Vympel R-73 'ARCHER' - History, Design, Performance & Discussion

It says miles in the image, and all images have the same measurement system.

nah just saying using the miles instead of km is uncommon

3 Likes

You are right for most part about pre flaring , but some of those missiles did not hit you cause you were too close which confuses the missile (a bug on TY-90)

I can test tonight but I’m 100% confident that this is not the case. The missile was not out-maneuvered or over/under-lead from target. It simply tracked until flared off.

1 Like

At work, so haven’t really looked into it too much, will do so later. However just saying, I saw a video on YT of someone testing the R73 and they missed shots when the jet they fired on dropped out of AB and dropped flares. So, in all honesty… I’m missing where the R-73 is a stupid OP game breaking missile everyone makes it out to be?

It never was, and it won’t be.

2 Likes

I briefly played the dev server when it was on the MiG-29 and didn’t find it too crazy, I figured maybe I just missed something. I have the F-14B, the F-16ADF and the MiG-29. Play all three. I’d have no problems them bringing it to the MiG-29 or any other plane that had it.

I just remember so many people complaining about how OP and stupid broken it was and even now I’m like… “What did I miss? Cut back AB and flare, boom, done.”

I think it was devserver 2 where they were cracked:

There is a report on the R-73, currently it appears the IRCCM is not functioning as well as it should. This may be buffed. There are also open reports on maximum overload which should increase it from 40 to 60G.

I need to do further testing, but it appears the seeker lock-on range is insufficient and the missile itself has underperforming range.

I’m of the opinion that most of the shots in this video were heavily cherry picked from the second dev server, and the missile has seen multiple changes since.

2.22.0.14 to 2.22.0.17
2.22.0.17 to 2.23.0.9
2.23.0.9 to 2.23.0.42
2.23.0.42 to 2.23.1.31
2.26.0.19 to 2.27.1.76 (part 1) (part 2)

Also, iirc I remember hearing recently that he said something about having insane seeker range which was quite off since that was changed while dev server was still live iirc. Not sure which of these is first, second dev or whatever.

Yeah I know it’s changed a bunch since, point is that at one point it was a very powerful missile, and people had reason to question it’s inclusion with the best SARH missile. Currently it seems like garbage in game and definitely needs more work (that PID for example really sucks)

The PID is fine, the thrust vectoring implementation is difficult. I agree, at one point it was way over the top but it was fixed relatively quickly and people knew what to expect… Yet still opposed it.

4 Likes

Who’s excited for the TOTALLY not OP, super duper balanced R-73!

Haha, amazing

R73 pulling an AIM-95 Agile bruh

Definitely not intended tho, even in files it should not be able to track a target beyond 45 degrees and it shouldn’t even extend beyond 75 degrees

This issue extends to all air to air missiles. Most just do not have the turn radius to regain sight of target before break-lock time explodes the missile… lol

Ah, yeah it was probably on the edge of that funny timer phase where the seeker will ‘extend’ out past the gimbal limit and it caught him in time because he didn’t maneuver.

Like this?

Also, is this behavior or the self-destruction of missiles a realistic thing at all?

1 Like