Aeritalia A-11A AMX Ghibli

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

Description: The AMX Ghibli is an Italian light fighter bomber developed by a joint venture with Italy and Brasil. The project was started back in the 1978 when the Italian air force requested a new light fighter bomber to join with the Tornado in the Italian air force. The tow Italian company Aeritalia and Aermacchi joined for start the project of the new aircraft. In the 1980 Brasil joined the project since the Brasilian air force emitted very similar requirements to the Italian Air force, so the brasilian company Embraer joint in the project. The exact specifications were, subsonic, advanced navigation and weapons sistem and the capability of take of from short runways. The Initial order was composed by a total of 266 aircraft, 187 for Italy (later reduced to 136) and 79 for brasil. The first prototype take of for the first time in the may 1984 but due to some problems to the engine the aircraft crashed and the pilot, Mario Quarantelli didn’t survived. The problmes were later resolved and 4 other protoypes were made for testing. During the years, some other version was planned, the AMX T that was produced in 51 additional units, the AMX E, a SEAD and electronic warfare aircraft that was intended to replace the PD808 but unfortuantly it was never produced. At the end of the nineties Aermacchi and Embraer were planning a new upgraded variant of the AMX with new radar such as the Fiar Grifo for the Italian one and the SCP-01 Scipio. There was also the plan to install the Eurofighter Engine, the EJ200 for increase speed and performance. Unfortunatly those radical upgrades were never done since they didn’t meet the requirment of both airforce. Italy deceided to perform a new upgrade with a of advanced avionic and the capability of carry new weapons (GBU-32) and a new designation pod, the LITENING II. This upgraded variant was named AMX A11B.The first prototype made it’s first flight in the 30 sectember 2005. A total of 57 units were upgraded to the ACOL standard. The AMX Ghibli is expected to be replaced in 2024/2025, but for now the veichle that will replace them is not know.

Why it should be in the game: This aircraft alongside the B variant is extremly needed in the Italian TT and will offer a very good CAS that the TT is missing.

Specifications

Spoiler

Wingspan: 8.84m
Length: 13.58m
Height: 4.58m
Wing area: 21.0m2
Wing sweep: 27.5°
Practical ceiling: 13.000m (42650 ft)
Speed (clean): Mach 0.9 above 18,000 ft 440 Kcas / Mach 0.9 between 15,000 and 18,000 ft Mach 0.85 below 18,000 ft
Transfer autonomy: (with two external 1100 liter tanks) 1800nm (3300 Km)
Range of action (profile hi-lo-hi, payload 2000 lbs) 480nm (890 Km)
Internal fuel: 2790 Kg
External tanks: 580 liters (on outer pylons) 1100 liters (on internal pylons)
Max weight at take off: 13000 Kg
Normal take-off weight: 9600 Kg
Empty weight: 6700 Kg Max war load: 3800 Kg
Take-off run (at the weight of 10750 Kg): 631 m
Load factor: -3g / +7.3g

Armaments

Spoiler

Cannon/Machinegun:
1x 20 mm M61 Vulcan
Air to Air missiles:
2x AIM-9L
2x AIM-9LI/LI-1
2x Matra Magic R550
Air to Ground missiles:
4x AGM-65D/E maverik
2x AS-30 Laser
Anti Ship missiles:
2x AM-39 Exocet
4x Marte MK2A
2x AS-34 Kormorans
Unguided Bombs:
8x BL-775 Bombs
BAP-100
8x AEREA fire bombs
5x BLU-1
8x Matra Belouga
8x MK-83
10x MK82
10x MK 82 Snakeye
10x MK-20 Rockeye
10x Matra 250
10x SEI Low Drag Bombs
10x AV-BAFG-120 Low Drags bombs
Other type of unguided bombs
Guided Bombs:
4x GBU-16
6x GBU-12
4x BGL-400
6x Lizard LGB I/II/III/IV (MK82)
4x Lizard LGB I/II/III/IV (MK83)
2x Lizard LGB I/II/III/IV (MK84)
2x GBU-24
8x MK82 GP Orpher
2x CasmuSkyshark
Unguided Rokets
4x LR -25 Orione roket dispenser
4x 122 mm SNIA Falco rokets dispenser
Other type of unguided rokets
Anti Radiation Missiles:
4x AGM 88 HARM
Laser Pods:
CLDP
TIALD
ATLIS II

Sources

Spoiler

AMX: descrizione tecnica
AMX Ghibli (A-11) - Coccarde Tricolori
AMX International AMX - Wikipedia
AMX Light Attack Aircraft |Military Aircraft Pictures
AMX Fighter Bomber - Airforce Technology
Ghibli! | Aviation Collectables Company

Pictures

Spoiler

An Italian AMX with a pod that can carry 2 LGB on every pilon

9 Likes

+1 yes to all amx versions for italy

5 Likes

No brainer, of course +1

5 Likes

+1 I guess A-11A “Ghibli” could be 12.0 or 12.3 BR and very good attack aircraft rank VIII

@Nicho @Il_Signor_Regio Actually A-11B ACOL firing IRIS-T Air-to-Air Missile but A-11A Ghibli never ?

and currently Italian Air Force (Aeronautica Militare) equipped Rafael Litening III targeting pod on A-11B ?

3 Likes

For IRIS-T, they were trialeded but following the site of One of the squadron Who use this aircraft, they were not mentioned as a specific weapon of the ACOL upgrade (they were not mentioned at all since it’s a very obscure trial), therefor, Both could get It, even If probably for balance only B Will get It. And yes, for the B the laser designator Is LITENING III

2 Likes

+1, Italy desperately needs a high tier CAS aircraft

4 Likes

Gimme gimme gimme! All the versions please! +1

4 Likes

This looks like a good addition for Italy, I also love its studio’s movies. (/s for the last part)

4 Likes

Btw I founded a recent source that tell the same that You said. i’m going to remove Iris T for this one

The F-35 will replace the AMX’s role.

That was the One of the two official Declaration , an Italian air force general said also during the centenary that AMX will be replaced by Eurofighter

1 Like

Welp, its finally here.

4 Likes

There is a very serious conflict between the picture and the presentation, at least it doesn’t have the ability to carry 4agm65 or 10gbu

Excited to see what skins this gets

1 Like

As I recall, the Brazilian Air Force had Python-3/4 on Gripen and F-5, can it be installed on AMX? Also can HMD be used?

1 Like

Probably You Missed out this picture and the fact that It can Carry double pilon with MK82 body bomb in all the pilons (and this only work for Orpher since they are IR and the don’t require the targeting pod otherwise You can Carry 8x MK82 body LGB on all wing pilons ) As for the 4 AGM, we have two proofs, in the scheme It Say that It can Carry two on the Iternal pilons and in the pictures they are fitted on the external pilons. 2 +2 = 4

1 Like

The Brasilian A1M use the A-Darter as air to air missile

1 Like

If you can prove it with documents, I will be very happy, but unfortunately, according to your first pictures of armaments, it seems could only carry 2 AGM or 4 LG bombs

The G.91YS is still flying for the forseeable future.

it report four GBU because the double rack was never used for that porpouse at that time. indeed it was used later for that porpouse. As for the AGMs, the pictures are alredy clear enought.