British Helicopter Tech Tree - Discussion Topic

That’s a cool photo. It shows the countermeasures dispensers and IR jammer fitted. There aren’t many pictures of that online.

1 Like

Here’s the link to the section on the old forums, if anyone wishes to access any information from there:

My Wessex HU.5 suggestion is up:

1 Like

1963 footage of Wessex HAS.1 (Commando) firing SS.11

Also shows a Whirlwind HAS.7 equipped with 2" rockets from a Matra No.6 launcher. And regarding the Whirlwind, there’s a snippet in this RAF periodical that states that in 1964, some Whirlwinds of No.225 Squadron were capable of firing SS.11
whirlwind
225 Sqn. operated the Whirlwind HAR.10 at this time

1 Like

This is quite interesting.

So far I have only personally see Whirlwinds with MG / Rocket installations. More info would be great:

Spoiler

Whirlwind-Mk-7
Whirlwind

1 Like

Might prove difficult to find images if only 3-4 Whirlwinds of a single squadron (225) were capable but there’s an IWM recording of an oral account of Whirlwind being equipped with SS.11

It’s in the 15th reel of 24, from 10:45 onwards:

We got to Singapore, and they demanded that I fly off all four Whirlwinds. Now, I knew that they just wanted one Whirlwind with the maximum amount of flying hours, fitted with Nord because we only had a few that were fitted and that it was to be used for training purposes.

It was required with the maximum flying hours so they could do the training for firing the Nord.

18:45 clarifies that the references are to the Nord SS.11 missile and goes on to describe its operation. Person being interviewed is unsure but says Whirlwind could carry 4 of them

Borneo Boys: RAF Helicopter Pilots in Action Indonesia Confrontation, 1962–66 by Roger Annett, might have a photo of Whirlwind HAR.10 XP358 with (a pair of?) empty SS.11 launchers on the port side above the front landing gear. But hard to tell for sure.
whirlwind
Searching within the book there are numerous references to Nord/SS.11 but I don’t have a copy of the book myself to read what the full context is

Big news! I never knew that the Whirlwinds got much in the way of armaments such as these, would definitely make an interesting vehicle to compliment the Wessex variants

I can ask for more info from the Secret Projects Forum. Hopefully that may help.

1 Like

The Post on SPF is up:

Can a throw in a request for ATAS to get a looking at. Been using the G-Lynx a lot in the past week. And my god they cant anything. Especially sub 2km.

1 Like

https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder/i/BZtiBBaH7uwL

Ah awesome, but i think its also got some guidance issues. Just doesnt seem very… accurate, but maybe G limit increases will fix that

1 Like

I got a reply with the following link:

Quite interesting to say the least

1 Like

Another print source saying Mk.10 could carry 4x Nord SS.11

3 Likes

Which source is it?

Aircraft of the World data card #84, published by IMP Inc. 1996-97

2 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Some stuff on the Sea Skua;