Canadair Sabre F.4: The RAFs Best Aircraft Was ... Canadian?

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

Canadair Sabre F.4

Hello, and welcome to my suggestion for the CL-13 Mk.4 in RAF Service, the Sabre F.4! I feel this could come to game as a nice alternative to the already in game Swifts and Venoms at around 8.7 to help boost the diversity of the British Tree. I also feel this would be a relatively easy addition due to the CL-13 Mk.4 already existing in the Italian Tech tree

History

Spoiler

The Sabres in RAF service are often forgotten about by both enthusiasts and historians alike, mainly due to the Sabres rather short service life of barely 5 years in service, however it was one of the most used aircraft in the RAF during that time, even more than domestic alternatives at the time such as the Supermarine Swift, Making it an integral part of RAF History and something often forgotten to history.

The story starts in the Early 50s, as the RAF’s Meteor and Vampire fighters were rapidly becoming obsolete, with the appearance of the Soviet Mig-15 that completely outclassed almost everything about these aircraft at the time, furthermore due to the severe lack of aircraft development compared to other Nations during late 40s britain had fallen severely behind in technology, and with both the Swift and Hunters that were to replace the ageing aircraft still severely delayed, the RAF began searching for something that could act as a stop gap until more capable aircraft became available.

As the UK desperately searched for an aircraft capable of being deployed in large numbers in a very short period of time, the USA Agreed to allow the Supply of 430 Canadian Built Sabres built under the Mutual Defence assistance act to Britain in order to stop the RAF from being completely outclassed against the brand new Soviet Fighters.

The Sabres equipped 12 Squadrons in RAF Service, with 11 being based in West Germany across several bases operated jointly by the West German Luftwaffe and the RAF, with them being the first line of defence against any potential Soviet invasion from the east, the one squadron remaining in the UK, 92 Squadron, was part of the RAF Fighter command and protected British airspace from any Soviet Bombers coming in from the north sea. The Pilots of the sabres (several of which had served alongside American Sabres during the Korean War) often referred to them as “Being a joy to fly” with many pilots expressing disappointment as the newer Swift and Hunter Aircraft Replaced them in the mid to late 50s.

from 1956 to 1958 all of the Sabre F.4s were returned to the US in which they underwent extensive refurbishment in order to be redistributed to other nations air forces, after their upgrade they were redesignated as F-86E(M) and 121 Sabres were given to Yugoslavia and another 179 Sabres being given to Italy with them operating well into the 70s.

Images

Spoiler

A Sabre F.4 of 92 Squadron taking off from RAF Linton-on-Ouse, Circa 1956

Several Sabres of 112 Squadron over West Germany, the Unique Shark Teeth markings were given under special dispensation from the air ministry

A Sabre of 112 Squadron Flying alongside the Hunter due to replace it, Circa mid 1956

Ex RAF Sabre painted in USAF Markings prior to being sent to either Italy or Yugoslavia in 1967

Several RAF Sabres Flying in Formation

An early model Hunter Flying next to 2 Sabre F.4s

A coloured Diagram showing the Paint scheme of 112 Squadron

Sabre F.4 on display at the RAF Museum Hendon

A Sabre of 93 Squadron in Germany circa 1956

Specs/ Armament

Spoiler
Manufacturer North American, designed and built by Canadair
Crew / passengers One pilot in ejection seat
Powerplant General Electric J-47-GE-14 Turbojet
Maximum speed 590 mph (949 km/h)
Service ceiling 47,200 ft (14 386 m)
Empty weight 10,434 lb (4,737 kg)
Gross weight 14,577 lb (6,618 kg)
Span 37 ft 11½ in (11.57 m)
Length 37 ft 6 in (11.43 m)
Height 14 ft 9 in (4.50 m)
Wing area 287.9 sq ft (26.74 m2)
Armament Six .50-cal machine guns plus provisions for tanks, bombs and rockets (unguided)

Why it should be in game

Spoiler

The Sabre F.4 Should come to game as alternative to the Vampire and Swift at 8.7, it would allow players to trade armament for a far more manoeuvrable or much faster airframe and would also help to bulk out the british tree at higher ranks, especially given that the UK doesn’t really have any aircraft like it as the Swifts are far less manoeuvrable, whilst the Venom is grossly outperformed in everything except turn fights by everything at its BR

Sources

Spoiler

Canadair Sabre - Wikipedia
Canadair Sabre F4 (CL-13) - UK - Air Force | Aviation Photo #0506993 | Airliners.net
Canadair CL-13 Sabre
Canadair Sabre 4 - RAF Museum
https://www.canada.ca/en/air-force/services/aircraft/f-86-sabre.html
Captcha

8 Likes

Even more of a yes than the F.2. Should definitely be in the tree as it was used in service and as you mentioned, offers a much needed alternative.

+1

4 Likes

Definitely a long time coming. We had 430 of them with almost all serving in RAF Airfields in Western Germany, it would be a crying shame to not have this iconic aircraft that served in the RAF be in the tech tree.

+1

2 Likes

+1, this aircraft would definitely be a great addition at 8.7, and should replace the Venom which is severely oviertiered at its current place.

2 Likes

I love the Vampire and Venom but I can’t bring myself to play them because of how overtiered they are.

My hope is that as this is a carbon copy of aircraft in other trees it’s BR should be more stable and fair.

3 Likes

It wpuld also be an increadibly quick and easy way to add something mid-high teir for Britian, it would literally be a copy and paste from the italian one with a new skin or two being the only work. (Hardly an arduous task, Gaijin isnt mojang after all)

Not that we shouldnt get other aircraft around this teir though, like the Gnat, Sea Vixen or different variants of other aircraft

3 Likes

CL-13 Mk.4 is the export name of the F-86A iirc so you’re just asking for a C&P of a C&P

No it isn’t the export name but the Candian built name and who care if it already is in game the RAF used them for 5 years and should be added to the British tree

2 Likes

CL-13 Mk 4 is the fourth version of the Canadair Saber.

“CL” was Canadair’s production name for the longest time. not any US export name.

The Mk. 4 was mostly built for the UK in the first place anyways under a mutual aid program.

And it’s considered a sidegrade to the Mk. 2 which is considered an F-86E-type, not an F-86A.

3 Likes

I never argued against it going into the British tree :/

Also thanks for the correction on that, I’m a bit rusty on jet knowledge