Tornado GR.4: Tenacious Tonka

Your problem here is assuming Kh38s should exist… I said day 1 those AGMs never should have been added, they are simply to good vs what we have available.

Brimstones and Kh38s should not be present in the game for balance reasons. I will always advocate for realism where possible but brimstone in full functionality would be completely uncounterable beyond a SAM hitting the missile directly.

Kh38s are still to a degree not visible post launch thanks to radar dead zones and smokeless trailer once the booster runs out. and have posed a threat from day 1 when Su25s just yeet them before every getting launched on by a SAM.

Neither should be in the game personally

Problem is, they would.

We’ve already opened the box. Yanks and Ruskis won’t let us close it.

Yeah, unfortunately.

That door can be closed as proof by brimstone being added in a half baked mechanic… I see utterly no reason why they can subjectively butcher an AGM by not giving a feature (which i agree with not being given) but somehow are fine with kh38s being un touchable by some SAMs entirely

There is a massive difference between the two. The news post details this, but to break it down more, I’ll share Gunjobs breakdown again:

The two are not the same at all.

2 Likes

why are you comparing them on a mechanic/feature level… compare them on a balance perspective, your entire claim is then thrown out the door

11 Likes

This is part of the issue if your entire understanding is that just two nations will be impacted. Everyone within the battle, regardless of nation, including your own teammates, will be impacted with Brimstone in it’s other modes.

1 Like
  1. This is true (so just model Brimstones like basic IR FNF weapons)
  2. This is true (model it like basic IR FNF weapons)
  3. This is a blatant lie, the missiles work like a charm in cloudy weather
  4. This is also a blatant lie, because smoke doesn’t stop the KH38, it will still guide through it and has a blast radius so massive it’ll kill the tank in the smoke unless it fully relocates. (did I mention this missile moves ridiculously fast and there’s a TV guided version that gives no warning what so ever?)
12 Likes

The two are entirely interlinked. Brimstone is massively different and it’s fesures and the implications of those are directly related to balance.

1 Like

There is no comparison to Brimstone in game with it’s F&F modes. That’s exactly the point and what is explained within the dev blog.

1 Like

Make the brimstone laser fire and forget and were happy

1 Like

For the reasons explained within the blog, it will not have F&F modes.

They effectively propose the same threat. Gunjob is a good fellow and all, but on this I disagree with their assessment. Brimstone can be toned down to bring it in line with the balance shown by other ordnance, and would be Britain’s only half effective strike option.

We could have F&F brimstone with a toned down seeker for now, and we would be okay with that. We could have smoke impact it too, even though it shouldn’t and the ordnace for other nations really doesn’t give a shit about smoke. We could even force it to be manually queued.

This is of course taking your claims about kh 38 (which are wrong) on face value. You’ve gimped things before, like Magic 2. Magic 2 is still gimped. MICA also.

5 Likes

A rifle is much better than a pistol,and the 1000bls is significantly better than both,so the 1000bls is not recommended,but it means the gap between the rifle and pistol can be ignored?You never give a direct answer sir.

the dev blog explained why no mmW mode. But if you’re already going to be ahistorical, just make them IR guided at this point to retain its identity.

Or just dont add the plane at all-

5 Likes

Then the development team can make appropriate trade-offs, such as using an IR-guided head to achieve similar capabilities to the KH38, rather than cutting this feature outright. We strongly request to discuss this with the development team directly instead of wasting time here. God knows whether the development team will see these comments or if they don’t care at all.

4 Likes

Except this is evidently wrong when you play top tier… I agree brimstones on a feature level (full feature) would be superior to KH38s but that is not my issue.

You argue balance for brimstones but are somehow ok having Kh38s with a launch range far exceeding SAMs engagement ranges, and some SAMs have deadzones that depending on the launch height/distance of the Su25, these are LITERALLY invisible to the SAM (even on thermals) meaning the ability to counter them through direct hits becomes impossible.

This also doesnt cover the fact while smoke is a valid count these dont give off any warning to LWS systems because its TV guided meaning for a lot of tanks who are simply fighting tanks DO NOT see them and die with no counterplay

If you think this is somehow “not comparable” to brimstones when the issue is “balance” not features them im lost for words

7 Likes

Or just model the seeker with limitations until they introduce other threats to compete with it. They did it to magic 2s, which they still haven’t unfucked.

A direct answer was given in detail. I understand you disagree with it, but that does not mean it was not given.

Developer comment: We’d like to mention that Brimstone will only have semi-active laser homing (SAL) mode in the game. The fire and forget mode and the active radar homing seeker will not be available for a few reasons. The primary reason is that this seeker utilizes the “lock-on after launch (LOAL)” mode, this mode allows the weapon to be fired in the general area of a target without needing any actual precision from the operator, who can remain at long range in complete safety.

We feel weapons that can be used outside of the direct line of sight of the target without needing any preliminary reconnaissance or direct user targeting are not currently workable for the game. Weapons such as Brimstone, AGM-114L cause a particular problem and similarly to other ATGMs that have lock after launch modes like the Spike and AJ.168 will not have such abilities in the game.

These weapon types present several issues all at once, they require no challenge to use effectively and have no counterplay options for those being attacked. The attacker can operate outside of the range of any anti-air system in the game, Brimstone is also immune to smoke, so this won’t help either.

ARH modes for air-to-ground weapons won’t be workable until natural and artificial interference to these guidance systems can be implemented, as there are no electronic reconnaissance and electronic warfare systems in the game. Adding these weapons now would allow them to operate perfectly without any counter, which we don’t want to do. Additionally, at closer combat ranges ATGMs with ARH cannot distinguish between allied and enemy targets, and this would lead to a large amount of accidental teamkills as well.

1 Like