Al-Hussein (Challenger 1) Falcon - The goofy CR.1

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

G’day lads. Once again I’m here to suggest an…interesting Chally 1 variant for War Thunder made by Jordan with the help of South Africa, the Al-Hussein Falcon!

Description:

Spoiler

The Falcon Turret is an innovative main battle tank turret developed by the King Abdullah II Design and Development Bureau (KADDB) in Jordan, with technical assistance from South Africa. This turret was designed to be retrofitted onto various tank hulls, including the Challenger 1. One of the standout features of the Falcon Turret is its 120mm smoothbore gun, which was developed by RUAG Defense Systems. This powerful armament is complemented by an autoloader that can handle 120mm rounds, allowing for a sustained rate of fire of 8 rounds per minute.

History:

Spoiler

Originally, the Challenger 1 tank was developed by the British Army in the 1970s to replace the aging Chieftain tank. It entered service in 1983 and was notable for its advanced Chobham composite armor, which offered superior protection compared to traditional armor.

In the late 1990s, the British Army sold their Challenger 1 tanks to Jordan, where they were renamed Al-Hussein. The Royal Jordanian Army sought to enhance these tanks’ capabilities, leading to the development of the Falcon Turret. As i already mentioned above, this turret was designed by the King Abdullah II Design and Development Bureau (KADDB) in Jordan, with technical assistance from South Africa.

Additionally, the turret can be equipped with advanced fire control and sighting equipment, including a Commander’s Independent Sight, which provides a hunter-killer capability. This means the commander can search for targets independently while the gunner engages another target, increasing the tank’s overall effectiveness in combat. The Falcon Turret also includes a laser-warning system and Thales AFV smoke screening equipment, which further enhance its defensive capabilities. Its low-profile design reduces the vehicle’s overall dimensions, making it a harder target to hit.

Although the Falcon Turret was initially intended to upgrade Jordan’s Challenger 1 tanks, the decision was later made to phase out the Challengers.

Armaments:

Spoiler

120mm RUAG L50 smoothbore cannon

7.62mm coaxial machine gun

Ammunition of the 120mm is unknown, but it is said that it can fire APFSDS at 1,770m/s, aswell as MP shells. Also, considering that its a RUAG 120mm, it can most likely fire any NATO 120mm, so KE-W is the most possible choice. As i already mentioned, it has an autoloader that can fire 8 rounds a minute, however it can also hold 11 rounds in its autoloader and 17 in its hull.

Specifications:

Spoiler

The Falcon size and weight is unknown, but I speculate that it will be lighter due to the turret being thinner compared to the Chally 1, but don’t quote me on that. If that is the case however, then it should be lighter than the Challenger 1, as the Challenger 1 is about 62 tons heavy. As it uses the Challenger 1 hull, it has the same protection like it does currently in the game, and it is speculated that the turret itself uses chobham for armor!

In terms of mobility, the Challenger Falcon Tank is powered by a Perkins CV12 26-liter diesel engine that produces 1,200 horsepower. This engine provides a power-to-weight ratio of 14.4 kW per tonne. The tank is equipped with a David Brown TN37 transmission, which has 4 forward and 3 reverse gears, and features a hydropneumatic suspension system. This setup allows the tank to achieve a maximum speed of 56 kilometers per hour and an operational range of 450 kilometers on road. It features 3 crew, and ALLEGEDLY has soft-kill APS, but I cannot find any extra info about that. With its electronics and what-not it has an advanced day and night thermal imaging displays for both the commander and the gunner, ensuring optimal visibility in various conditions. The tank features fully electric systems for gun and turret laying and drive, enhancing precision and reliability. It is also fitted with an automatic fire detection and suppression system to quickly address any onboard fires, ensuring the safety of the crew.

The tank’s fighting compartment is over-pressurized to provide NBC (nuclear, biological, and chemical) protection, safeguarding the crew from hazardous environments. An electrically operated air conditioning system is located in the hull, maintaining a comfortable temperature for the crew. Additionally, the tank is equipped with an auxiliary power unit (APU), which is a diesel engine mounted under armor, providing power for various systems when the main engine is not running.

For defensive measures, the tank has instantaneous smoke grenade launchers, with two launchers capable of deploying a total of 16 grenades to obscure the tank from enemy view (I’ve already mentioned this, but I’ll do it again). The position and navigation system ensures accurate location tracking and movement coordination. The crew stations and compartment are designed for comfort, allowing the crew to operate efficiently for extended periods. The tank also includes an in-tank training capability, enabling the crew to practice and improve their skills without leaving the vehicle.

Sources:

Spoiler

Army Guide

Falcon Turret | Former Jordanian automate turret for Challenger 1

Jordan builds fourth generation tank

File:Challenger 1 Al-Hussein Tank. 4-crew, 62-ton tank, Rolls-Royce 12-cylinder, 26-liter diesel engine, 1200 horsepower. The Royal Tank Museum, Amman, Jordan.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

https://pdfcoffee.com/compact-120-tank-gun-brochure-pdf-free.html

The Falcon Turret - TankNutDave.com

Falcon Turret - Wikipedia

Challenger 1 - Wikipedia

Thanks a lot for reading! If you have any extra information, then feel free to share them in the replies! As always, have a good day :)

11 Likes

Heck yeah!
If we get more crewless turret designs in other trees, such as the M1 TTB, the weird russian thing I can remember, the T-14, one Leclerc thingy, (and probably some others that aren’t coming to my sleep deprived brain currently) then this definitely belongs in the game as a counterpart for preferably the British TT.

6 Likes

Jordan bringing another cool tank to the UK! +1

3 Likes

+1 Challenger MTTD

That would be cool to be honest

Object 477?
trumpeter-russian-object-477-xm2-09533-cont1-2099366655

3 Likes

It isn’t a question if this should be added, but when will Gayjin add it

1 Like

Considering it’s a British vehicle at least a year, maybe even 2 with British tax

1 Like

8rpm is what in seconds?

8 rounds/60 seconds = 7.5 seconds per reload

Would be a fun, unique addition +1

1 Like

yes this would be fun but would they make it an event vehical or a perm, If we are lucky they would make it tech tree.

1 Like

Most likely, as its from Jordan.

If it’s added I hope it ends up tech tree after the TTD due to the South African tech link. Right now the ZA line ends at 10.0 and it’s a little sad.

2 Likes

It reminds me a bit of the AGS and M1128, I like it +1

1 Like

A +1 from me! More unmanned turret vehicles are a definite yes for me; this honestly would make for a neat TT tank in the British tree.

1 Like

If only we had a 120mm TTD

3 Likes

It was planned!!

They even test fired the gun!!

But they never put it in a tank; that being said, putting it in a tank is probably like the easiest thing to model you just swap the guns and the ammoracks and make sure it fits.
It definitely fits the “vehicle specific component produced” requirement
Pls gaijn 120mm Loggim pls

2 Likes

Yep, exactly why I think it should be added. However it’d take a little bit of special treatment, maybe a little Yak-141 level of gaijin magic to get it added. It’d make an amazing 10.7-11.0 tank if you ask me, and a great end of the line addition to the SA tank line.

1 Like

It wouldn’t be as bad as the Yak-141/41M (i still like calling it 41M lol) because the tank and the gun actually existed, the tank had all the FCS installed (see the TTD) so all that was left was just mounting the gun to the tank which never actually happened

4 Likes

The Falcon should come after the TTD, then the Olifant Mk.1B Optimum after the Flacon and the Loggim 120 at the end of ZA line.
Also the TTD should only have a 5 second reload as it has a human loader and autoloader

I mostly agree, other than the fact the Optimum is likely to sit around 9.7-10.0, not 10.7-ish.

So Olifant Mk. 2 → Olifant Mk. 1B Optimum → TTD → TTD (120) → Al-Hussein Hybrid → Al-Hussein Falcon

And then there’s also Indian tanks that Gaijin has said will be added to the British tree, so it can be capped at 11.3-11.7 with the Arjun Mk. 1A