Why do Gun penetration inaccuracies get instantly shut down when bug reported?

the spreadsheet

Ahhhhh, no. The spreadsheet isn’t perfectly up to date nor is it a source material that can be used for a change.

I dont think they are, stuff like the slope modifiers for different cap types on rounds is a thing, even if they’re all APBC. I’m not really super knowledgeable on the ground stuff though.

First: WT uses a formula to simply output the result of the penetration base on the stats of the projectile and the gun. Most of the chart just summerize the angle impact and the range.

So do you know at 78 degree at 1739m, what is the pen value of a rounds with just the table of performance you got, apply for every country ?

Second: This is an online games, so they need something fast, do you want to wait 0.1 to 1ms to caculate if the round can pen the armor or not ?

Third: IIRC, some guy rumor that the Dev take the stat from the formula “based on” standard test like 2000m range, 60 degree impact, … etc then hard-coded the rest value for other angle of impact and try to normalize it as close as they expect.

Fourth: If you can and you willing to contribute, take a math class (Should be Statistics
) plus an online game design degree to find out a value that sastify just these requirment:

• Can output the result “as close as” to the reality.
  • Fast enough for the server/client to check if the round can pen or not.
  • Apply to every angle/range of each collision happen in every single match.

Yeah i want my 3BM42 have better pen too but i can tolerate why they chose to implement that way so a trade had to be made.

Uhm…

Just to say, the previous way the game worked was with lookup tables. Penetration values were hard coded into each round, and all the game had to do to determine penetration was just… look up the penetration that the round had at that distance.

This is faster than actively having to calculate the penetration of a round.

Speed isn’t the reason why we have calculators now. Your first point summarizes it just fine.

1 Like

The dev alway make me wonder how the heck they can find a way around it but if that was a way to deal with that, that’s interesting to know.

I say look up tables are faster, but in reality the difference just isn’t that meaningful.

The formula used for AP, APCR and APDS rounds is not that complicated, so the amount of mathmetical operations needed to reach the penetration value is just not that great.

The APFSDS calculator does have a more complicated formula… but APFSDS still uses look up tables in game. What Gaijin has done is that they simply calculate the values outside of the game, then hard code those penetration values into the game.