The return of the Tiger 2 10.5cm

the F-16AJ was proposed/planned to be sold to japan but those plans did not go through the only thing really fake is the name but the weapons and other modifications were done to it IRL so mainly do a name change to it

Nailed it.

The hull of the Panther II was, but the turret was not. The one in the game is inaccurate information and we do not and would not know the performance of the turret. The realistic Panther II also only be comparable to the Panther F as they share the same turret.

Once again the only Panther Ii that could exist is this

The Tiger II 10.5 never existed, there is no photography, no schematics the farthest they went to see if the gun could even fit a turret reality it couldn’t, and even if they did make it fit->would make it front-heavy.

If you gonna state something at least provide proof of such luxurious claims.

2 Likes

Yeah well thats the difference between soviet and german tank design. German tanks of ww2 are way overrated from the mythology that surrounds them, thanks to modern and old media. No tank design is perfect but as a starter, just realize that the IS-2 1944 is only around 2 tons heavier than the panther, whilst carrying a much bigger gun and much thicker armor etc. Same goes for the IS-3 around 50 tons, leauges ahead of the tiger 2, in armor, firepower and given the insane weight of 70 tons, in mobility aswell. Not to mention reliability that comes from excessive weight. Plz correct me if i am wrong, but the panther 44 tons, the tiger 1 some odd 52 tons and the tiger 2 70 tons all use the same engine and transmission… Oh and i forgot to mention:
Uden titel

2 Likes

Similiar. The Panther II was suppose to have a new turret, which was very similiar to the turret which was eventually constructed for the Panther F. But this Panther II turret was never constructed since they realized they can’t afford to stop producing the Panther and set-up Panther II production.
Instead they cooperated many ideas of the Panther II into the ongoing Panther I production over time, which eventually led to a Panther being produced with a new turret, being the Panther F.

1 Like

Wasn’t just that, what sealed the Panther II’s fate was the fact that one engineer realized they could just install thin, light, and durable armored plates to the sides of the vehicle->Skirts which would neglect Anti-Tank Rifle Rounds and even possibly smaller caliber shells such as 12.7’s, 14.5 and so on. This idea eventually evolved into Schutzen Spaced Armor around 1942. But the principles come from this simple idea of one engineer who we will never know by name, unfortunately for now.

1 Like

No, that’s just some fairy tale.

The Panther II project had nothing to do with increasing the armor to stop 14.5mm AT Rifle rounds.
It’s really more like with the Tiger II and Tiger I.

The Tiger I was a rather old project that had some major flaws, like the lack of sloped armor, which would greatly increase the efficency of the armor.

While the Tiger was on the way, they already were working on the Tiger II and the same happened with the Panther.
The idea was that the Panther might not be enough and that soon the allies would catch up, putting out their own Panther like medium tank, so in order to be ahead, the Panther II was supposed to surpass the Panther by having more armor and potentially more firepower with some part interchangeability with the Tiger II.

Sideskirts were good enough to protect the Pz IVs and StuGs with their merely 30mm of side armor, while adding sideskirts to the Panther or just increasing the side armor by 5mm would have made no difference in being able to protect from the 14.5mm AP round.

But unlike the Tiger II, the Panther II wasn’t such a big improvement that would warrant to switch production, thus the project was canceled.

1 Like

Theoretically, yes, but the solution of using side skirts has the advantage of beign also applicable to the vehicles already assembled and/or in service.

Actually, the Tiger I and Panther were not as unreliable as commonly claimed. There was a video by Military History Visualized I believe on the subject. Mostly supply issues with keeping them running if they broke down. Those points still do not counter the fact that the T-44-122 has a much smaller turret. Simple reality there. And the Soviet tanks you stated have those armor values because they are much smaller, which again is why I say the Schmalturm could house the 88mm. I also just read a Tank Encyclopedia article showing that development work made it feasible. I am not making the “German tanks the best” argument, I am more just saying that if a T-44-122 which has a vastly smaller turret can house the 122mm, then the Panther could house the 88mm.

I am not saying the one in game is accurate on the whole, just that it is not entirely fictional. The HL 234 did exist though, and it was planned to be the upgrade for Tiger II, Jagdtiger and so on.

I said side armor, not front armor. I also wouldn’t call it a fairy tale when you consider the fact that space armor used by many German vehicles ended up stopping a lot of AT rounds didn’t mean they were immune but it heavily reduced the chance while remaining extremely cheap to mass produce since it was simply a flat sheet of steel.

So perhaps it is total bull but there is still clearly some truth in it. Whenever it is or not.

Just because the engine existed does not mean it was planned to be mounted into the other vehicles. Unless you can bring up sources that prove your point. Your claim has remained a nothing burger at best.

Panther 2 had thicker front armor, but there is no evidence that it was ever going to have an 88mm gun. The 75mm high velocity cannon on the Panther was still sufficient to defeat most armored threats in the allied inventory, so it is likely that Panther 2 would have been armed with that gun. The biggest goal of the Panther 2 project was to establish a commonality of parts with the Tiger 2 thereby simplifying the logistical supply chains for German panzer divisions.

I get your point, and i would like to read that article sounds very interesting. If you dont mind please link the Tank Encyclopedia article, sounds like a good read :)

That would be odd given the Panther F came to be a whole year after work on Panther 2 was halted.

A “realistic” Panther 2 put together on the known Prototype Panther 2 hull would imo likely have received a Panther D or Panther A turret as thats what was available around the time of its development in 1943.

1 Like

Don’t overanalyze the statement meant to be a very light comment. Relatively is similarities rather than exact.

My comment is also meant to be very light. I was somewhat interested if there was information to point in it having a narrow turret design planned.

Panther II mit 8.8 cm KwK 43 L/71 (Fake Tank) - Tank Encyclopedia they do a great job talking about the real thing and the fake ones.

2 Likes

Edit: pretend there is an image here ↑
Yeah thats a turret for the Panther F at the Bovington tank museum.

And yeah they mention a experimental turret for the Panther 2 was never completed. Tho id assume there could be drawings of what it would look like.

2 Likes