The "overflowing RP" bug is worse than i thought

The well known bug (that has been known for years at this point) where overflowing RP for modules disappear when playing several games in quick succession, is worse than i thought.
Its not just overflowing RP, Its entire games that can evaporate into thin air.

• I had 2200 RP left on the module “wings repair”.

• played one game (where i got ~2700RP) but died early.

• I jumped into a second game, got two kills and died early.

• In menu the first game finishes and i get my 2700RP, i finish the “wings repair” module and get 500rp that overflows that i put into the module “engine”.

• The second game finishes shortly after and the 1750RP i got in that match isn’t put into engine but instead into the already researched and purchased “wings repair”??

Screenshots

I’ve only ever seen this happen to singular games where the overflow disappears (in this case the 500 i put into engine would disappear). But entire games? where the module is already finished and purchased? This is a first for me…

8 Likes

You got your title messed up. It says PR not RP

1 Like

Thanks x)

Yep np

@Gunjob
would you happen to have any information at all on the progress of fixing this bug?

It is so very sad to see that it has been in the game for 7 years at this point.

(also, would it be worth creating a bug report on this since it’s an entire game and not just the overflow that the original report is about?)

5 Likes

I did this yesterday without issue.
Yes, modules had issues keeping up with the battles, but I did one battle after the quick ones and it stabilized with all the correct RP.

As far as I know it’s always ever been a visual bug with the UI. A desync with the server and client until updated after one battle.

Are you saying that if i now do one more battle the 1750 RP that disappeared should come back into the new module?

I haven’t had any issues when its within the same module, its ALWAYS when a module finishes before all the played battles are concluded. and even then its usually just one battle that is on the overlap that is the issue and then the others add RP on the new module.
This is the first time i’ve seen it not put RP from an entire battle onto any module.

Edit:
Played another game, the 1750RP is still missing.

Screenshots

Edit 2:
Restarted client, still missing.

There are a few different bugs related to RP. The biggest bug (you are talking about) is this one:

This is not just an interface bug, and it’s acknowledged by the devs for years. It is related to joining the next battle while the previous one is still in progress.

At first I thought this bug appears, when the previous battle is still in progress, when the second battle finishes, but in the recent months I saw this bug even when the previous battle finished before the second battle (I checked the replays section on the website to confirm this).

It’s definitely best to just change the researched modification before entering the next battle (if you have previous battles still in progress). Just make sure the new modification you choose isn’t close to the required RP, as it can bug itself as well. It’s a very weird bug, because the game definitely adds more RP than required to selected modification. It should be easy to detect and fix this by checking mentioned condition and moving all the RP above the required to the unused modification RP pool.

Maybe they don’t want to touch this, because there is actually a situation, where the devs add more modifications in a row, which reduces the single modification cost. If the system was working like I described, part of the modifications RP (above the required RP) would be moved to free RP pool and you could buy the new modification immediately, without grinding it. Maybe they don’t want this to happen, I don’t know. It’s really strange they ignore this bug for whole 7 years (when it was reported for the first time).

PS. I’m not a native English speaker, so if my message is unclear, sorry about that. It’s really hard to explain this to me, but it makes sense, at least in my head. ;)

2 Likes

i understood everything without issue :)

1 Like

Been a known issue for 5 years at least.

2 Likes

Not a bug …“Feature”

6 Likes

the overflow from one game yes, but i haven’t seen anything about entire games disappearing. (it might exist on the old forum, but i couldn’t find anything about it on the issues site)

Not nearly as common I guess, but it’s also difficult to track, I’ve not gotten RP at times but I think usually I eventually got it.

I understand this bug in a way that the game doesn’t execute the RP overflow check on specific modification in some situations.

When this happened to you, whole the RP was wasted, since you got enough RP in the first battle. The second battle didn’t check the overflow at all, so the game just put everything into the previously selected modification, which was wings repair.

So from my perspective, I don’t see anything different here. For example, your wings repair have 14000/12000 RP currently (it’s just an example). That additional 2000 RP should be moved in this situation to the free RP pool, but it wasn’t. In theory if you played 5 battles while being bugged, the game would put the RP from all 5 battles into wings modification.

The only question for me is, when exactly this bug appears. Because I tried to get this bug on purpose a few times and didn’t manage to do this. It’s surely related to joining the next battle while the previous battle is still in progress, but it’s not like it happens every single time. It only happens from time to time, and I can’t figure out what exactly triggers this bug.

The interesting thing is, we also had a similar bug during events. I don’t know if you remember crafting events with boxes added every 3k score. It was possible to bug this in a similar way the RP bug works. You could get e.g. 2990 event score and then quickly enter battles while the first battle is still in progress, just die and change battle. This bug allowed you to complete the event in no time, because when you were bugged, every battle that you joined, when the first battle was still in progress gave you an additional crate. You could get many crates this way, by just joining next and next battle. The bug was over the moment the first battle finished. But all the battles that you already started in that time were already bugged and provided you additional crate, when they finished. This bug was reported and the devs fixed it relatively quickly (they probably added additional checks in the code), but the RP bug stayed, so they didn’t fix the global issue with multiple battles started at the same time.

There is definitely some kind of problem with battles in progress, and it looks like just a bad code to be honest. It causes problems also in other areas of the game, not only the RP calculations.

I’m guessing that the game assigns the module to apply the RP to at game start (or something like that) instead of doing the check when the game finishes instead.

That was my thought too, but it doesn’t happen every single time, only sometimes. That’s the part I don’t fully understand.

I would have to test this a lot to get any sensible results, and I’m a bit lazy to be honest, because testing this just wastes my time. And it shouldn’t even be the players job to figure out bugs. It’s the devs who have all the tools, including the debugger and line by line code execution to figure out what exactly happens and what can cause the bug.

And to be honest, like I wrote in one of my previous posts, they could just add a simple workaround and just trigger additional RP overflow check when every battle finishes (something they did to fix the event crates bug). The additional check wouldn’t fix the original bug that causes whole this mess, but at least it would make sure players won’t lose the RP.

1 Like

For me, a semi reliable way to trigger it is to have a nearly researched modification/new vehicle. You have to play 2 games one after another instantly, and the 2nd one has to finish before the first. Then 1st game RP will be lost, and RP from the second will either work just fine, or will just add the needed amount to finish research, and the rest will be lost.
Same thing will happen if you have all things in the current era researched, but not bought, so the next era is not unlocked, all RP then will be lost, that could come to next vehicle.

It’s not a visual bug, you straight up just lose RP

I’m pretty sure this also impacts other items - like wagers. I’ve been playing some wagers lately in sim and often leave the game as soon as the wager stage is completed to join another battle and occasionally I’ve had issues that showed up later. I’ve certainly had the 2nd game finish early and I believe that messed up the staging of the wager.

Get through a number of games during a single session, eventually I’ll have glitched exit screens with rewards from previous battles showing up but stats from the current battle - and it will sometimes display a wager “loss” when I’ve met the conditions of the wager because it’s displaying a previous games results, etc.

It’s almost an explanation for the whole “vehicle lock” situation in the first place, maybe that was put there because they’ve always had issues tracking progress with multiple games in progress for the same account.