Add manual radar lock for SPAA just like in planes

Actually yes it should

I don’t know exactly how an ADATS works. I do know how other radars work and no, you can’t get information unless you select a target to track. Until you select that target, it just shows the distance/direction relative to your position on the scope. If you were a trained operator in the ADATS, you would know exactly how to operate the system properly. I would assume that Gaijin employees have never operated and ADATS, but have modeled the system to operate with known information. I used the ADATS as an example because it has a search only radar for finding targets and an optical/infared targeting system.

No, because that would be a tracking feature. Searching does not point you in that direction, tracking does. They are both seperate things. The way an ADATS would point at a target they found on the radar would probably be roating the turret until it aligns and looking for a heat signature to lock on to. Which is what you have to do in game.

Search radar in game does not provide any information beyond heading and rough distance. No angle, no altitude, nothing else.This is not how it works in real life.

Radar screen should look like this i think

The ADATS doesn’t have a tracking radar. If the SPAA system doesn’t have a tracking radar it can’t do that. That is why I used the ADATS as an example because I know it doesn’t have a search/track radar. The OP wants every SPAA to carry that capability, even if the SPAA system doesn’t actually have the ability to perform it. That is the exact reason I chose the ADATS, to explain that it doesn’t use radar to track targets, and that is why you need a visual of the target not in clouds because it uses an optical/infared system to lock targets.

I understand it bro. But searching doesn’t just mean heading and distance.

Search radar finds target and tells to track radar where target is. This is literally how most AA work. Gepard, roland, 2s6

2 Likes

The ADATS doesn’t have a tracking radar. If the SPAA system doesn’t have a tracking radar it can’t do that. That is why I used the ADATS as an example because I know it doesn’t have a search/track radar. The OP wants every SPAA to carry that capability, even if the SPAA system doesn’t actually have the ability to perform it. That is the exact reason I chose the ADATS, to explain that it doesn’t use radar to track targets, and that is why you need a visual of the target not in clouds because it uses an optical/infared system to lock targets.

I also realise I accidentally edit away my post you responed to.

You already can.

Turn off “Targets Cyclic Switching of Ground Radar” in the settings, and bind the manual targeting keybinds.

Horizontal Radar/IRST target cue control axis

and

Vertical Radar/IRST target cue control axis

i know

If the SPAA system doesn’t have a tracking radar it can’t do that.

Why? Then how gepard tracking radar finds where target is without angle data?

I used the ADATS as an example because I know it doesn’t have a search/track radar.

And tracking radar not really relevant

The OP wants every SPAA to carry that capability, even if the SPAA system doesn’t actually have the ability to perform it

Yeah i know. That`s not what my point is.

The Gepard, Roland, and 2S6 are all seperate systems. The 2S6 has two seperate radars, one for searching and one for tracking. The Gepard has a seperate search and seperate tracking radar. Roland 1s only have a search radar. This is the exact reason I asked the OP to be specific because the systems are all different.

You can’t get target data without locking on to a target, if you don’t have a tracking radar you can’t lock onto it because it doesn’t have the ability to process the tracking data. The Gepard uses a search and a seperate tracking radar. The search radar finds the target, and then the tracking radar takes over and provides the up to date information on speed, bearing, altitude, and range. Regardless, the information is not usually displayed on the radar scope. It is usually a seperate area that displays all of this data.

Take a look at the m163. It has a tracking radar for targeting with its gun, but no search radar. You can lock onto something with a radar without using one to search, and you can use one to search without using one for tracking (targeting).

That`s my whole point. I appreciate your efforts in describing all the details, but I know all this perfectly well.

The only thing I wanted to understand for sure was whether the search radar could show not only the direction to the target, but also its altitude.

The one that you showed in your picture sort of can. The different scope at the bottom shows the location relative to your plane in the X and Y axis where the normal scope shows the information only in the X axis. It doesn’t give you the numbers on it’s altitude, but you can at least see if it is above or below you.

And adats/gepard/other spaa search radar can`t display radar picture in the same way?

I can’t say 100 percent whether they can or not because I do not have access to that information. I will say that the radar scope they use to display information is what has been used by radar systems. You can see one in the F-16C cockpit view, as it has the square radar scope like in your picture. I would imagine only the military personnel that use each system know exactly how the radar information is displayed, but I think they have done well in making sure the XY radar scopes are implemented in the vehicles that would have them. With that said, I know of only aircraft that use those scopes in game as I do not have access to every SPAA.

That’s the problem though,… Gaijin add real things when it’s proposed/supported and sourced by Community

But Gaijin adds nothing if it’s similar to what you’ve done.

Incredibly ineffective lol
https://streamable.com/e8vu0l

Well, from your video I can see one important thing. The plane has an arrow directing you toward the plane the entire time, and then changes to the arrow with a box indicating a lock. I doubled check this on a ship and it thag indicator will guide you to the target.

The issue i’m having is the lock bar not actually going on the target on the search radar but just in the direction of where my indicator is and that few degrees of lock area coupled with relatively slow scan speed is really ass…
Definetly gonna have to continue using the cyclic target lock… I hope they improve this method of locking though.
Maybe i should complain when i get the energy to do so. Your ships have a search radar? I have the douglas bought for fun but no search radar in that thing despite crew telling me about aircraft being seen on the radar…
https://vimeo.com/911091025?share=copy

The Douglas doesn’t have a search radar, but you can lock targets as long as you aim at them and have the lock target keybind. It’s for leading with the main gun with the HEVT ammo for AA.

You are like broken record 😁

What the OP means is that you should be able to select target on a search radar screen and system should turn the turret to target heading, and if the vehicle has 3d radar, then target elevation as well. Simply, put the crosshair on a target.
If you lock the target with tracking radar or IRST afterwards is irrelevant.

From my experience some vehicles do that to some extent, but some like FlaRakRad not at all.