Australian & New Zealand Aviation Sub Tree

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

Australian & New Zealand Aviation Sub-Tree

Introduction
Welcome to my suggestion for an aviation sub-tree for Australia and New Zealand. My dream is to have Australian/New Zealand tech trees implemented in War Thunder. Obviously not as standalone tech trees, especially since our ground content would not cover a standalone tech tree, but with a partner nation/region (Canada makes a lot of sense and would be perfect) we still could offer a lot.
I must also thank ADF Serials for their website and helping compile records and history of aircraft all in one place. They were a great help in constructing this suggestion.
The Australian Air Force is one of the oldest in the world, it can trace its roots to the Australian Flying Corps formed in 1912, before eventually transforming in to the RAAF (Royal Australian Air Force) in 1921. By WW2 Australia had a blossoming aircraft industry of its own producing a number of indigenous designs and modifying foreign designs (sometimes quite heavily) to meet local requirements. Sadly this industry would be heavily curtailed later on by politics and money, but Australia would continue to field aircraft that were often modified to suit local requirements.
New Zealand, for reasons I will mention further down, are intrinsically linked to Australia, and Australia to New Zealand. The RNZAF (Royal New Zealand Air Force) have also served in many major conflicts, have a couple unique variants of aircraft to offer, but are mostly fielding foreign aircraft, often types that are already in game. This is primarily an Australian tree by nature, New Zealand could be handled in such a way their aircraft are premiums or tech tree depending on requirement.
Ultimately Gaijin may/will implement trees as they see fit, my goal here is simply to suggest these nations as a tree, wherever they end up.

The Tree

I’m not particularly hung up on the BRs, they are mostly indicative of their general position and Gaijin will place them as they see fit regardless. I am totally open to suggestions for BR and name changes though.

The Vehicles
As it stands (including the premiums), this tree has 13 indigenous aircraft, 31 locally modified and/or built or specific variants of aircraft, and 39 aircraft that as far as I can tell are basically the same as their origin country’s model.
The below linked post includes all of the aircraft specs, photos, brief descriptions etc. I had to make the separate post as I was at the character limit for a post and still wanted to make additions.

That’s Not All! And Honourable Mentions

Spoiler

I have not included every possible variant I could find, some were simply additional similar variants of aircraft I have already included (eg. P-40 variants in between the E and N models) while others felt surplus to aircraft already in the tree while arguably being less significant. I tried to keep the tree healthy so people wouldn’t be researching the same thing over and over. However if you find a variant or aircraft type you feel would be worth adding, let me know and we’ll consider adding it.
Additionally, I wanted to mention the below types that don’t currently fit the mold in War Thunder. Some are WW1 and inter-war period that the game doesn’t presently cover in BRs. In short, they would be bad even at BR 1.0. Others are design projects/contract orders that never reached a functional prototype stage. Even if they had unfinished prototypes, they probably don’t fit the game as the performance would be purely theoretical/based on projections.
If the game ever decides to expand in to these type’s areas, they could make an appearance one day. Personally I’d love to see some of them.

Going Back In Time

Spoiler

As one of the oldest air forces in the world, Australia can offer expansion back to WW1 if the game ever heads in this direction. While it is true that Australia was more an extension of British forces during this time period, and basically all their aircraft would be copy paste RAF planes, the option to have it in the tree exists none the less. There is one indigenous design from this period however.

Wackett Warrigal I & II
Brief: A late 1920s design from Sir Lawrence Wackett (who would later head up CAC) while working in the RAAF Experimental Section. Not intended to be a frontline fighter, it was more for use as a trainer and for knowledge development of fighter production.
Top Speed: 156km/hr at sea level (Warrigal I), 193km/hr at sea level (Warrigal II)
Engine: 1x 200hp Armstrong Siddeley Lynx (Warrigal I), 1x 450hp Armstrong Siddeley Jaguar (Warrigal II)
Main Armament: 1x 0.303 Vickers machine gun firing through propeller arc and provision for 1x 0.303 Lewis machine gun for the rear
Secondary Armament: 4x 20lb bombs or 1x 112lb bomb
Crew: 2
Useful Links: https://aeropedia.com.au/content/wackett-warrigal-ii/

CAC CA-23

Spoiler

Brief: Possibly the greatest “what if” aircraft in Australian history, the CA-23 project undertook considerable design work including wind tunnel testing before politics and money cancelled the project with no prototypes ever made. It is said that data developed from the CA-23 with relation to delta wing design was used to help UK make some of their early delta wing designs, and that it was also stolen from UK by the Russians that assisted their designs as well, though this has never been proven. As an early 1950s design, it had the potential to be one of the best fighter jets in the world at the time.
Top Speed: Mach 1.5
Main Armament: 4x 0.50in machine guns (likely M3 Brownings) planned, 250 rounds per gun
Secondary Armament: Pure speculation, as an all-weather interceptor it likely would have had options for dumb bombs and rockets. It may have also acquired Aim-9Bs just like the CAC Sabres did.
Engines: 2x Afterburning Rolls Royce Avons
Radar: Yes (lol), a radar of sorts was planned but we don’t know exactly what it might have gotten
Weight: ~11,000kg
Service Ceiling: 47,500feet, 14,500m
Useful Links: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjiqdSwMxT8

CAC/BAC AA-107

Spoiler

Brief: The AA-107 (Anglo-Australian 107) was a 1968 design for a two seat supersonic jet trainer/strike aircraft. Another project in which extensive design work was undertaken, full scale mockups produced, but no prototype ever actually made. It was to be a swing wing, but ultimately it was considered too expensive and unnecessary to produce.
Top Speed: Mach 1.25
Main Armament: 2x20mm cannon
Secondary Armament: Two underwing pylons with gun pods, bombs, guided missiles or fuel tanks
Engine: Rolls Royce/Turbomeca Adour
Useful Links: https://aeropedia.com.au/content/cac-aa-107/

CAC Aermacchi MB-326H (CAC CA-30)

Spoiler

Brief: Australian production version of Aermacchi MB-326 jet trainer was not overly unique, most of the modifications centred around improved reliability/durability and useability. I did not include it in the tech tree because it would have to be so high in BR due to flight performance, while only having 2x7.62mm machine guns for armament. The only secondary armament it could carry were little practice bombs.
Top Speed: 814km/hr
Initial Rate of Climb: 22.5m/s
Engine: Bristol Siddeley Viper 11, 2500lb thrust
Main Armament: 2x7.62mm machine guns
Secondary Armament: Practice bombs
Useful Links: https://seapower.navy.gov.au/aircraft/cac-aermacchi-mb-326h-macchi

CAC CA-31

Spoiler

Brief: The CAC CA-31 was a 1960s competing design for a new jet trainer for the RAAF for pilots to transition from the MB-326H to the Mirage, similar to the AA-107. Designs were made, mockups were built, but again no prototype was made.
Main Armament: Proposals included 1x20mm, 2x20mm and 1x30mm
Secondary Armament: 4 underwing hardpoints and 2 fuselage hardpoints for 500lb bombs, and typical of other similar types of the era, potentially gun pods and rockets
Useful Links: https://aeropedia.com.au/content/cac-ca-31/

AP-3C Orion

Spoiler

Brief: Australia’s version of the P-3 Orion, the AP-3C has no ordinance that I can find that would be useful in air or ground battles, so it probably doesn’t currently fit in any tech trees (feel free to prove me wrong here). However, we do see mechanics in game such as the strike drones of high tier ground battles, and the “random bomber” in naval battles. A simple development could see the AP-3C be used as something you can spawn in high tier naval battles.
Top Speed: 750km/hr at 8000m
Rate of Climb: 16.0m/s
Engines: 4x Allison T56-A-14 turboshaft, 4600hp each
Crew: 13
Armament: AGM-84 Harpoon anti-ship missiles, Mk 46 anti-submarine torpedoes, mines
Useful Links: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_AP-3C_Orion#
https://hars.org.au/lockheed-ap-3c-orion/

P-8A Poseidon

Spoiler

Brief: Much like the Orion, the RAAF’s Poseidon only has anti-shipping and submarine weaponry. It could therefore be an even higher tier option for something that can be spawned in naval battles. RNZAF also operates the P-8A.
Top Speed: 907km/hr
Engines: 2x CFM56-7 BE(27) engines each with 27000 lb thrust
Armament: Lightweight anti-submarine torpedoes and AGM-84 anti-ship missiles
Useful Links: https://www.airforce.gov.au/aircraft/p-8a-poseidon

The Tree Is Too Large To Be A Sub-Tree?

Spoiler

I have suggested this sub-tree in a 4 line format, by the way the game is currently laid out this is too large to be a sub-tree. There are a few possible solutions to this. One is, and I feel this is the best way for numerous trees and nations for the game, is to give nations multiple trees of a particular forces type. What I mean by this is, one nation could have two aviation trees if required. The second aviation tree, the “sub-tree” would not be unlocked until reaching a certain rank in the prime tree. At which point you would just choose which vehicle you are researching. All the mechanics for this are already present in the game, like how ground and helicopters are split in to two trees but helicopters can be researched by ground vehicles and are all applied to the same crews.
Another solution would be to try and condense this 4 line tree down to 1 or 2. This seems almost impossible and would involve cutting a LOT of aircraft from the final product, but may be possible through heavy use of foldering.
A third solution could simply be that which ever partner nation Australia/New Zealand is introduced to/with is integrated in amongst the 4 lines (plus a 5th line if required). If the example was Canada, their bombers would also be integrated in the bomber line, their strike aircraft in to that line, and their fighters would be mixed in to the first two lines and/or a 5th line.

Why is Australia and New Zealand Together?

Spoiler

Australia and New Zealand are so geographically and geopolitically intertwined that historically when it comes to military matters, we are basically one. Both countries were founded by the English Empire, and were Empire states prior to the forming of the Commonwealth, and both are still members of the Commonwealth today. It is not commonly known, but during the Federation of Australia, New Zealand was offered to become a state of the country of Australia (along with Fiji) and while they declined, it is still written within the Australian Constitution that they can join any time if they changed their mind.
ANZAC stands for Australian & New Zealand Army Corps, and was a joint army corps between the two nations during WW1. The term was also used for joint cooperation between Australia and New Zealand during WW2 and Vietnam. ANZAC Day (an event suggestion I have posted here and has been passed to developers) is a nationally observed public holiday in both nations in remembrance of all Australians and New Zealanders that have served.

Article XV Squadrons and the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan, also known as Empire Air Training Scheme

Spoiler

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Article_XV_squadrons
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_and_the_Empire_Air_Training_Scheme
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Commonwealth_Air_Training_Plan
Article XV squadrons were squadrons of graduates from the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan serving in the British RAF. The BCATP was a program designed by UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand to train aircrews en mass to serve the British Empire in wartime. The Article XV squadrons of Australian and New Zealand personnel were serving in British aircraft under British command, so I have tried to limit my use of these aircraft types in the suggested tree as they are essentially taken straight from the UK tech tree.
But I also didn’t want to entirely discount them and the service of these people. In my current suggestion I have 4 of these aircraft.
The Gladiator II as a premium, because I realize the Australian Demon would not quite be on par with other nations’ biplane fighters, so it’s an option to purchase and bi-pass that grind that may be unpleasant to some. Rank 1 fighter options were also in short supply.
The Sunderland Mk V, because its development was as a direct result of input from Australian aircrews, who also served admirably in the aircraft type.
The Hurricane Mk I/L, it helped to shore up that section of rank 2 and helps acknowledge the service of Australians in the African campaign of WW2.
The Lancaster B Mk III as a premium. Australians made significant contributions in the bombing campaign, just take a read about No. 460 Squadron, and a couple Lancasters were even transferred back to Australia for one reason or another and allotted ADF serial numbers even though they weren’t being used in combat by the RAAF. G for George is a famous Lancaster currently on display in Australia, this premium could even be made specifically G for George, although that is a Mk I not a Mk III, and a selfish thought I had to is get the Mk III and have a premium with the 12,000lb bomb.

Conclusion
I hope you enjoyed reading this suggestion as much as I enjoyed making it. I am more than happy to take suggestions for anything I may have left out or forgotten, for name changes or BR changes. I feel Australia in particular can offer the game a lot, with indigenous designs across air, naval, and ground, and locally modified/built unique variants across air, ground, naval and heli. Any Australian inclusion simply must include New Zealand for the reasons mentioned above. But I’m not saying this is what the game “needs”, this is definitely what I want though lol.

10 Likes

+1 Now I will be repeating what I said on the helicopter tree but:

I have both short- and long-term wants.

Short: For the UK tree. As of right now, that is the only tree that makes sense just due to the everywhere tech.

Long: Sub-tree to a Canadian tech-tree. As here is where the help would be felt as much as the helicopter tree(if even slightly worse). As it has a few more unique props and the extra help in the jet after it becomes nothing but the Canadian Hornet.

(Tho like always I’d prefer them getting their own tree rather than a short end of the stick as with the current sub-trees(even if a sub-tree is better than being placed anywhere. but if it had to be a sub-tree those are my hopes)

1 Like

+1

1 Like

Kind of +1, this would be basically the same to previous Commonwealth tree proposals with the addition of Canada, though I think the only viable independent tree would have Canada+Australia+NZ at minimum, with maybe a few additions from places like Singapore for example. I would honestly also be perfectly fine with individual non-C&P vehicles from CAN-AUS-NZ countries interspersed in the UK tree

1 Like

+1! the subtree that should have been added years ago to the british/UK tech tree.
Nowadays it could be anywhere with commonwealth links, like others have said here.

2 Likes

Replace NZ with Canada (Maybe Singapore) and it would get a +1 from me

Canada would compliment the Australian TT way more than NZ ever would end of story

+1 but only if it is located under some TT

I would love this as a joint Aus-Can-NZ-SG tech tree which is something that should’ve been done a long time ago. I don’t like the Commonwealth nations being passed off to various other nations.

3 Likes

The main problem I have with adding them to the UK tree one at a time is the time it would actually take to get the bulk of them in at the current rate of addition. We would all have died of old age before it happened lol.

1 Like

Well primarily this is an Australian tree, I just titled it NZ as well because NZ vehicles would always be attached to the same tree as Australia. I was suggesting these nations as a sub tree, with any luck Canada would actually be the main tech tree (because of their ground content mostly) with Australia (and NZ) as a sub tree. Although it’s funny you should mention Singapore, I was actually wondering if any other Pacific neighbors would have anything that would get added to an Australian tree if the Australian tree was implemented. One off vehicles here and there type of stuff. If Papua New Guinea had anything to contribute (they don’t, maybe one Chinese wheeled thing) they would probably be in it.

As a side note, I am currently at the forum character limit for a post on the suggestion. I am going to ask if it can be increased as I had some additional sections written out which I had to remove. It will also allow us to add vehicles if any come up.

1 Like

i would love to see more representation of the British commonwealth creations, I just know it will be implemented about as controversially as we see with Canada vehicles being split three ways and Australia two.

I think a reshuffle for nation commonality is needed first as the nations that were added later are now fragmented or just a plain annoying mess. Id assume this must be annoying for someone from said country who wants to have a lineup of their homeland’s arsenals but cant. Having subnations with either their geographic neighbours or imperial mother country seems more logical to me, having the armies of the Americas all together, the commonwealth of nations in one together and cluster the European nations together with whos had less wars with who.

my first thoughts that come to mind would be the Merkavas in the USA tree being moved into Israel tree, the M1A1 aim, ram ii and Leo 2 CAN being put in Britain, the indian vehicles in Britain being shifted to the USSR as major examples.

I for one find it annoying that my 7.7 lineup has an Australian tank but if I want more id have to play America and deal with more Shermans and pattons than I wish to think of. or if I want my ADATs to have another canuk alongside it I’ve got to deal with German teammates. my friends are mostly soviet and german mains and all share similar complaints and confusion that some tanks were moved when nations were added such as the centurion with RB52 ATGMs being moved into Sweden and removed from Britain when other nation keep very notably powerful tanks which have no place now that the native country has its place in another tree.

3 Likes

Too true. We should’ve seen stuff like the Kangaroo and Avon Sabre a long time ago anyways IMO (and also Canadian stuff like the Canuck - I have to mention it out of patriotism LOL)

1 Like

RNZAF F-16? I know the purchase was cancelled but we did purchase the F-16.

1 Like

Infodump alert with slight technical corrections:

The P-39D and P-39F are not the same as the P-400, nor are they related to the development of the P-400.

The P-400 is designated to Bell Model 13 and intended for exports. It is armed with British .303 machine guns, and it is heavily armored.

The P-39D and P-39F are designated Bell Model 15 and 15B, respectively. They are separate development from the P-400, but the P-39F is a direct development of the P-39D. They are armed with American .30-cal machine guns and have different armor configurations.

Only the P-400 is armed with a 20-mm cannon, and the P-39D is armed with a 37-mm cannon. Mixed sources indicated that the P-39F can be fitted with a 20-mm cannon OR a 37-mm cannon.

The P-39D has six exhaust stacks, while the P-39F has twelve exhaust stacks. That’s how you can tell the difference externally.

Here are the specifications for both P-39D and P-39F since they use the same powerplant of 1,350 hp Allison V-1710-35:

• Speed at sea level: 309 mph (497 km/h)
  • Speed at 12,000 feet: 368 mph (592 km/h @ 3658m)
  • Time to Climb at 15,000 feet (4572m): 5.7 minutes

Overall, you are correct that Australia did use P-39D/F and P-400 in their service for a very brief time.

I attached the images of P-39 Airacobra tree versions and armor configurations to visualize the differences.

P-39 Airacobra Tree Versions

P-39 Airacobra Armor Configurations

Source: Mushroom Yellow Series 6106 Bell P-39 Airacobra (2003)

1 Like

Thank you very much for the assist and good info. I am quite confident no Australian P-39s used the 37mm, and from all the photos I saw they had the 20mm. I will update the suggestion post with the new P-39 info later on when I have a bit more time, hopefully in a few hours.

I did consider this, I’m not sure where the stance on being able to claim it as a NZ aircraft in WT would be. I may have to try and read up on it some more, I am guessing they trialed some US demo aircraft but beyond that never actually HAD one, I’m not sure if RNZAF roundels were ever even put on one. Info I will have to try and find out. If RNZAF flew a demo for evaluation, and nothing further took place, would that be enough?

I made a suggestion on it a while ago, was rejected because it was never in operational service with the RNZAF, which kinda contradicts about 20-25% of the vehicles in game ANYWAY.

They were Pakistani F-16A/B that had roughly 6 hours airtime on the airframes, and were basically brand new. These were to replace the A-4K. I don’t have the rest of the information on me, but there are multiple sources on the web, you can find their serial numbers and stuff on F-16.net if you’re interested

Spoiler

F-16.net - The ultimate F-16, F-35 and F-22 reference

2 Likes

It’s a neat bit of history but after reading about it again, I’m not sure anyone could justify putting one in WT as an NZ aircraft.

1 Like

You got me intrigued. I have dived into the rabbit hole, and I have found photos of some Australian P-39s using the 37-mm cannon with a hint of a short-er cannon barrel.

P-39F Airacobra A53-1 of 23 Sqn RAAF

P-39D Airacobra A53-13 T-Y of 23 Sqn RAAF

Another P-39F Airacobra (Unknown S/N) with a 37-mm cannon

P-39D Airacobra (A53-20 ex 41-6858) with a 20-mm cannon

Interestingly, it appears this Australian P-39D (Bell Model 15) was seen to be equipped with a 20-mm cannon. I had no idea, and this was new to me.

I have no knowledge whether these Airacobras were later given field modifications as an order by RAAF to swap for 20-mm cannons after they arrived in Australia or if these Airacobras retained what they had upon their arrival in Australia. This is a research question I have for everyone.

This is a very interesting discovery, nevertheless.

I have acquired these photos on the Internet in the North American region. I am sure you may have more curated historic photos within your area.

Cheers,
Nost

Sources:

http://www.adf-serials.com.au/2a53.htm

1 Like

I have also learned something new and maybe there should be two P-39s in the tree, one with a 20mm and one with a 37mm.

I was also going to add the below in the original post. If the character limit can be increased, I still will. But for now, here are some additional sections I wrote out.

That’s Not All! And Honourable Mentions

Spoiler

I have not included every possible variant I could find, some were simply additional similar variants of aircraft I have already included (eg. P-40 variants in between the E and N models) while others felt surplus to aircraft already in the tree while arguably being less significant. I tried to keep the tree healthy so people wouldn’t be researching the same thing over and over. However if you find a variant or aircraft type you feel would be worth adding, let me know and we’ll consider adding it.
Additionally, I wanted to mention the below types that don’t currently fit the mold in War Thunder. Some are WW1 and inter-war period that the game doesn’t presently cover in BRs. In short, they would be bad even at BR 1.0. Others are design projects/contract orders that never reached a functional prototype stage. Even if they had unfinished prototypes, they probably don’t fit the game as the performance would be purely theoretical/based on projections.
If the game ever decides to expand in to these type’s areas, they could make an appearance one day. Personally I’d love to see some of them.

Going Back In Time

Spoiler

As one of the oldest air forces in the world, Australia can offer expansion back to WW1 if the game ever heads in this direction. While it is true that Australia was more an extension of British forces during this time period, and basically all their aircraft would be copy paste RAF planes, the option to have it in the tree exists none the less. There is one indigenous design from this period however.

Wackett Warrigal I & II
Brief: A late 1920s design from Sir Lawrence Wackett (who would later head up CAC) while working in the RAAF Experimental Section. Not intended to be a frontline fighter, it was more for use as a trainer and for knowledge development of fighter production.
Top Speed: 156km/hr at sea level (Warrigal I), 193km/hr at sea level (Warrigal II)
Engine: 1x 200hp Armstrong Siddeley Lynx (Warrigal I), 1x 450hp Armstrong Siddeley Jaguar (Warrigal II)
Main Armament: 1x 0.303 Vickers machine gun firing through propeller arc and provision for 1x 0.303 Lewis machine gun for the rear
Secondary Armament: 4x 20lb bombs or 1x 112lb bomb
Useful Links: https://aeropedia.com.au/content/wackett-warrigal-ii/

CAC CA-23

Spoiler

Brief: Possibly the greatest “what if” aircraft in Australian history, the CA-23 project undertook considerable design work including wind tunnel testing before politics and money cancelled the project with no prototypes ever made. It is said that data developed from the CA-23 with relation to delta wing design was used to help UK make some of their early delta wing designs, and that it was also stolen from UK by the Russians that assisted their designs as well, though this has never been proven. As an early 1950s design, it had the potential to be one of the best fighter jets in the world at the time.
Main Armament: 4x 0.50in machine guns (likely M3 Brownings) planned, 250 rounds per gun
Secondary Armament: Pure speculation, as an all-weather interceptor it likely would have had options for dumb bombs and rockets. It may have also acquired Aim-9Bs just like the CAC Sabres did.
Engines: 2x Afterburning Rolls Royce Avons
Radar: Yes (lol), a radar of sorts was planned but we don’t know exactly what it might have gotten
Weight: ~11,000kg
Service Ceiling: 47,500feet, 14,500m
Useful Links: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjiqdSwMxT8

CAC/BAC AA-107

Spoiler

Brief: The AA-107 (Anglo-Australian 107) was a 1968 design for a two seat supersonic jet trainer/strike aircraft. Another project in which extensive design work was undertaken, full scale mockups produced, but no prototype ever actually made. It was to be a swing wing, but ultimately it was considered too expensive and unnecessary to produce.
Top Speed: Mach 1.25
Main Armament: 2x20mm cannon
Secondary Armament: Two underwing pylons with gun pods, bombs, guided missiles or fuel tanks
Useful Links: https://aeropedia.com.au/content/cac-aa-107/

CAC Aermacchi MB-326H (CAC CA-30)

Spoiler

Brief: Australian production version of Aermacchi MB-326 jet trainer was not overly unique, most of the modifications centred around improved reliability/durability and useability. I did not include it in the tech tree because it would have to be so high in BR due to flight performance, while only having 2x7.62mm machine guns for armament. The only secondary armament it could carry were little practice bombs.
Top Speed: 814km/hr
Initial Rate of Climb: 22.5m/s
Engine: Bristol Siddeley Viper 11, 2500lb thrust
Main Armament: 2x7.62mm machine guns
Secondary Armament: Practice bombs
Useful Links: https://seapower.navy.gov.au/aircraft/cac-aermacchi-mb-326h-macchi

CAC CA-31

Spoiler

Brief: The CAC CA-31 was a 1960s competing design for a new jet trainer for the RAAF for pilots to transition from the MB-326H to the Mirage, similar to the AA-107. Designs were made, mockups were built, but again no prototype was made.
Main Armament: Proposals included 1x20mm, 2x20mm and 1x30mm
Secondary Armament: 4 underwing hardpoints and 2 fuselage hardpoints for 500lb bombs, and typical of other similar types of the era, potentially gun pods and rockets
Useful Links: https://aeropedia.com.au/content/cac-ca-31/

AP-3C Orion

Spoiler

Brief: Australia’s version of the P-3 Orion, the AP-3C has no ordinance that I can find that would be useful in air or ground battles, so it probably doesn’t currently fit in any tech trees (feel free to prove me wrong here). However, we do see mechanics in game such as the strike drones of high tier ground battles, and the “random bomber” in naval battles. A simple development could see the AP-3C be used as something you can spawn in high tier naval battles.
Top Speed: 750km/hr at 8000m
Rate of Climb: 16.0m/s
Engines: 4x Allison T56-A-14 turboshaft, 4600hp each
Crew: 13
Armament: AGM-84 Harpoon anti-ship missiles, Mk 46 anti-submarine torpedoes, mines
Useful Links: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_AP-3C_Orion#
https://hars.org.au/lockheed-ap-3c-orion/

P-8A Poseidon

Spoiler

Brief: Much like the Orion, the RAAF’s Poseidon only has anti-shipping and submarine weaponry. It could therefore be an even higher tier option for something that can be spawned in naval battles. RNZAF also operates the P-8A.
Top Speed: 907km/hr
Engines: 2x CFM56-7 BE(27) engines each with 27000 lb thrust
Armament: Lightweight anti-submarine torpedoes and AGM-84 anti-ship missiles
Useful Links: https://www.airforce.gov.au/aircraft/p-8a-poseidon

The Tree Is Too Large To Be A Sub-Tree?

Spoiler

I have suggested this sub-tree in a 4 line format, by the way the game is currently laid out this is too large to be a sub-tree. There are a few possible solutions to this. One is, and I feel this is the best way for numerous trees and nations for the game, is to give nations multiple trees of a particular forces type. What I mean by this is, one nation could have two aviation trees if required. The second aviation tree, the “sub-tree” would not be unlocked until reaching a certain rank in the prime tree. At which point you would just choose which vehicle you are researching. All the mechanics for this are already present in the game, like how ground and helicopters are split in to two trees but helicopters can be researched by ground vehicles and are all applied to the same crews.
Another solution would be to try and condense this 4 line tree down to 1 or 2. This seems almost impossible and would involve cutting a LOT of aircraft from the final product, but may be possible through heavy use of foldering.
A third solution could simply be that which ever partner nation Australia/New Zealand is introduced to/with is integrated in amongst the 4 lines (plus a 5th line if required). If the example was Canada, their bombers would also be integrated in the bomber line, their strike aircraft in to that line, and their fighters would be mixed in to the first two lines and/or a 5th line.

Why is Australia and New Zealand Together?

Spoiler

Australia and New Zealand are so geographically and geopolitically intertwined that historically when it comes to military matters, we are basically one. Both countries were founded by the English Empire, and were Empire states prior to the forming of the Commonwealth, and both are still members of the Commonwealth today. It is not commonly known, but during the Federation of Australia, New Zealand was offered to become a state of the country of Australia (along with Fiji) and while they declined, it is still written within the Australian Constitution that they can join any time if they changed their mind.
ANZAC stands for Australian & New Zealand Army Corps, and was a joint army corps between the two nations during WW1. The term was also used for joint cooperation between Australia and New Zealand during WW2 and Vietnam. ANZAC Day (an event suggestion I have posted here and has been passed to developers) is a nationally observed public holiday in both nations in remembrance of all Australians and New Zealanders that have served.

4 Likes