Can we finally uptier the 2S38 to a BR where it sits with it's contemporaries or will it always be an underteired meme?

Except I’m American as stated by my profile, I’m defending the HSTVL against slander, and I’m acknowledging both the power and weaknesses of 2S38 professionally.

So no… no Russian.
I’ve been slandered almost exclusively by others that defend Russian military equipment from my criticisms.

I’ve never once defended 2S38, and the posts of mine on this forum prove this.
So either you posted wrong information unintentionally or there’s malice in your post.

I wouldn’t say you’re defending either
But you are making HSTV-L look better than it is
If it really is as good as you claim it is, why wasn’t it adopted for US service?

Begleit can move to 10.0 if it gets TOW2 and its variants
EDIT: 2S38 would be good at 9.7 without APFSDS. It would still be great SPAA

You have never even played the HSTVL-2 so how do you even know how it is in battles when the only thing you are going off of is other people playing it and maybe some battle stats.

2 Likes

Shots fired……. 😂

If they met in battle who’d win? Depends on the player but the advantage would be for the 2s38. That’s how I base my comparison.

No, I’m saying that HSTVL is 0.7 - 1BR superior to 2S38 cause it is.
The reason why HSTVL failed is because it was anti-tank only, which IRL means little but in WT means everything.

That’s why I defend the HSTVL, I know it’s good, and I know its role in WT makes it FAR more powerful than IRL.

It’d be Strf 9040C vs 2S38 since they’re more equal. HSTVL would get to a position before either and ambush them with its engine off.

@The_Marco_Polo
Cause I understand cross analysis and I’m in general mid with these types of vehicles as is.
Type 89 was the only vehicle of similar type I was “good” with but it was VERY OP.

I don’t use player stats as that’s how to screw up analysis. You can only ever use ONE player’s stats if you compare like-vehicles being OP or not.
Which is why you can look at my stats and see that Type 89 was very OP when comparing its stats to other IFVs.

Look up my stats and give me your opinion.preferably my HSTVL k/d

It’s not 0.7 or 1 BR higher
It’s 1.3 higher which means these two will never see each other in standard circumstances. Note that I said “standard circumstances” because BR spread is +/-1.0. 2S38 can be brought to higher BR with higher BR lineups.

Also, why the such need to defend it? If it is such a good tank then it needs no “defending”, it’s virtues would speak for itself, yet you keep pushing them into people’s faces

1 Like

Yet its still having issues? Spall liners have made it so much worse in top tier (for all vehicles for that matter).
Why should only Sweden and Russia get somewhat good light tanks for their BR?
But in the end I can’t defend nor advocate for either one of these vehicles because I don’t have them.

1 Like

I’ve tried maintaining neutral standpoint because I’m in same boat as you.
But I’ve encountered 2S38 way more than HSTV-L.

You’ve encountered more 2S38s cause it’s easier to get to, that’s really it.
Volume =/= power.
Otherwise F-15 is the most powerful jet in the game by volume.

Ive read some of the comments here and i think a lot of people are missing the point of why 2s38 is strong-it rights NATO tanks that have prominent weak points and no ERA/relikt everywhere (also its rounds seems to do a lot of DMG). Look at puma- its kinda similar to 2s38, but no one plays it, and why? Because you mostly fight russia and even if you make a flank, you will sometimes just RNG die because ERA blocks on the side of russian tank will just stop 10 of your rounds, russian guy will just swing his turret and 1 tap you while 2s38 will instantly start to knock your crew. Same goes to frontal engagements, most NATO tanks have weak spots that will disable tank 9/10 times even while using low caliber rounds, while russian frontal weakspots are limited and also RNG heavy (like sometimes you fire at T series driver hatch and you one shot it, and other times your Shell will just shatter at optics). I think gaijin needs to decide what they want thier top tier light tanks to be, either they can kill MBT with relative ease (2s38 stays where it is but puma gets buffed or BR reduced), or they cant (and puma stays where it is but 2s38 gets nerfed/NATO tanks get ERA blocks everywhere).

Alrighty, as a Sweden main i’m gonna have to ask how the fuck you came to the conclusion that the 9040C is similiar to the 2S38 so i went in and checked

Smaller turret
Unmanned turret
Practically empty turret so nothing for spalling
Smaller breech
Bigger caliber
48° more turret elevation
6° faster turret elevation
11° faster turret rotation
IRST tracking
APCBC with 151mm pen without SL cost
APFSDS shells with 50mm more pen but costs less SL
HE-VT shells with more 2m more trigger radius + more explosive
Laser warning system
ESS smoke
Better gunner optics
Can carry 28 more rounds

Please come back to me with the huge disadvantages the 2S38 has so we can have a fair comparison
I’ll give you 3 freebies
-5° compared to -8°
20 ready rounds compared to 24
0.5 reload compared to 0.2

3 Likes

4- Which is one of the reasons I think Strf 9040C is 0.3 BRs lower than 2S38, the other is the less pen.
5- Turret speeds are primarily for anti-air duties which won’t impact BR after diminishing returns.
7- IR tracking makes it 9.3 in BR, thus doesn’t impact its current BR.
8- Begleitpanzer, and Strf 9040C gets APFSDS without SL cost.
9- HE-VT makes 2S38 9.3 as seen with M247, thus doesn’t impact its current BR.
10- Which Leopard 1A5 has for Italy without impacting BR.
11- Thermals see through this.
12- Slightly yes.
13- Same first stage size.

I’m not trying to be mean or anything but trying to read this is actually killing my brain
can you give me something a bit more managable to the eyes?

I dont think the 2S38 is OP, but I often find it annoying when people who knows how to play the game plays them. At least when playing Italy, they tend to explode violently when a hale of 25mm APFSDS flew into them. They are admittely more of a threat when I am playing Britain or Israel.
I dislike the 2S38 at 10.0 not because of anything on itself, but I am an owner of both the HSTV-L and OTOMATIC. Compared to that, the OTOMATIC should be 10.7 plus its APFSDS limit removed, both at the same time.

2 Likes

2S38 is in-line with my general IFV performance in WT, but…
I haven’t gotten around to using HSTVL and ANY Strf 9040 for 50+ matches yet.

However… Cavenub of YouTube has, an amazing player in their own right.

3.54:1 KDR [not counting air kills].

3:1 KDR.

2.72:1 KDR.

Clearly the vehicles are balanced to some extent where they are presently, though there is disparity among this player of up to .8 KDR.

Comparative analysis dictates that the Strv 9040C should be worse than 2S38 because of a worse turret and penetrator.
However, player performance in this picked example shows that Strf 9040C over-performed.
Examples like this explain why 2S38 and Strf 9040C are both the same BR.

And @汉城战车道_장태완 makes excellent points as well.
And OTOMATIC is definitely over-BR’d which we can all agree on.

1 Like

Problem here is that any newbie player can just outright buy the 2S38 meanwhile the people using Strf9040C would have most likely researched it, meaning they are more experienced as they would have more matches and knowledge about the maps + the vehicles they are fighting
Therefor this is just a skill difference rather than vehicle difference
This is also why a mid tier prop plane can take out a top tier premium plane with ease sometimes

if you’d want a accurate data on this, you’d need to have 2 group of people with similiar skill and hours, one side using the 9040C and the other 2S38, play a few rounds on a map occasionally switching sides of the map

Afterwards you would want to switch out the groups so they are now using the other vehicle and repeat the process
This would give the most accurate data i believe but having this done probably won’t happen

Anyway, can you get back to me with that list?

Edit:
Taking a quick look at Cavenub’s video for both vehicles
His description for the 9040C is that it’s a good vehicle and he finds it fun to ammo rack tanks

Meanwhile for the 2S38 it says he doesn’t like it because he feels like it’s meant for a more aggresive gameplay (which a lot of new players tend to be)

Based on this you could think of the 9040C actually needing to go for weak points while the 2S38 can just shoot everything as it drives as the caliber and ammo allows this, especially if you’re behind cover with only the turret peaking out

You can also take a look at the comment section too see that most people are saying it’s overperforming for it’s BR and needs to go up at least 0.7 or 1

I was unware of this but 2S38s Prox fuze shouldnt be prox fuze it should be Programmable fuze IE like the AHEAD rounds on Puma which dont really work because Gaijin dont model programmable fuzes very well
https://twitter.com/TheDeadDistrict/status/1475070016408236032?lang=en