Cluster Bombs

When you factor in all the inexperienced pilots. They would disagree. Those players already drop their bombs in revenge bombing. If you experienced you’re practically dropping 2 Handgrenades per person. Beside that if you even miss the position of these bombs your pretty much gonna speed running how fast you can become broke.

There is an interview with Gaijin’s CEO and it specifically asks him about cluster bombs.His take was that they are made as anti infantry so it was a no but he also felt the same way about napalm.

Times changed.

1 Like

1 Like

As to effectiveness, a Bl.755 for example disperses its 147 bomblets over roughly 300x150 meters area, meaning one bomblet per about 300 square meters (which is a square about 17.5x17.5 meters).

2x Bl.755 we have one per 150 square meters.

A Phantom with 8x Bl.755 released simultaneously would pepper that same are with 1176 bomblets, so one bomblet per 38 square meters (which is a square of 6x6 meters.)

This would mean a very high probability of a direct hit for all armoured vehicles in an area of 300 by 150 meters. You could easily clean out a cap point or spawn area with a handful of cluster bombs.

1 Like

No

We must remember that, fortunately, the cost in points to use an aircraft varies depending on its armament. Considering the potential, to use a Phantom with all that arsenal, at least 5 kills and the capture of a point should be required. ;-). This would ensure a certain balance.

Certainly in ARB, cluster bombs would help a lot in bombing bases and columns of tanks. For GRB, the situation must obviously be managed carefully given the already high controversy over CAS. However, frankly, there are Russian helicopters capable of firing anti-tank missiles from significant distances and repeatedly, just to give an example, not to mention laser-guided bombs or Mavericks.

1 Like

via GIPHY | Giphy, How to look pretty, Lightning gif

Here is my suggestion from 2020 that didn’t even get passed for consideration while many newer suggestions did get passed Type 2 Ta-Dan Heat bomb - Japan - War Thunder - Official Forum

Personally I feel the only people that will benefit from it in the current meta are the tryhards that keep bombing you after you have bested them in a 1v1 situation when I made the suggestion spawn camping and revenge killing was a problem but It has worsened from my time away from the game I don’t feel we should be adding to the current problem

You actually missed the spacebar there, my friend…

2 Likes

Still, I’d love to see them in game, powerful or not. Maybe with some form of restriction to game modes or per Spawn Points, I’m sure something could be figured out.

I’d very much enjoy “working” Sim EC ground battle events with my 'Hog with Rockeyes instead of 82’s. Especially to get those nearly invisible 105mm recoilless rifles…

2 Likes

More ordnance options the better in my opinion

If they introduce a true EC RB or something like that I can see cluster bombs being useful against fixed and moving ground targets while not being game breaking. But these bombs would absolutely mess GRB or current ARBs.

It may also cause significant levels of TKing/kicks. So people would need to be very cautious about how it’s utilized. May incentivize more fighters and Anti-Air.

However, as others said should be something to implement when anti-air becomes more of a focus for an Update since rn. AA no matter the Era is just severely lacking behind. To the point that it is a problem since there just isn’t enough flexibility.

You better tell Anton he is wrong 😆

Why are you posting this to me ? you need to tell Gaijin’s CEO : )

the cluster bombs I’m thinking of are ones that detonate on impact. I do not think land mines should ever enter the game because that would get so aggravating to be driving along and just get exploded.

2 Likes

That’s fine and I agree.I think I had my wires crossed regarding what was intended.

Just gives more incentive for folks to fire MG’s at them.

Even so, with regard to the anti-infantry SD 2 bomb, it would still be lethal to light, weak, silly, or open-top vehicles such as the M3, M8 car, M8, M10, M13, M15, M16, M18, Super M18, M19, M36, M42, M56, LVT(A)(4), T55E1, SU-5-1, SU-57, ASU-57, ZiS-30, SU-76, SU-85A, SU-100P, GAZ-AAA 4M, GAZ-AAA DShK, GAZ-MM 72-K, YaG-10 29-K, BTR-152A, ZiS-12 94-KM, ZiS-43, ZSU-37, BTR-152D, BTR-ZD, M53/59, ZUT-37, ZSU-57-2, BM-13, BM-31, Archer, Achilles, Light AA Mk 1, Staghound AA, Crusader AA, Ystervark, Bosvark, SARC MkIV, SARC MkVI 2, SARC MkVI 6, Alecto I, Ram, and other similar vehicles.

Furthermore, as already mentioned, the anti-tank SD 4 bomb is a hollow charge bomb, so his excuse is not applicable to this ordnance especially since it was the standard aerial anti-tank weapon of the Luftwaffe:

3 Likes