British Weapon Systems - Technical data and discussion

It’s an air-to-ground radar for detecting ships. Not sure if it had any capability against land targets.

1 Like

As far as I know SRAAM was only fitted to a Hunter & a Harrier. There is a photo of a Sea Vixen next to a pair of Taildogs (SRAAM’s little brother) though.

2 Likes

Considering that the AIM-95 was adjacent to the Taildog there is a chance that F-4’s were fitted for them at some point. and even then there are F-4J refit(s) that, the base model was tested with the AIM-95 so there is at least a consistent reason the said implementation.

Agile_flight_test_on_F-4

1 Like

Looks like jag to me

Tornado is the one in the middle xD

I’ve put in a suggestion for the Jaguar GR1A to get SRAAM.

4 Likes

Worth a try, but I’m guessing the Devs will turn it down claiming the image is of a Jaguar International (pretty sure I remember hearing that answer a lot in the Jaguar thread on the old forum).

I suppose you could argue at that point in the Jag’ International development it was just a GR.1A with some international branding on it.

As its from this display;

Captioned;

This Jaguar from 226OCU was painted with Jaguar International titles for Farnborough Air Show.

Which implies its just a paint job at this point. And we know SRAAM required little effort to integrate as it was a self contained system.

I agree the Jaguar International is essentially a GR.1A. I’m just pretty sure I remember Smin shooting down various weaponry requests (R.550, AS.30 etc.) based on them being Jaguar International weapons.

Foreign weapons is understandable but SRAAM, I’m less inclined to think should wait for the International.

AFAIK the photos are from the mid-1970s, several years before the GR.1A version came about in 1983, so it might be a shout for adding it to the regular GR.1 as well (I would rather have 9Ls on the GR.1A honestly). The over-wing pylons were long-established for Jaguar International before the RAF decided it needed them too.
To be honest, SRAAM is probably be more appropriate on the regular GR.1 in terms of time period alongside the Hunter F.6 and Harrier GR.1 that already have it.

2 Likes

Just realised the Jaguar in that image has BL755s on a twin stores carrier, in tandem under the fuselage. So four bombs in total.

Not seen that before.

3 Likes

@Gunjob Look what I just found…

You were after proof of this weren’t you?

3 Likes

SRAAM was supposed to be integrated into the UK Phantom for testing, but was canceled by Congress due to budgetary concerns

2 Likes

The UK has a congress? Someone best let Parliament know ;)

1 Like

You know I’m not a native English speaker :)

Just have some fun mate don’t worry! :)

2 Likes

Only for ships, and it has a ground mapping mode if I’m not mistaken.

SRAAM was supposed to be integrated into the UK Phantom for testing, but was canceled by Congress due to budgetary concerns

We got literal fraud Japanese Aircrafts, complete wrong model of Radar for the F-4 UKs and wrong AGM-65s for the Harrier GR.7, so really I don’t see a issue with the addition of the SRAAM onto the British Phantoms.

1 Like

There really isn’t much difference between the British Phantom’s radars and the F-4J’s radar IRL.