Create a gap between ww2 and cold war vehicles and tech

guess who will win

IS-2(1944) with BR471D,

or Jagdtiger with PzGr43?
and you also said the cold war vehicles in low BR, for example, the Type62 in BR6.7, it got a 300pen HEATFS, OP right? but it can be easy pen by even a T34(1940), and has no stabilizer, which means it may cant have the first shot when it meet the Jegdtiger

and the Type56 APBC/APCBC/HAVP can even only pen Jagftiger’s MG

i dont think its a skill issue that someone cant kill a Jagdtiger in Type62

if that CW vehicle cant even face a WW2 one a little bit easier, how it face a real CW vehicle?

3 Likes

My apologies for the misunderstanding, I did not bring up TS to judge you by your stats or anything of the sort. I just wanted to say that since you’ve used the Maus a lot, and to good effect, you probably already know that the 75mm coax with HEAT and 5sec reload makes it infinitely more capable against light vehicles than most heavies at and around the era-breaking BRs.

For the same reason why you’d play or not play anything else. Do you enjoy it?

If you don’t enjoy it, not playing it is the correct decision. I don’t really care for top tier gameplay and haven’t really ventured beyond 7.7 except for the occasional battlefield challenge. On the other hand, 6.7 is my favourite BR in the game.

We get different enjoyments out of different things in the game. That’s okay.

Leopard 1 is 8.0, so your 6.7 American lineup (which I’d argue is as strong as German 6.7 and a bit more well-rounded perhaps) will not see it. The T29 might. Then again the T29, like the Tiger II, is the sort of vehicle whose gun remains formidable even in a full uptier.

The German Patton, yes, you can see it, since it’s at 7.7. But Pattons have pretty bad armour. The KwK 43 goes through them like butter.

Usually when I play the Tiger II in a full uptier, I treat it like a medium tank and flank. It works pretty well.

My favourite vehicle in the game is the Jagdtiger, and I always get weird “looks” when I say that, because it is objectively an incredibly situational vehicle. When I started playing the Tiger II more, the number of nukes I was dropping compared to the JT increased… and not really because I’ve improved that much in a short period of time. It’s because the Tiger II is simply great.

What people underestimate is that it’s not just that the gun is good, but the gun handling is superb, the reload is very very good, and the turret rotation speed is great. So what you can do with some great success, especially with the better mobility of the Sla, is get reasonably timely and aggressively into a chokepoint or pretty good corner position, and hold it even against multiple enemies, because yes, you’re a heavy, but you have the reactivity of a medium tank.

I am yet to get a nuke with it at 7.7, I’ve only done it at lower BRs, but I’ve come close many times. And I’m hardly an exceptional player, in fact I’ve had a string of terrible matches recently alongside the nukes (been distracted by RL stuff and ended up playing with my brain turned off).

Still, how many heavies would be able to say the same? Many are literally useless in a full uptier, not so the Tiger II. That’s why I’m always so sceptical when people tell me it’s not competitive or meta anymore. Maybe you don’t enjoy using it against its current opposition, that’s fair, but it’s also subjective, whereas saying that it isn’t competitive is an objective statement… if it wasn’t competitive, I wouldn’t have net positive stats in it. Simple as.

That is why I have 3k matches in the Jagdtiger. Again a lot of people look at that sort of thing and just think “oh god, average German main” or think that I’m insane. And the latter is partly true. But I’m just a somewhat obsessive-type personality and I want to absolutely perfect my understanding of a vehicle I really like before I move on. When I can shoot planes out of the sky with the 128mm with one eye closed, then I’ll be satisfied. 😁

That doesn’t happen at any BR. 1.0 is extremely anachronistic as it is. And a lot of design compromises and functions our vehicles have, were designed with threats in mind that don’t exist in the game, mostly infantry, small arms, even mines.

Be aggressive with the Jagdtiger and your match will be very short. The true key to that vehicle is knowing when is the time to hang back and when is the time to push. It’s a difficult judgement call to make.

Not so the Tiger II.

When I first started playing the Tiger II and the Sla, I was still a noob and didn’t have a clue how to use them correctly. I had read the wiki articles, which recommended to sit back and favour engagement ranges above 900m to maximise the armour profile and the gun’s great ballistics, and since I hadn’t yet realised just how incomplete the wiki can be at times, I played the Tiger IIs very passively. Sat back and sniped. They were okay at it, but of course I ended up preferring the Jagdtiger because it was better at that particular job, and that’s how my love story with it began - and evolved considerably as I became better as a player over time, of course.

I only really came back to the Tiger IIs a few months ago. I was playing with this friend of mine who had returned to the game after a long absence. He’s someone who’s done plenty of tournaments and competitive stuff, so when I was introduced to him I was eager to learn from him. Our very first match together was on Sun City. I had an okay match in the Jagdtiger. He spawned the Tiger II H, and dropped a nuke.

Alright, I thought to myself, the friends who introduced me to him weren’t kidding. And I’ve seen over time playing with him that he’s the sort of player who’ll casually turn up one evening and drop thre nukes in three out of six matches and just make you understand in a very real way how far you still have to go to be really good at the game.

But I digress. At that point, all my nukes bar one had been with the Jagdtiger, and the other had been in a Dicker Max (yes, yes, I know). So that very same evening I opened up the replay of Sun City to see what this guy had done with his Tiger II to get the nuke.

I was astonished at how aggressive he was with it, because it went against the grain of everything I had been told about the vehicle. Oh, your armour doesn’t matter, oh, just sit back and snipe, etc etc. Then he turns up and does exactly what I described above - push aggressively, let people come to him after the first engagement so he has the advantage of reaction time, relocating a bit after each 2-3 kills, and just use the turret rotation, reload, and gun to hold a portion of the map and score multiple kills. And by the time they finally do get him, he has the nuke already.

I started trying to emulate that playstyle… and it works.

This is a long essay, I know, and very personal, which maybe nobody cares about in the slightest, but I think there is a lesson here for those who care to hear it. You can tell me the Tiger II isn’t competitive a thousand times, but I’ve seen what it can do, and when the stars align and I have more brain function than usual, I’ve approximated that achievement too.

Like I always say when clapping cold war vehicles with it… grandpa’s still got it.

I find that heavies like these make for amazing anti-flankers. Not surprising when you think about it, since you are forcing light vehicles into the frontal engagements they were trying to avoid by flanking.

With the Maus you just have to be very deliberate about which maps you decide to flank on or not. And even then, sometimes just trying ridiculous stuff in the game actually ends up working. On old Fields Of Poland I once flanked with the Maus all the way from the eastern spawn to the A point (a drive of over 2km) sticking close to the border of the map. It took me thre business days to get there, but I dropped on the enemy team unawares, got five kills and the cap. Because we had C and B was contested, that ended up swinging the match in our favour at the time. Try it five more times and it’ll end in disaster, but hey… it worked that day, and it’s one of my fondest memories of playing the Maus in RB (as opposed to SB). :D

You can delegitimise my opinion as parroting, if you so wish. It doesn’t make the underlying argument go away. The IKV is bad in every respect except the ammo. Why would you ever take all the tradeoffs it offered, if it didn’t offer at least one outstanding feature, its firepower? Same logic as the Sturer.

That’s a bit disingenuous. Look at my play history. I usually am the heavy or medium from WW2. So, don’t try to make it personal… I’ve never had the situation of trying to flank a Tiger II in a Hellcat. I play as the Tiger II clapping the Hellcat.

Just because I identify with other players and try to understand the perspective, doesn’t mean I’m arguing for the game to be made easier for me.

Literally none of the combos you have listed above are possible by normal BR matchmaking. Are you being hyperbolic?

That said…

The war also didn’t happen with the Germans having access to as many Tiger IIs as they wanted to, unlimited fuel and ammo. T-34s didn’t get a nice situational awareness without their commander cupola, and the models without turret baskets couldn’t reload unless the turret was facing straight on.

The war didn’t happen with no infantry and no tank-killing arty.

The war never saw massive tank battles in Antarctica or the American desert.

What kind of comment is that?

I won’t touch the CAS issue because this comment is long enough as it is, except to say that I do believe CAS has a balance problem, and yes, that it can be a crutch for players who would have to get better at ground otherwise.

It never, ever was.

Sim battles are RB battles with extra steps. They have less arcadey controls, but they’re not historically accurate by any stretch of the imagination, unless you think it’s historically accurate for a Maus, a Wiesel and a Conqueror to fight T-54s on Pradesh.

They don’t. Just the two vehicles I’ve based my examples on in this comment, the Jagdtiger and the Tiger II, play super differently. And they’re same BR, same lineup, same base chassis.

There is a discrimination. Performance.

No thread on this forum will change anything in this regard, because what you have working against you is all the times that Gaijin did try historical matchmaker (WW2 Chronicles, World War Mode) and it failed disastrously.

I’ll give you a piece of genuine advice. If you do want to create change, this is what you should do. There are Discord servers and player communities out there who organise historical roleplay matches, with incredibly accurate and narrow lists of vehicles allowed where, and what vehicles are allowed to do or not (they even have rules about which parts you are allowed to repair and which damage you should consider to be a mission-kill instead). It honestly looks incredibly interesting and I want to take part in it one day.

So, here’s what you do to test your hypothesis. Join one of these communities to play fully historical battles, or create one of your own. Create interest and buzz around it. If people like it, and start flocking to it, and it gains attention, Gaijin will see that there is an interest from players, they’ll swoop in, and make their own versions.

I’ll leave you with the overall rules used by one of these servers, War Thunder Ultrasim, and the preparatory document for the event they held to recreate the Battle Of Smolensk. Just reading them tickled my roleplayer fancies.

Rules: War Thunder Ultrasim Event Rules - Google Documenten

Smolensk: WTU - 1st Battle of Smolensk - Google Documenten

7 Likes

Not true actually .I say it and I say it under certain conditions and that is the reason I think for the OP in the first place.
So for example I can accept the uptier that maybe puts my Sherman up against a Tiger2 of Elephant or even a 4.7 German against an M18.
It can be annoying but does not leap out and scream surprise at you in an shocking and totally alien manner as being whacked by a 70s/80s beast.I can be annoying when turning a corner to face a full uptier of like-minded WW2 or late cold war but I can take that and have from day one.

Where 6-7 BR comes in the whole feel of the game falls apart for me and presumably others. We suddenly have this feeling of being in the wrong vehicle in the game.
Nowhere is this more pronounced that the 6.7 to 7.7 uptier where we really do take 22 to face the odds in the late 60s or even 70s.

That is the childish WoT scenario I went out of my way to avoid when choosing War Thunder and up to about 6-7 BR I pretty much got it

No doubt from what I hear but as I said can the game not work without a tier above? What would Gaijin say ?

There does and so many are asking for it have been for a long time.
Accepting every issue with the game does not solve issues.

Cutting the game in half gives you no more issues than you currently have as you already have a bottom tier and top tier with nothing below or above.

With newer later and faster vehicles (filler) clash with the established doctrine/meta/canon whatever, the gap is getting more and more pronounce and the game in heavy tanks less and less enjoyable.

Is the forum here to try and make the game better or just proudly announce how you support every long-term fault with it?

OK so run a thread claiming top tier is utterly broken and watch as the forum scream skill issue at you.

1 Like

Yes, I get that, but the problem is that this is completely subjective. Therefore Gaijin will go for the option that is the minimum common denominator and pisses the least amount of people off, and it works.

An example of this subjectivity. Yesterday I spawned in a Nashorn and there was a Paladin next to me and I was like man, this is some Twin Peaks fever dream shit. But then in a match after that I killed an ASU-85 with the PAK Puma and that was “normal” because of course the ASU-85, like the JPz 4-5, looks a bit like a StuG, and so the instinct part of my brain feels that it “fits” aesthetically.

That’s so arbitrary.

Now, I will make a different example which I hope will explain with absolute clarity what I mean when I talk about selective realism. For you, it’s seeing a time-travelling vehicle that is out of place. For me, even if we had perfect historical matchmaking…

I would, at some point, end up playing the Tiger II on American Desert.

Please understand. The idea of a Tiger II fighting in Nevada is, to me, more outlandish and implausible than a literal alien invasion scenario in which we have to fight sci fi tanks from an alien invader.

At least an alien invasion as a speculative what-if exercise rests on things that are simply unknown, but theoretically are physically possible (other life exists and has the means and motivation to come here).

Whereas the idea that a middling economy like Nazi Germany could crane the Tiger II onto a ship, then sail across the Atlantic, land it, operate it in a full combat scenario and then supply and sustain it, not just close to the coast, but inland, in fact deep inland into one of the most inhospitable areas of the continental United States, is simply ridiculous. There is no scenario starting from 1939 or even 1933 real world conditions that could ever possibly deliver you that result (and any radically different scenario would simply not lead to the Tiger II as we know it).

We could make a literal “strictly-by-date” matchmaker and eventually I would spawn in American Desert and remember, ah yes, this is a fun and silly game about vehicular combat and nothing more.

They’d say people play it and pay to get there faster even if it’s effectively an unbalanced open beta mess. And they’d be right.

It does though. I’ve listed some above, which haven’t been addressed yet, primarily surrounding research, progression, and balance of bad vehicles.

It got much much better after the summer decompression.

I’ve said it before and I’ve said it again. I am not a good enough player to compensate for the shortcomings of a bad tank. If the Tiger II really was so bad and out of the meta, I would not be dropping nukes with it, much less in uptiers.

The forum is an echo chamber, by and large. Remember the forum contains an infinitely minuscule minority of the wider player population. By, like, several orders of magnitude.

The overwhelmingly vast majority of players doesn’t bother with the forums, reddit, or even CCs, they just get back home from work or school, play the game for two hours, and move on with their lives. I was doing exactly that for the first year and a half I spent playing WT. Then I started lurking the old forum because I wanted to get better and learn. And only in Sep '23 I started writing posts here in the new forums.

This isn’t just a casual vs hardcore thing either. The tournament player I mentioned in my earlier post? He’s not on the forums. He learns of BR changes when he boots the game and sees that his Panther II is now 7.0 and needs to be swapped out if he wants to play 6.7 with me.

I have a few IRL acquaintances and three close friends who play WT and have for years - two of them since before there was such a thing as ground vehicles in the game… None of them frequent the forums, I’m the one sending them news and info that I read here first in my spare time.

The forum is useful to Gaijin, but not in the way you think. It can be very misleading to overstate its importance.

I could. But why would I do that? I took the much easier option. I concluded that top tier isn’t for me, so I don’t play it, and if people enjoy it, good for them. Simple as.

5 Likes

Many of the reasons given for quitting the game for good are subjective reasons. CAS, Cheats, Era mix ,BR etc it’s all subjective. What is of concern to one-person is of no concern to another.

Yep that’s it. Agreed. We have a forum to bitch about it and we are. Make no mistake I know full well that is all we can do and I am under no illusion that its something Gaijin will never change.

It’s a just a shame like many aspects of the game and something to be discussed on on a forum which in itself is just a useless way to kill a bit of time.

I don’t think there is any real disagreement between us as ultimately, we both accept the game as it is and still play it as it. The OP made a point and I agree with him and suggested where (if anywhere) I think the game should be cut. I don’t think it ever will be. Doing so would highlight the games faults even more.

War Thunder is like a pet snake that got too big for it’s owner to manage years ago :)
Like I said elsewhere.

Might as well paint your tank or plane red or blue and just go out and see how many kills you can get and forget any and every other aspect of realism. Spawn camp if want and use CAS just so long as it gets you there. That is all War Thunder boils down to and its all you have left after a couple of years playing. You might as well only play up to 3 BR because nothing changes after that. Its shoot and scoot, rank up the kills on the same old map whatever BR.

Like you said few of the players even use the forum, why spend time discussing a game without substance?

1 Like

Another way to solve this problem?

1 Like

How to put things out of context easy ^^ … how dare you :-P

2 Likes

Decompression is the answer. Not every nation leapt to HEATFS and APFSDS at the same time. So having some early cold war vehicles between WW2 and cold war proper is fine.

2 Likes

I think we just need every round to be as effective as APHE. If a light tank like the M41 actually takes out vehicles 90% of the time with side shots instead of merely 30-50%, it would be 8.0 just like the Leo or Char 25t.

Penetration might go up, gun and vehicle handling increases but that doesn’t mean much when a WW2 vehicle firing APHE is able to kill other vehicles much more consistently.

Of course it a also has benefits. Because of the low post-pen damage some nation can have much more vehicles available at lower BRs, complementing the few they have.

However this could be made invalid by simple giving infinite “back-ups” so you are not forced to use another vehicles after getting killed twice.

1 Like

There you go misquoting me again. Don’t try to cherrypick what I said. Unlike some people in this thread, I use puncutation to mark where my ideas end, and you seem to miss that every time you try to use that quote. If you want a gap for WW2 and early Cold War vehicles, then you need to do the same for Interwar and early WW2 vehicles. Maybe actually talk about that instead of trying to misconstrue what I say.

This, this has already been done. It doesn’t work no matter how you try to slice it. Major Warthunder Conent Creators have done videos talking about why you can’t do it. You can’t even decide which date (production, prototype completion, adoption, ect) to go by because each one matters differently for each vehicle. Beside the fact that you will artificially create a new bottom tier (early cold war) and top tier (late ww2) that will wreck the matchmaker and vehicle balancing. You can say it won’t create issues all day long, but your opinion isn’t factual. You don’t want to address anything anyone has said about those problems.

3 Likes

Nah, because of a major reason, balancing, and being able to have a counter to something, like say, the Maus, would (while being separated from CW vehicles) only be able to face the Super Pershing, which will only be able to side shot it if my memory is correct. I’m sure there are plenty that can side pen, but, matter being, most will not. Having more armor, and a worse gun, is an inherent part of heavies and worse guns, because better armor.

And some of these heavies have fantastic guns, like the Maus and Tiger II.

1 Like

I agree with you. They should change BR with better ammo too…

Punctuation marks are secondary to the point you are making, and you struggle to stick to yours irreverent of how we edit you. Stay on topic, keep it simple, make
your piont.

er… no we dont not at all…Next!!

1 Like

You must not know much about how grammar works. Puncutation is used for marking the end of a thought, aka a sentence. If there isn’t a period at the end the quote, then you haven’t properly quoted the idea. It’s called cherrypicking, and ignorant people do it all the time.

But we do, in fairness to all the vehicles with a gap in design philosophy and technology. The interwar vehicles have to face the overpowered early WW2 vehicles that they weren’t designed to fight. The warly WW2 vehicles have better armor, more advanced guns, better and better shells. So if we seperate late WW2 and early Cold War, then Interwar and early WW2 needs to be seperated too. If you disagree with that, then you basically disagree with your own idea because they follow the same basis.

5 Likes

Im not here to debate Grammar. I’m here talk about a possible way to make the game work better.

I am not saying you are wrong I just don’t take a split that lightly and only really thinking at Tier IV does it realty become an issue. Prior to that it may be an irritant to some but not a gameplay issue.

Maybe a couple of years ago I might have said that 6-7 was just an immersion irritant to me but now I see a game becoming pointless at a Tier level to the point I am staying away from what was a Favourite BR.

2 Likes

I hope they do change APHE and make it far more realistic. It’s going to cause some chaos for a while, but it will be better for the game overall.

1 Like

Yes, but they also have to correct the damage of the other bullets. As I wrote in another post, once you go from Br 6.7 and start using only HEAT, APDS and missiles, you stop depending on the skill to a large extent and you depend almost completely that the game wants you to kill or die. With the APDS a little less because their damage within the low range is a little more consistent, but with weapons with HEAT damage it is a real lottery where the game decides your destiny completely, regardless of skill. or whatever, for example in a game that I have played right now, a 90mm HEAT-FS has not pierced the front of the turret of a T-54 (1947), but it turned the turret and killed me in the second, in another I killed only the driver of a single tank, the second died, in another that same HEAT-FS bounced off the front of an M47, in another a Milan missile did no damage when it hit the rear of the turret of an American T34, and so on. All this is somewhat frustrating, the only thing I have learned from this is not to give importance to statistics, because as I said you have no control over them and the game decides whether you kill or die, at least from Br 6.7 upwards.

1 Like

Never killed a t54 with pzgr43 either on the maus or the jagdtiger by firing it on the UFP of the t54 that protection analysis is a total joke.Also i can play that game too.Have you ever heard of object 268 ? Have you seen its massive gun and its extremely potent HEAT round ? Do you know that it has a 14.5mm mg that can kill most light tanks and planes with ease ? How many German tanks can it head on ? At what BR does it also sit ? How many are its actual weakspots ? Just because its strong frontaly doesnt mean its unkilable so stop perpetuating this stuff.

Plenty of US tanks have APCR that can pen the sides of the “turret”/superstructure of the jagdtiger even from range and then theres tanks like the m103 that without the HEATFS cheating shell can UFP it from many distances and angles.I have used APCR against soviet tanks on lower BRs and somewhat higher ones when playing my panzer 3 and if you truly know where to shoot you are pretty ok

If i see any similar post im not replying.Learn to play

sure, Type62 is absolutely a T54😅, seens that you doesnt care about the “small countries club”

1 Like