Veak 40 ammo change

What?

Edit:
I think this is a translation mistake, in Swedish any shell that has explosives in them (HE) are called “granat” which directly translated is grenade. Even 120mm HE shells or mortar-rounds are called that. So i think i was just to fast with my typing when posting that one.

I found an ammunition register of the Swedish army from 1960, which has an entry on the slsgr m/484 (the name of the VT shell that the VEAK uses now). The link is https://tanks.mod16.org/pdf/Amregister,%201960.pdf . Although some of the entries come from a bit later (1963/64), the table of contents label this type of ammunition as being logged in 1960 (the year is shown in the TOC and in the top right of each page). The ammo appears on the 45th and 46th pages (the in-text page numbers are 43 and 44). Unfortunately I can’t really read Swedish, but maybe you could check if that’s the correct shell.

1 Like

Fairly Certain that the M/848 was a Time Fuzed shell with a Tracer.

from a gameplay mechanic perspective as of currently what we have in the game in general, it doesnt matter.
especially since it is the current HE-VT shell the VEAK has in game, at least gaijin uses the same exact designation of M/484(i think you had a number-twist in there yourself).

so the shells existing in swedish arsenals in 1960 would mean the VEAK should keep its HE-VT shell.

So the devs are just gonna ignore their claims to “Historical accuracy” and remove munition types actually used by vehicles that aren’t a part of the big 3 now. That’s so cool. Honestly, whoever decided this change should be removed from making decisions.

2 Likes

The VEAK did have VT fused rounds available and in inventory according to a few Records that I’ll have to try dig up, and someone posted this https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/pdfs/AD0739350.pdf on steam which makes the claim that radio fused rounds were available on page 198.

I’ll start looking for other sources but it certainly did have something of the form available and removing it is pretty shit when they fucked the Gripen for no reason at all.

7 Likes

Sadly the ammo in that one is labeled “ö” (ögonblicklig) “hk” (högkänslig) “sar” (spetsanslagsrör) which directly translated means immediate, high sensitive, point-contact-tube.
the proxy shells are labeled “zon” or “zonar”. the ones with timed fuses are labeled “urv”.

the shell in the 1960 labled m/484 isn’t a proxy or timed shell sadly.

This one however directly states that proxy fuses were used on VEAK. GREAT find! :D

2 Likes

4 Likes

Works for me let me craft up a report.

Raised a report for it.

Specifically mentions VEAK-40 has radio fused rounds but as this is the only direct one listed so far and is a USSR doc translated I have my doubts it will be successful

Thanks for your efforts everyone. I’ll let you all know if there is any dev feedback regarding this.

Updated as m/484 is impact fuse only which means the current implementation of m/484 is wrong.

5 Likes

Isnt that a translation of a soviet book, idk how reliable that is.

1 Like

I do know a few other records mention it as well, just struggling to find them given this network is taking a good 5 minutes to load web pages. The stuff from here https://tanks.mod16.org/pdf/Amregister,%201960.pdf to my knowledge does describe a radio fused round in spite of the naming conventions, but I can’t access it at the moment because network issues.

1 Like

That first source specifically talks about the use of 57 mm HE-VT but also notes that 40 mm HE-VT is specifically NOT available. The author notes that such a shell would be possible by that point but that he was not aware of any such development

That second one is interesting, there definitely does seem to have been at least an experimental HE-VT shell by the mid-60s. Nothing to indicate anything in service though

Don’t see anything jumping out to me that its HE-VT

Slsgr m/484 is indeed a real shell, although I don’t know when it came into serivce, but it did not have access to a radar proximity fuze by this point according to the catalogue. I don’t know if the m/484 ever was fitted with such a fuze later on, it’s possible. The radar fuzes are specifically the ones labeled z, zonr or zonar

So is it confirmed that the proxy fuse round was removed for being historically inaccurate? I don’t think there has been any official statement from the snail yet.

1 Like

An active service proximity fuse was not added until 1975.
But since the VEAK is a prototype vehicle it is very likely it was used to test other prototype things such as proximity fuze shells. Especially since it’s the same company making both.
So what we are looking for is any evidence of proximity fuze shell tests with the VEAK.

We already know that proximity fuze shells were being tested before the VEAK project officially ended.

3 Likes

I don’t have an official statement on the matter but I think it was due to the m/484 round erroneously ID’d as a HE-VT round when it is infact an impact fuse.

3 Likes

He-Vt was designed in WWII, and mass produced by General Electric, what shit are you smoking, because I need some of that.