Cactus SAM (SAVH) - Now with even sharper spines!

Would you like to see Cactus SAM (SAHV) in-game?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

TL;DR: Upgraded Cactus surface to air missile system firing unit equipped with 12km 40g missile.

Hello, and welcome to my suggestion. Today i want to present a upgrade to spiky shield that has been protecting South African skies for years.

Introducing:

Cactus (SAHV)

Ok, but first things first, lets talk about its history a little.

In 1960 South Africa was mainly operating gun based self propelled anti air systems. While up unill that point they were enough to keep the sky clear, faster planes with longer range armament started to appear all around the world. That forced SA government to take action. Originally SA tried to obtain SAM systems from UK, but they were refused. July 1964 marks date where South Africa placed a development contract with Thomson-CSF for a mobile SAM system. The South African government paid 85% of the development costs of the system. Platform chosen to house the system was Hotchkiss P4R. The first firing os the system was in 1967. After trials in 1971 the first of seven platoons was delivered to South Africa with the final one delivered in 1973. While initially Cactus was doing its job very well, one of the most notable usages of Cactus system is repelling Angolan Migs 21 and 23 in 1988, as time passed the system started to show its age. This resaulted in creation of a requirement for a new missile and upgrades of Cactus system. Altech Defence Systems carried out Cactus upgrades, while Kentron designed the new missile. First system was completed in 1991, and in the same year first tests commenced. Tests ended in 1993, but due to stable conditions in the region SAHV never entered serial production for SANDF, but found it niche in the export market, while Cactus sytems were converted into shelter versions. System was moved out of service in early 2000, replaced by Umkhonto missile.

Now that we are done with the history, its time to talk about the specifications.

General:

Length: 6,22m
Width: 2,72m
Height: 3,5m
Weight: 15,190 tonnes (SAHV-3)
Engine: Gasoline engine powering alternator, which output is managed and redirected to DC motors driving the four wheels.
Suspension: Messier hydropneumatic 4x4 with 2 front wheels steering
Max speed: 80km/h
Crew: 2 Driver, Gunner
Protection:
3-5mm

Track radar:

Radar: Thomson-CSF TRS 3207
Type: circular parabolic monopulse radar
Band: IEEE: Ku NATO: J
Range: 17km
Command transmitter (Used to guide the missiles): IEEE: X NATO: I
Radar can track one target and guide 2 missiles at once

Optics:

TV and TVD
IRST range: >14km
TVD: Gen 1

Armament:

Missiles: 4

Main Missile

Missile: SAHV-3
Guidance type: RF CLOS
Length: 3.08m
Diameter: 180mm
Weight: 123kg
Warhead: 22kg HE-fragmentation
Proximity fuse: 10m RF with 95% kill probability, ability to destroy alternate targets such as missiles
Engine: single-stage solid fuel smokeless propellant
Max speed: 3.5 Mach
Max range: ~14.5km
Max effective range: 12km
Max effective altitude: 8km
Time of flight:
to 12 000 m: 17 s
to 8 000 m: 9.5 s
to 6 000 m: 4.9 s
to 4 000 m: 3 s
Speed at 12 000m: ~1.5 Mach
Steering: 4 rear fins
Maneuverability: peak 40g single-plane, 6G single-plane at 20 000ft height
Guidance time: 24s

Missile envelopes

Possible Missiles

Missiles listed here were never seen mounted on the vehicle, but they are part of the same missile family, and vehicle could shoot them without any modificiations.

Missile: SAHV-IR
Guidance type: Initial DL + flare resitant dual channel IR seeker.
Length: 3.28m
Wingspan: 404mm
Weight: 130kg
Proximity fuse: 10m RF with 95% kill probability, ability to destroy alternate targets such as missiles
Max speed: 2.95 Mach
Max effective range: 8.5km
LOBL: up to 3km
LOAL: 3-8km
Seeker max aquisition range: 7.700m with 100° cone scan sector
DL: used untill missile seeker is able to aquire designated target, after obtaining lock DL is terminated
Max effective altitude: 7.3km
Maneuverability: peak 40g single-plane

Missile: SAHV-RS
Guidance type: Initial DL + ARH seeker.
Length: 3.6m
Wingspan: 404mm
Weight: 137kg
Max speed: 2.8 Mach
Max effective range: 13km
LOBL: up to 10km
LOAL: 8-13km
Seeker max aquisition range: 10 000m with >90° cone scan sector, home on jam
DL: used untill missile seeker is able to aquire designated target, after obtaining lock DL is terminated
Max effective altitude: 7.3km
Maneuverability: peak 40g single-plane

Missile envelope

This sums up my suggestion. While the vehicle by itself lack search radar, combination of strong missiles, powerfull radar and IRST will make it a force to be reckoned with on the battlefield.

Pictures

Cactus during presentation, equipped with 2 SAHV-3 containers and 2 R440 containers for the sake of comparasion

Cactus during SAHV-3 firing trials

SAHV-3 Missile

SAHV-IR Missile

SAHV-IR and SAHV-RS Missiles

Sources

Janes Land Based Air Defenses 1993-94
Janes Land Based Air Defenses 1992-93
Janes Defense weekly 23 november 1991
Nowa Technika Wojskowa 1/1994
International Defense Review 1991 Iss 11
The South African Air Force
Hotchkiss P4R Crotale (1971)

6 Likes

+1

2 Likes

So no search radar and a very capable missile. 11.0 anyone?

1 Like

Very much needed

Type81 doesn’t have radar either yet its at toptier. It should be fine at 11.0 or 10.7

1 Like

if i were to give it a BR rn, it would probably be 11.3. You lack search radar and the platform mobility would not be the best thing ever, but you have Track radar+IRST, and the missiles are VT-1 but better.

1 Like

However the missile is a LOT better and is radar guided (unless they give it the IR version) 100% It’s just as good as the Pantsir and will be 12.0

1 Like

+1 Spiky boi. Yummy SAVH vehicle.

Not necessarily, yes its missiles seem to be better than the Type 81 (IR one as well) but it only gets 4. Pantsir gets 12 missiles with a extremely good search and track radar making it able to shoot down munitions reliably. Should be fine at the same BR or even 0.3 lower since it gets half as many missiles. Only 4 is a big deal.

This won’t matter when the constructable ammo depots are implemented.

If Gaijins implements them as they said, it would be double the ammo for everyone. So that would still be a small amount compared to others.

It’s still significantly better than 4 missiles, which is the issue. 8 missiles is quite sufficient for one game, especially if you’re spawning in late.

Not for me for sure. I first spawn SPAA and try to remove everything that flies.

I agree that would be an issue, however, it’s a pretty specific issue that I don’t think many players would have simply due to how SPAAMs are used in War Thunder. In my opinion, how much extra ammo a depot gives should be directly tied to the ammunition of the base vehicle.

Spoiled by Stormer I see

Stormer. Oh man, i have not touched that for a while.

True, 8 should be enough for a standard player.

1 Like

So you’re saying 10.7? Now we just need to wait for BR decompression

I dont think it woudl go down to 10.7. The missiles are too strong.

Looks like it would be a great solution for a top tier SPAA for Britain past the Stormer (that doesn’t count the ADATs upcoming change to SPAA from SPG).