Hello! This is a suggestion for a very obscure modification of the ZBD04, equipping the vehicle with a new remotely controlled SW1 turret with a 30 mm ZPT-99 cannon, as well as four HJ-8 ATGMs. I think this would be a very good addition to the Chinese tree in War Thunder given its reliable autocannon and hard hitting Red Arrow / HJ-8 ATGMs. Another reason for this vehicle’s implementation is that the Chinese tree as of this post has no tech tree IFVs outside of the ZBD86. As such, I think a new IFV is overdue.
The SW1 turret was first seen at the United Arab Emirates’ 2007 International Defense Exhibition. Shown under the name “SW1 Red Arrow 8 Missile / 30mm Cannon Turret Weapon System” by Norinco, it was offered as a new turret for light vehicles. As a demonstrator, it was mounted on the Type 89 APC, and later on the ZBD04. Since then, it is not known to have been sold to any other countries, and seems to have been limited to a couple Chinese vehicles modified with this turret for marketing to display its modularity.
Type 89 AFV modified with the SW1 turret.
The SW1 turret is able to be fitted to a number of IFVs and AFVs, and from 100 meters provides protection against 12.7 mm AP ammunition. The armament of the SW1 is a 30 mm ZPT-99 autocannon with a rate of fire of 350 RPM, and the main feature of the turret, four SACLOS guided HJ-8A anti-tank guided missiles, which have a maximum range of 4,000 meters. Upgraded versions of the HJ-8, like the HJ-8C and HJ-8E can also be fitted. On top of the autocannon and missiles, the vehicle also features a 7.62mm machine gun.
The autocannon is guided through a built in sight, with a laser rangefinder and thermal imaging for the gunner to help find the target and then get the gun on it. Included with the turret as well are three smoke grenade launchers on each side of the turret. Traverse is 360 degrees, with elevation angles going from -6 to +60 degrees. The turret weighs in at around 1,750 kg, and allows it to even be installed on lighter platforms like the WZ551.
Rear view of the SW1 turret.
- Length: 7.2 m (23 ft 7 in)
- Width: 3.2 m (10 ft 6 in)
- Crew: 3
- Passengers: 7
- Armor: Welded steel (ZBD04)
- Main armament: 30 mm ZPT-99
- Secondary armament: 7.62 mm coaxial machine gun & 4x mounted HJ-8 anti-tank missiles (4x in the hull)
- Engine: diesel 670 hp
- Suspension: Torsion bar
- Operational range: 500 km (310 mi)
- Speed 65 km/h (40 mph) on road & 20 km/h (12 mph; 11 kn) on water
- Jane’s Armour and Artillery 2011-2012 p.315
- Army Guide - Ôèðìà NORINCO ðàçðàáîòàëà áàøíþ SW1 «Êðàñíàÿ Ñòðåëà»
- Фото экспортного прототипа китайской БМП ZBD04 (WZ502) на базе российской БМП-3 - ВПК.name
- HYBRID IFV Khorunzhiy7 on base IFV M80 Khorunzhiy3 (Source of picture in Specifications section)
- ZBD-04 (Type 04 IFV) [REVIEW + SPECS] | Defence Database (Mentions four HJ-8 ATGMs as an optional secondary armament)
- NORINCO ZBD-04 (WZ502) (Information on the base ZBD04)