance against İCE.

1 Like

Also yeah, Argentinian F-16 makes more sense for Germany so I’ll probably start to work on a suggestion for that

1 Like

This F-16 can use AIM-120s though

1 Like

Why hasnt been listed on that table then?

İnformation table should be uptaded in that case.

Dunno, but those are AIM-120s unless i’m mistaken

These are Aim-120’s no doubt.

1 Like