Dance of Dragon - Rumor Round-Up & Discussion (Part 3)

That was because the Gr.1 filled a similar role wasn’t it?

Not sure what it means exactly but it does mention the AIM-120 so that’s gotta count for something

Test platforms and testbeds implies that these missiles might’ve been not in the standard configuration due to nature of the tests performed. Document also doesnt specify the variant of the missile

F-14D uses digital databus (STD-1553B) which incorporates AIM-120 software for launchers (underbelly slots) and the missiles themselves

1 Like

Hmm that’s a good question.

We now know for certain we’re not getting the Hornet this update, so I think it must come in the next one.

So unless the F-14D is coming this update (that’d be amazing), or unless Gaijin wants to give the US two top tier fighters at once in the next update, I doubt the F-14D is coming before the Hornet

will have their explosive
warheads removed and their tracking
and guidance systems replaced with
a smaller, more lightweight guidance
system. The missiles will also be heavily
instrumented to obtain and transmit test
data from experiments in such areas as
thermal protection materials, scramjet
propulsion, guidance & control, boundary layer transition and aerodynamics at
hypersonic speeds.

the us navy own documents estimate constantly which is funny

So in short these mach 5 Phoenixes werent service Phoenixes which negates the idea of regular AIM-54s achieving these speeds under normal conditions.

Well I guess that seals the deal.

The only remaining hurdle then is the matter of the missiles never being ordered for operational use, but going by what Gaijin is willing to do (and has done in the past) this is not a problem at all.

IIRC one example of this is the Swedish JAS-39C which never had AIM-9M in service, but got them anyway

“I never said it wasn’t successful. F14d would have absolutely been equipped with aim120 if it had remained in service, but it didn’t. It was a one off prototype and as such f14d with aim120 should be an event vehicle, perhaps even with a f14d with aim9m and aim54c in the tt.” ruski turtle

the best F-4 Phantom is a premium

37 F-14Ds were made, and going by the sources provided by @Texas_Engineer_Mike all of these would have the capability of mounting and firing the AIM-120. The fact the missiles were never ordered is the only hurdle, as as I said in previous comment, this is not a problem at all.

tbh I expect the F/A-18 Early to be a premium. given all it gets is sparrows and 9Ms

This could be premium so leave F-14D alone

1 Like

True, but not by a big margin. The F-4J is very similar, as it only lacks the agile eagle slats.

no there essential the same aerodynaimclly which in what you said aim54 is to fat to achevie those speeds there essentially the same but have a different payload according to website its mostly just a removed warhead they are surplus from after they retired the f14

Agreed. I don’t think any F-14 needs to be premium, but if one absolutely had to, then experimental F-14A would be it.

it would ruin the game

A premium F-14? Yes, I agree.

1 Like

PDF