The R-77 'ADDER' - History, Design, Performance & Discussion

99% ARB battles it’s hight ( for sea level ) supersonic speeds ( 1.2-1.3 m ) at the first encounter

All arguments I conveniently answered for you in my reply that you’ve continued to ignore. Instead you come here perpetuating that these decisions regarding how they model the missiles are done on purpose to favor Russian missiles.

The truth is, it currently would. It is not in the game yet, we are not certain the wave drag will be modeled or not. In the event that it is not modeled it won’t yield any crazy results either. The R-77 is already superior to the early AMRAAMs and this trend would just continue without wave drag being modeled for grid fins.

The ground launched ranges are also of little use … only solving a small portion of the puzzle which is launch speed and altitude being net 0. The missiles top speed, acceleration, as well as the altitude, speed, trajectory of the target are all still unknown.

The seeker limitation is not a cop-out. The purpose of the R-77 being a SAM was because it is cheap. It is significantly cheaper than an AMRAAM, and adding a ground based radar to guide the weapon initially would greatly increase the cost of the complex and make it non-competitive with NASAMS which was the purpose of it at the time. Without an additional radar, the maximum launch range is seeker limited as mentioned in the source I gave you.

2 Likes

Moon rune translation

What document is this from? Is it available for public distribution?

@BBCRF Please provide evidence that what you posted is declassified in accordance with the forum rules.

https://forum.warthunder.com/t/source-material-restrictions-on-classified-and-export-restricted-information-military-restrictions/2069/3

yes

Grid wings edited by Belotserkovsky publishing house Mashinostroenie 1985

1 Like

Thank you, restored your post.

1 Like

Would you be able to upload the document somewhere and share it with me so I may look over it?

2 Likes

It seems relatively recently they gave Mirage 2000s a new mechanism where it gets reduced drag when supersonic, so supposedly it’s possible for them to transport the same mechanisms over to R-77.

2 Likes

I can’t imagine it would be very difficult to code, at the same time it probably won’t happen. Not initially.

I’m trying to put the P-77 on the calculation, but the grid is too small there is not enough hardware capacity for calculation

We came to a conclusion on it’s drag coefficient previously and tested, and it sailed beyond 80km quite easily in every test.

1 Like

Made a report to hopefully fix the MiG-29s lack of AoA.
Community Bug Reporting System :)

source

I’m not gona translate all of this, so you can try web translate if you want

1 Like

MiG-29 in standard configuration is not allow to perform “cobra”, this is stable aircraft at any angle of attack with poor high AoA roll/yaw control. The Max AoA available for sharp and rapid pitching up were about 55-60deg, will be corrected to this previous values.

The estimations from ICA3112 is far away from practical aerodynamics description book. The source videos don’t show exact values of AoA and actually look like around 50-60deg AOA.

Cobra itself is not useful maneuver figure, and has no any positive effect battle performance.

What a joke…

1 Like

Source

Practical aerodynamics of the MiG-29 states that the aircraft is not stable during overloads in the AoA regimes beyond 14 degrees. Maybe I am misunderstanding this.

In any case, the aircraft in-game is incapable of performance shown at simple airshows let alone what it might have done in real combat. The Cobra may not be useful, but being able to do it will show the aircraft is properly modeled in the first place.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1066148362497306684/1153704025846448158/image.png
(Original)

4 Likes

IMG_20230923_211024

1 Like