The SU-27SM might be the WORST top tier i have ever played

I’m not the one that made the post, though I have reason to believe the FM is not properly modeled.

What? I have not done this. Are you talking to the right person?

Devs have been known to make questionable decisions regarding bug reports, by the way. While a lot of conversations do tend to be overly harsh and toxic, it isn’t without some valid criticism.

Oh yea, forgot they exist, lol

There really isn’t much to expect from the Su-27SM beyond what the Su-27 was. But it’s still possible to shoot down 3-4 enemies from 10km away in 5-6 seconds in HDN. If you’re not using the radar in TWS mode, which is currently completely broken.

Still perpetuating the myth that the R-77 was better xD

For in game usage its buffed from how it should perform since no one is shooting very high or very fast.

crazy what happens when you attach an air brake to a missile, almost like no one else on earth uses lattice fins on BVRAAM for a reason.

2 Likes

I’m sure they don’t shoot you before 10KM, they are just clueless unarmed bots

Yes. Uphill. Both ways.

Just don’t alert their RWR. Arriving with a surprise MDF and finishing them off.

It was better than anything the US was using until the AIM-120B+ models, which would not have been out yet. The AIM-120C-5 came out in 2000 last I recall.

Gaijin hasn’t modeled the dynamic drag of the grid fins through the transonic region, instead settling for a drag value that permits reasonable range performance for low altitudes. In this case, it is the lesser of the two performances they could have chosen. This means it underperforms in most supersonic launch scenarios.

3 Likes

AIM-120 range didnt increase until the C-5 model

Furthermore, the R-77 would still be utter crap in the majority of WT launch scenarios, Gaijin made a pragmatic choice with their drag coefficient choice. This range chart clearly showing R-77 can reach those extreme ranges of the AMRAAM if at appropriate speed and altitude, its just takes a lil bit of time ;)

Frankly Gaijin did the R-77 a favor by not modeling dynamic drag, given the absolutely horrid energy bleed when maneuvering or below high supersonic speeds.

r77 data

AMRAAM range:
aim-120 range russian

R-77 Range:

Overlayed:

Range isn’t the only performance metric.

Source?

AMRAAM range from sources verifiably wrong (much closer to AIM-120C-5 expectations)

You’re really trying to lie your point into some form of validity and it shows.

3 Likes

Range is the factor you most often harp on, the maneuverability is more than sufficient, while the seeker is cutting edge.

The majority of players still stay low enough and slow enough that it would be to their detriment that the R-77 get variable drag, hurting their already poor launch profiles. If you want to go larp at high altitudes and high airspeed thats fine, but its a minority of players, and wont reward you in game impact or performance the way you hope.

If you have better AIM-120 sources pony up and post em, the Russians are very capable of estimating missile range and their data is public. Not to mention they post their own R-77 data, which further shows what a poor missile it is.

Edit: To add to all this, prior to the patch you are the person responsible for this legendarily bad take:

2 Likes

No?

The range is cool, time to target is significantly underperforming. The seeker is behind the AIM-120’s.

The graphs you showed aren’t even sources. @Gunjob and @Flame2512 have actual legit sources on AIM-120 performance.

Cope? You literally just posted Indian defense forum graphs with no source as a basis?

And c5 stil nowhere close to r37 in range which shot down aircraft at 200+km.

Your range charts indicate that r77 is supposed to have ~ 80% range of aim120. However in hame it has only 50-60%.

So if it’s true i think game implementation is really bad and needs a fix.

The charts shared for AIM-120 exaggerate expected performance, is much closer to AIM-120C-5 performance.

Any non russian source for this? Or is this another Max__Damage moment?

the only source is an Indian news site retroactively claiming a claimed shootdown by an S-300 system was actually an Su-57, it’s completely bogus propaganda that wasn’t even claimed by the Russians

nope, R-77 is overperforming, Russian trash is just that bad, major brain fart on the part of the designers thinking dogfights would still be relevant

My in game chart shows the AMRAAM is actually out-ranged at a 15000m shot, but i cant expect this thread to be able to read.

“The Brits totally lied on internal testing on the AMRAAM bro”

3 Likes