Challenger 2 MBT - Technical data and Discussion (Part 1)

Mine are in a weird place where they are high and 0 at the same time

This twitter thread seems to suggest no Challenger 2 (aside from the 2E) got a 1,500 hp engine:
https://twitter.com/JonHawkes275/status/1713890397750018557

Oh god i have to make a Twitter account to see this :/

If you don’t mind a few more ads: Thread by @JonHawkes275 on Thread Reader App – Thread Reader App

Here’s the thing with this.

I don’t care if they don’t have it in real life, I really don’t.

The war thunder transmission system is clearly very primitive, which means no regenerative steering. Combine that with the atrotious gearing implementation and you have a tank which in no way reflects how it is in real life.

In this situation, Gaijin should just hand-wave it away and make the engine 1500hp to compensate for their inability to get the tank moving properly in any other way.

I don’t care if the tank doesn’t really have it. If that Russian plane can get the IRST it never had fitted, and the goddam 2s38 exists in game at all, and the kronstadt is in game all point to double standards when it comes to stuff like this.

They can’t even go back to “it’s not what our docs say!1!” with the recent M735 nerf based on dodgy data and bad reading skills whicih wasn’t immediately rolled back.

Give the TES up 1500hp and call it a day as we are clearly never getting a transmission implementation other than the HP/2 system we have now.

1 Like

Ok i read it, and it is all just about HAAIP, and let me tell you. If something CAN have it, does not mean it will get it in game. It would have to had it irl to have it in game, unless gaijin changes the way they do things. If so all Cr2 can mount HAAIP, TISP, RCWS and even Iron Fist. Duh, all Cr2 s could mount all armor packages. But what would kill the porpose of different tanks. But HAAIP TISP and RCWS could be implemented painlessly

The main point though is that even with the new cooling system in the HAAIP upgrade the engine cannot be cooled sufficiently for it to run at 1,5000 hp. So it seems very unlikely we will get a 1,500 hp Challenger 2 in game (outside of the 2E).

HAAIP may theoretically allow the engine to be run at 1,350 hp though if the Government can be convinced to pay for it.

First things first, they wont pay. When it comes to cooling im sure there would be a way to work around it, but i doubt mod will lay the money

That is the point of the thread. For HAAIP to run the engine at 1,500 hp would require a larger cooling system, which in turn would require a redesign of the rear potion of the CR2 hull. So there’s the first solution.

The contractor has stated they think they can squeeze out 1,350 hp while maintaining the current form factor, which is the second solution.

So far the MOD haven’t funded either option so the CR2 / CR3 is likely to remain at 1,200 hp. As the first option requires unspecified changes to the rear hull layout it seems the second option is the best we can hope for in game (because Gaijin will pull out an excuse like “we can’t remodel the rear of the hull if we don’t know what it would look like”).

2 Likes

I doubt either will be funded, as tanks in the infantry support does not need to go around fast, or so mod says, so no need to upgrade the engine

I suspect you’re right, the MOD doesn’t exactly have much spare cash lying around, and AJAX is probably busy chomping its way through whatever little they do have.

6 Likes

Well at least the LEP will have a better dart hopefully

If we take the LEP as what became a Cr3 demo, then yea, dm 63. If you take the early LEP concept, it will keep the l27

But what happen to TISP? I can find bearly anything about it, while Cathereine specs can be found. Was it trailed? Installed? Or simply left to rot?

we it wasn’t the demonstrator before the one with new L55 was the black night right

Not the BN, the even earlier concept that just said, upgrades to Cr2. Make it survive more, wcs/sights upgrade, make it faster ect

1 Like

The later one is more likely due to the more noticeable upgrades
I would love it to be streetfighter but chance of that is zero

Or we get this

1 Like

SF2 will be just a normal Cr2 without the brims

They can’t do that the whole point of it is that it has an ATGM launcher