Air RB - Game Mechanics Guide

Nations:
USA - Air RB - Performance Guide - Game Discussion / Realistic Battle - War Thunder — official forum
Germany - Air RB - Performance Guide - Game Discussion / Realistic Battle - War Thunder — official forum
USSR - Air RB - Performance Guide - Game Discussion / Realistic Battle - War Thunder — official forum
British - Air RB - Performance Guide - Game Discussion / Realistic Battle - War Thunder — official forum
Japan - Air RB - Performance Guide - Game Discussion / Realistic Battle - War Thunder — official forum
Italy - Air RB - Performance Guide - Game Discussion / Realistic Battle - War Thunder — official forum

Jets - All Nations (6.0 - 9.3) - Air RB - Performance Guide:
Jets - All Nations (6.0 - 9.3) - Air RB - Performance Guide - Game Discussion / Realistic Battle - War Thunder — official forum

Air RB - Map Temperature Guide:
Air RB - Map Temperature Guide - Game Discussion / Realistic Battle - War Thunder — official forum

Air RB - Game Mechanics Guide:
Air RB - Game Mechanics Guide - Game Discussion / Realistic Battle - War Thunder — official forum

Manual Engine Control / MEC - Guide:
Manual Engine Control / MEC - Guide - Game Discussion / Realistic Battle - War Thunder — official forum

Air RB Performance Guide - Master Thread:
Air RB Performance Guide - Master Thread: - Game Discussion / Realistic Battle - War Thunder — official forum

Air RB - Game Mechanics Guide:

Maps:
This is the most impactful variable to performance in the game. The reasons for this are it not only affects your plane but the enemy plane also. This will determine Top speed, WEP duration before engine damage, radiator settings and just about every other performance aspect equally applicable to both AEC and MEC. Some planes are much more affected by air temperature than others.

There are 3 environmental temperatures in game. Cold, Moderate and Hot. One easy way to identify the temperature is if there is snow on the ground its Cold, green vegetation its Moderate and if the ground is Sand or desert its Hot. (A few maps can look one way but actually be another temperature)

I’ve created a map temperature chart to take the guess work out of the equation that is color coded. Light blue for cold, green for moderate and orange for hot. I have made a Map temperature guide color coded with a link here and at the top of this guide:
Air RB - Map Temperature Guide - Game Discussion / Realistic Battle - War Thunder — official forum

*Air temperature does not change as you climb, its actually the horsepower of the engine increasing or decreasing changing the temperature. See hp drop chart at bottom and you’ll notice that aircraft engine temperatures drop at the exact same altitude. Engine temperatures also drop just before super charger shifts up, and then engine temperatures rise again after the shift. This applies to both AEC and MEC.

Airspeed:
I’ve generally found that 280kph is where most planes can be cooled without an exponential increase in radiator, in short, 280Kph ended up being a general “sweet spot” for climb/cooling. It’s also where drag is minimal and cooling is rather effective especially in sustained climbs. In many cases when AEC gets overwhelmed cooling a plane traveling under 280kph often times it can stay cool if traveling 300-330kph instead, this is equally applicable to both AEC and MEC once again.

Japanese planes are a unique exception in that those planes cooling is mostly unaffected by airspeed and actually get slightly warmer with acceleration such as a sustained high-speed dive. There are a handful of others that have this characteristic and it is a rather obvious phenomenon when you see it.

Engine Control Options:

Auto is better!!! MEC is better!!! Well, it falls under personal choice, but that personal choice should be an informed one as to the pros and cons and what it actually does. With that out of the way, here we go:

AEC (Auto Engine Control):
AEC will usually wait until you are close to overheating to apply any kind of radiator, it is usually set a couple of degrees too high or too low resulting in a loss of performance or just downright overheating at 100% throttle for no good reason. There are few planes in RB where AEC sets it properly but not many.

The real problem is when you activate WEP (almost universally), the plane will fully close the radiator to 0/0% (oil/water) causing a near instantaneous heat spike into yellow, orange or red. This causes instant engine wear and degradation (kills your engine). To cool the engine logically the pilot disengages WEP, this causes AEC to fully open the radiator to 100/100% having the same effect as an airbrake.

Using a Bf109 F-4 as an example. The way this plays in game is as follows let’s say you’re being chased and you start to WEP in a shallow dive your engine starts to turn orange then red because your radiator didn’t open. Your engine starts flashing red, you now have to decide, do I kill my engine or deactivate WEP and have that airbrake effect happen, letting the enemy catch you rather easily. Neither are good options.

Pros:
*The single best thing AEC does well is that it manages supercharger gear shifts with flawless precision letting the pilot focus that much more on situation awareness or other things.

*It’s also great for new players making Air RB that much more accessible to learn and grow into.

Cons:
*Overheating, erratic performance which can be lethal in certain situations.

*Equally or more distracting than managing MEC settings depending on aircraft

MEC (Manual Engine Control):
These settings are usually set and forget at the start of the match, take about 5 seconds to set and you’re off enjoying the benefits of improved cooling, better/consistent performance.

If just getting started using MEC I recommend using a plane that only needs radiator adjustments. Once comfortable with that then try a plane with supercharger gears.

P51-C/D’s, Fw-190s, and Bf 109s are all super easy set and forget planes that benefit with Infi-WEP for P51s, +30kph top speed and no overheating for Fw-190s and elimination of the airbrake effect of WEP for the Bf 109s.

Pros:
*Better / consistent performance and cooling.

Cons:
*Requires some attention usually only on takeoff unless there is a super charger.

Here is the link, if you are interested to the Manual Engine Control Guide / MEC - Guide:

Manual Engine Control / MEC - Guide - Game Discussion / Realistic Battle - War Thunder — official forum

Horsepower drop off:

For lack of a better term, this is the altitude where there is a sharp drop in horsepower generated by the engine. Going 500M above this generally results in a significant drop in performance that is similar to lowering throttle by 15%. Most pilots won’t notice the drop in performance until about 1000M above this which is even worse. As an example, it’s pretty obvious that a Yak3 with a hp drop off of 3100M flying at 4000M is not going to be nearly as much of a threat. This is applicable to both AEC and MEC. See example chart below:

5 Likes

First off, I want to above all thank those of you in the community for constructive criticism, suggestions and ideas that made this guide what it eventually became. with that out of the way, I wanted to give an update to what the future looks like for this guide. Unfortunately, I will not be updating it moving forward, for several reason which I will go into in more detail here.

The changing of flight models by the developers with no notice or announcement to the players is incredibly disruptive and irresponsible. It will silently get players killed in game never knowing that their plane has been changed. in addition, instead of updating the chart as needed, I would literally have to recheck every single plane periodically just to make sure Gaijin didnt change something without telling anyone. This is exactly what they did with almost every single Japanese fighter at the beginning of the year,

In addition to helping players understand their aircraft better, the guide was also meant to highlight some issues found with aircraft performance so they might be adjusted by Gaijin. Examples of this are planes marked with an (H) in the aircraft notes overheat and have auto radiator settings that need to be adjusted. The yak fighter line is good example of this, where the radiators are incorrectly set to 111 Celsius when they should be set to 109 Celsius where the plane actually overheats. This issue is still present in game even after I tried to contact gaijin with this information with a technical moderator and they never responded.

After months of the previous version of this guide being in the Realistic battles section of the forums, a forum moderator decided to move all the charts into machinery of war. This was the same area where historical flight data was and created alot of confusion. It also scattered the guide in several different areas making it less organized. I tried to contact the moderators to put it back under RB at which point they refused. I wont get into more details about it, but in the end had to redo the whole guide in a very specific way because of this delaying the completion of the guide

I’ve tried to help make Air RB a better experience by providing knowledge and tools to better help players get into flying which the learning curve is pretty steep. I’ve also shown where there are things that could be easily fixed and made suggestions in that regard. Unfortunately, the lack of transparency of the developers making flight model changes, the lack of addressing the issues I found in testing, and the negative experience with the forum moderators I don’t see the purpose in providing a guide for a game that wants to willfully stay broken or less than what it could be.

Regards,
MOBB

1 Like