Eigne Power: 85 hp at 3,500 rpm
Suspension: Horstmann
Fuel capacity: 91 L
Operational range: 250 km
Maximum speed: 48 km/h

ARMOR
Armour: 7–10 mm

HISTORY
The Universal Carrier was a natural standardization of the earlier types of Carriere that were already in production before the war. The basic appearance was retained, but it received a standard hull type that was used for all roles. This version went into production in 1940/41 and in service from the same time. In total, over 75,000 units were produced during the war in Great Britain, Canada and the USA (those produced in the USA had slightly different specifications than the others). The type was used for a number of different roles such as e.g. personnel transport, bomb launcher vehicle, mg carrier, observation post, tow vehicle for anti-tank guns and ambulance. The wagon type was used by all British and Canadian forces from 1941 onwards. After the war, they were used by a number of countries, especially in Europe.

Norwegian usage:
In 1941, at the Norwegian Brigade in Scotland, a reconnaissance unit was established with 14 Carriers, commonly called “Carriertroppen”. In 1944, this troop joined the newly formed Norwegian Independent Recce Squadron. After the war, the vehicle type was used by the Norwegian Tysklandsbrigaden “German Brigade” in the anti-tank units, at home in Norway they were used until the late 1950s, when they were gradually phased out of service

What was the German Brigade?
From 13.01.1947 - 30.04.53
(when the last crews arrived in Norway, official command closure was 16.04) was a Norwegian brigade stationed in Germany. during these years the brigade was located in several places and it also varied somewhat in setup, but the total strength including the Tysklandskommandoen (German command) never exceeded 4,400 men. The background for such a brigade was an agreement that had been concluded between the Norwegian government in London and the British, where the British originally wanted Norway to provide 12,000 men as part of the occupation force in Germany

Setup
All the soldiers were set up and received their basic education in Norway in several different places, depending on which department they belonged to. It was only a limited part of the conscripts who were sent to Germany and it varied which forming departments sent soldiers from Germany from one contingent to the next. which, for example, was the Reconnaissance Squadron in 471 from Dragoon Regiment No. 1, while the Reconnaissance Squadron in 472 was Dragoon Regiment No. 2.

Material
The vast majority of the material, both for individuals and the departments, was made available by the British and was therefore formally British property in the early days. The agreement between the British and Norwegian authorities was set up so that the equipment was paid off and therefore became Norwegian property over time.
Vehicles were part of this deal and most were British and Canadian types, but there were also some jeeps. some vehicles were also brought from Norway, including the 3 m8 greyhound that came down in 1949, and a number of administrative vehicles of German origin were also allocated from the British.

Operational areas
The brigade mainly operated in 2 different areas during the time it existed. both of these areas were within the British occupation zone since the bridge was ceded to the British. from January 1947 to autumn 1948, the brigade was stationed in the Hartz region of Germany, which is located in Lower Saxony. The Norwegian operational area was along the zone border between the British and Soviet zones. this area was chosen because it reminded a lot of Norway with mountains and valleys and partly a lot of snow in winter. nevertheless, a desire was expressed early on from the Norwegian political side to move the brigade to another area. This was rooted both in a desire to have the brigade closer to Norway so that it could be easier to withdraw it home if the need arose and to move it away from the zone border where it would be in the front line from day one if a war or conflict with the Soviet Union were to occur break out. from the autumn of 1948 the brigade was transferred to Schelswig-Holstein, the main part of the brigade was in place in September, but the last elements did not arrive until November 1948. this area was very different from the Hartz with a flat landscape and therefore bore little resemblance to Norway. the main task of the brigade here became the defense of northern Germany and Denmark in the event of a Soviet attack. The brigade remained in this area until it was withdrawn in 1953

PICTURES

Spoiler

Universal Carrier — ImgBB

SOURCES

Spoiler

MOTORISERTE MILITÆRKJØRETØY I NORGE - HMKSHOP - Depot Moane
Aanmelden bij Facebook | Facebook
Norske Militære Kjøretøy-register | Facebook
Boys anti-tank rifle - Wikipedia
Universal Carrier - Wikipedia

POLL

Would you like to see this in-game?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

This post was made by
Til_Dovre_Faller
Warthunder_Norway

An even smaller version of the Alecto SPG kind of. A similar to the smaller low (or high?) in the tree, honestly, there’s so much they can add for the Norwegian tree that it could become a 2 wide or branching tree for them.

1 Like

Theres a suggestion that made norway a TT and has alot more stuff

what

well by gaijins calculator with 14mm 0,0476 kg 884 m/s you get 28mm/10m penetration.

2 Likes

After looking at some footage from exetsises, i have seen that the Universal Carrier can and has been using Smoke screen, i believe that eould work like the smoke screens we have on many of the various vehicles alreasy

I’ll see if i can cut out some footage of it

That’s not too bad👌

I was just telling him anout the TT for norway u already made a suggestion about

1 Like

Huh. Reminds me of the Japanese-modified British Universal carrier with the unidentified cannon/technical and whatever that thing on the right side of the image is either.

1 Like

Aa i understand

This is a model made, if I’m not mistaken, for an Australian historical film, and was supposed to depict a fictitious Japanese tank.

1 Like

Well the german ones, ceratainly will be more powerfull, both.

1 Like

They are, but they are different

Spoiler
He didn’t post the source. 😂

2 Likes

Must stay on topic ;)

Universal carrier, used by many countries, is probably a kind of “Swiss army knife” so there are many different models and variants, including this Japanese version which seems to be quite modified, and these with 14mm brengun

We can’t find any info on whether it’s a 37mm. However, with the little information we can gather from simple observation, the Japanese Bren Carrier most certainly was not armed with a Lewis Machine Gun. That’s concrete. Seems to be 2 different field modifications though for both Bren Universal carriers.

Seems reasonable, the base vehicle is an Australian local pattern 2 or 2A carrier, not a British Universal. The Japanese did capture a few Australian carriers, but I don’t think I’ve seen evidence that they did anything like that to them.

There are so many variants of this to add, especially for british and german service like the german one with multiple panzersherecks

2 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I wonder if the vehicle in the background is a Vickers Mk II - Vickers Medium Mark II - Wikipedia