The R-77 'ADDER' - History, Design, Performance & Discussion

Here’s a guy diving and cranking. Probably not notching to hold DL on AMRAAMs which is what I capitalize on.

Rookie mistake.

Again, the enemy doesn’t know what he is doing

You can always fire another missile, you don’t live again

Most people provide DL on their AMRAAMs long range or else they won’t go pitbull. The AMRAAM will have to rely on IOG to find the target.

You have more than 1 missile, and the missile money isn’t from your own wallet

You don’t need to go all in with your Aim-120

I’m not saying the ER is equivalent to the AMRAAM, but the ER is great at capitalizing on SPAMRAAMers climbing at high altitude. If you shoot at extreme ranges and manage your closure rate, there’s a really good chance you’ll survive the engagement and maybe get a kill. Like this:

65km kill and defending against 2 AMRAAMs and a Phoenix

For those wondering, the drag value is dependent on other factors. A larger missile will generally have a lower CxK than a smaller one.

Ramblings about CxK, Caliber, so on.

Spoiler

AIM-54A for example;
Caliber: 0.38
CxK: 1.005

AIM-7 for example;
Caliber: 0.2
CxK: 2.3

Some missiles such as the AIM-54 or AIM-7 are outliers in regards to CxK because of a couple of reasons. The first is that the AIM-54 is much larger than other types. Nearly double the size of the AIM-7 in regards to caliber. The AIM-7 in spite of being the same or similar caliber to the R-77, has a higher CxK (more drag). This is to account for the overperformance in thrust (and still doesn’t quite do it). The AIM-7’s total impulse is iirc around 20% higher than it should be.

Now to compare the FOX-3 MRAAM’s…
The PL-12 and the R-77 have similar caliber & CxK. The R-77 is expected to have a higher nominal drag coefficient than the PL-12 in comparison but it doesn’t. I think it is possible that the length of the missile is accounted for in the formula somehow as well as the caliber & CxK. I could probably run some tests to see if length affects drag.

PL-12;
Caliber: 0.203
CxK: 1.6

R-77;
Caliber: 0.2
CxK: 1.7

The R-77 is slightly smaller caliber, has slightly higher CxK. This shows that the R-77 has similar drag coefficients to a conventionally finned missile of similar size. The difference is closer than the 0.1 value difference of the CxK as well, since a larger missile will generally also reduce the CxK value in unison.

The MICA is an interesting point of discussion as well, being an outlier. The performance is an outlier because the drag value is unusually low for a smaller caliber missile.
MICA;
Caliber: 0.165
CxK: 1.65

Missiles of similar size and design (TVC) such as the R-73 have the following values;
R-73
Caliber: 0.17
CxK: 2.5

PL-8
Caliber: 0.16
CxK: 3.3

I think my conclusion for the MICA is that the TVC already causes a lot of wobble, combined with the fact that it should be lofting in most launches… they decided to reduce the CxK value so that it meets expected range criteria in spite of the shortcomings of the implementation.

Notably, the R-77 gained additional fin AoA (46 up from 40) while ever so slightly reducing lateral fin acceleration. Wing area mult value was increased as well. Excited to try this out. Unfortunately there is the return of the seemingly a-historical loft.

On the NATO side, the AIM-120’s fins AoA was drastically reduced from nearly ~37 to the historical ~27. I suspect this will put the R-77 ahead in maneuverability but it will still be close I think.

No, not really. Not against any opponent playing BVR with Fox-3s and respects incoming threats with appropriate evasive maneuvers. If you’re going to try to slap some inattentive fool with an R-27E, you’re better off reminding them that the R-27ET exists.

2 Likes

AMRAAM got a buff to its motor thrust too, so it should have a higher range despite a drag increase

Guidance delay was increased from 0.3 to 0.5 seconds for AIM-120A drastically reducing the time it begins to pull.

can’t see that in the datamine

Screenshot_20240717_183211_Samsung Internet

Could you make comparison of all changed ones at longer range high alt high speed? Like, launch all at once?

1 Like

No, i cant, not mine video, thats from Datamine server

so they’re buffing the 77?

Yes, along with all other missiles

This hit amraam pretty hard, but I believe it’s much more historical now. Ranges are also now accurate. It’s no longer than absolutely HOBS menace it was.

1 Like

I believe this is a historical change.

The delay from ejection to guidance is just over 0.5s irl.

Source?

Tornado manual for the launch effect chain.