Why is the Stormer HVM so bad?

Meanwhile in game if there’s a cloud 4km behind a jet from your pov screaming with full afterburner and red hot on IR filter it still refuses to lock because of the cloud behind it lmao.

Yeah this is ridiculous and needs fixed. Severely limits the use of the vehicle on a lot of maps.

3 Likes

I’ve literally had to manually guide it in on multiple occasions, I’m not really surprised tbh. IR signatures seem funky af anyway especially when it comes to helicopters and stinger missiles. 2.6km on a snow map and it still can’t get a lock on the hottest thing in the sky for 20km in - 1° temperatures. The helicopter is literally glowing on the sight IR filter… Meanwhile the stinger is looking like a character from the bird box movie

Played the other day and the improvement was signficant.

I originally believed it was a latency issue as I only started experiencing the problems after I moved and was forced to downgrade my Internet from gigabit fibre to standard broadband. My latency increasef from 8ms to 50ms and that’s when the vehicle became u playable.

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1755598803749769603?t=dpjGg8WiEoyMSWFahMUeDw&s=19

Yea, we found more info about it on the discord.
2 ASRAAM, the thing on the mast is a Chess dynamics Hawkeye optoelectronical IR tracker

2 Likes

Ty

More spaa options the better, all nations from 4.3 onwards have pretty huge gaps in comparison to the air tree’s and their cas options.

That also depends on what type the Stormer IR is, if it is SWIR would have no problems, MWIR and LWIR would tho. That is why on modern optoelectronic sensors SWIR is used as a tracker (example: Supacat tracker Hawkeye Land Surveillance) . Even on the site you provided MWIR and LWIR are used, SWIR is omitted, as it does not have that problem.
Any info about what the Stormer has, anyone?

Stormer HVM uses a STAIRS C thermal imager, which according to the specs published by the UK govt. is a scanning 768*8 Cadmium Mercury Telluride array that detects in the 8-9.4μm region of the infrared spectrum. So that would be LWIR.

But it’s enough to say that it’s a thermal imaging system to know it’s not SWIR, as SWIR is outside the spectral band of thermal radiation.

4 Likes

Is there any information about its guidance? Because in game there’s a good 500m where the missile just flys straight before being able to turn? Surely the first stage can turn?

Document mentions that at 500m the missile should already be “guided” but this is assuming we aren’t interpreting the information wrong.
“WEG 2016 Vol 1 Ground Systems.pdf”

1 Like

It’s just annoying that when an aircraft comes in low and fairly close the missile just sods off in a different direction whilst your waiting for the darts to start turning in.

In real life the darts separate about 370 m after launch. I’m not aware of Starstreak being able to manoeuvre prior to the darts separating.

4 Likes

Does this then mean that Starstreak is slower than it should be. Currently it’s Mach 3.5 but here it says Mach 4.

Pretty sure you can set launch lead IRL though

He talks about distance of dart separation from the carrier. And you do not set the distance, the FCS does everything by itsef, you just lock and fire

1 Like

It might be that the source is rounding up the numbers for reading convience, the source may also be wrong or if it is correct then gaijin is wrong. I don’t think the source is reliable enough to make a conclusion, we would need other sources to confirm the missile max speed for us.

Would it be too hard for gaijin to model one of those lead reticles for the stormer? Gun SPAA already have it. Other SPAA could use it too as a downgrade from fully automatic engagement (i doubt that will be added). It is sometimes hard to engage targets with the VT-1 since it takes time to start maneuvering. Has a suggestion been made about lead reticles for some missile spaa?

1364 M/s is 3.97 Mach. Currently in game it is 1178 m/s (Mach 3.43). I was that seems like a pretty large difference in speed. Unless it’s talking about the Mk 2 version of Starstreak.

1 Like

This could be correct but atleast personally i can’t trust this document alone. If other documents confirm it, maybe it can be used as a supplementary document in bug report.