Challenger 2 MBT - Technical data and Discussion

ASPRO-HMT is a hybrid passive/reactive armor and does not detonate on KE threats at all as seen in the brochure.

2 Likes

That’s the composition for the lower block. The central plate is just 40mm RHa

Thats my point, the strikeface of the ERA plays no roll in the protection against KE as it shouldn’t be denotating.

Right. But since ASPRO-HMT is a hybrid, you still have multiple layers of “chobham type” material that is actively providing KE protection.
The ERA may not be activating, sure.
But the passive tiles need to be hit frontally between 30 degrees ± or you begin missing tiles and the test is invalidated.

Exactly so tell me how Chobam decreases in effectiveness at higher angles. It doesn’t.

And here is my example i love to tell people. Imagine you have a jar with gunpowder. The jar is full and the cap on it has a hole just your finger size. Imaginne you put your finger into it. Will you be able to push it all the way? Will it stop kinetic enegry you are pressing at it without exploding? EXPLOSIVES ARE PHYSICAL OBJECTS, they do not need to explode to provide kinetic resistance. Sure it wont be the same as for example steel, BUT ITS STILL THERE.

Because it’s layed out in tiles.

If you fire a round at a higher angle and hit the bricks side, you will be hitting less chobham tiles than if shot frontally.

You have to hit frontally for the test to be valid as you’re counting every tile in the test, not missing ones.

Gimme a min to get out of bed, i’ll draw it for you lol

Breaking it down;

The ERA affords no protect against KE as it will not detonate.
The Hybrid composite element is most effective as the LOS increases
The LOS increases the higher off 0 degree
Using your definition of the STANAG spec that would mean at angles greater and less than 30 and -30 degree the chobam elements reduce in effectiveness

1 Like

it states its on a 30º angle from centrepoint. it doesnt state its exclusively on the 30º angle.

Center point of the frontal arc which when talking of armoured vehicles is the front of the tank/vehicle.

I think you’ll find the materials used for ERA when not denotating to provide their protection don’t particularly have high KE effectiveness.

exactly, but there is no vehicle here so…

as I said, the fact that it is low does not mean it is not there.

Right but we’re talking some 10mm of protection. From the various slabs.

10mm for a for example 83mm penetrating bullet is around 13% That is a bigger number than it seems

That’s not what the STANAG rating describes.

Right but its not the bulk of the protection afforded to a KE impact, that’s the composite layers.

1st - it’s the over all width of the lower armour 200mm plus it has a 40mm backplate

2nd - it 40mm RHA + 200mm block

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/496995636709949440/1197858795876012053/39PabON2.jpg?ex=65bccbf0&is=65aa56f0&hm=7297936a8742070a32d148ab75c1add55b4e3b3b1a33fd6bcf6c53108a36c6f6&

ASPRO-HMT (Hybrid MTAP) is layered, with repeating tiles of passive and reactive elements. The reactive elements do nothing in KE. Ignore them. The passive is the KE defence for this armor.

When shooting between -30 and +30 degrees, follow the orange lines and you can see it will engage every tile. This is the maximum protection ASPRO provides kinetically.

Now if we increase the angle and fire a projectile at it, we miss a large portion of the tiles at the back. This invalidates the test as you have not engaged the entire strike face in the attack, hence why there is a -30 to +30 cone restriction. You must be testing relatively head on, to hit only the intended impact surface of ASPRO. Not the sides or corners or back.

6 Likes