The Leclerc is in dire need of a buff

Well your source is from 2013 when Attica was freshly developed. There wasn’t really a variety in varaiants and no Leo in service with it. So it’s highly that ist just about getting Attica on the platform which was done a few years later

Understandable. I’ll see if I can’t find the original forum post later.

Interesting. Well if it makes any difference the Leclerc is 160mm less wider.

In any case, the low weight of the Leclerc shouldn’t be discounted. I don’t know if the Leclerc hull could realistically achieve up to 1000mm LOS. We’ll see eventually if the XLR does end up 65t as sources suggest and how the armour is changed. FYI: The current “XLR” is just still just an SXXI but with a different BMS.

1 Like

ATTICA wasn’t “new” in 2013. Models Z & P were already on the market for a few years by that point, and if you dig deep enough, you can find mentions of the M model as far back as 2011 as well. It’s the GL and M2 models that are “relatively” recent (± the last 10 years).

1 Like

France no copy past without Benelux? lol Its the Country with the most Copy past vehicules in the game!!
We have Milan and mirage 5 just because Kfir. Same for AML90 because African/israel, all sherman & crusader, all AMX 50/Lorraine/Somua, Roland ebcause germany and USA, ITO because Swedish.
-All Leclerc with their stupid BR at 11.7 without an once of armor and Nitroglycérine Fuel tank in front and bugged + lower Pen ammo when a simple Abrams A1at 11.0 is better than Leclerc with same pen (slightly higher) same relaod without Autoloder so better!! And 4 crew! ANd him have a armored Tank with NERA who work+ same mobility. Can i speak to MBT200, Leo 2A5/6 or T80 who are all lower than Lerclerc and better in the game?
Must i continue for the plane too? All USA propellers+ CRUZ,F86K, F84F, F100D. Jaguar because Britain too, and finaly the Alpha jet where Germany got the best as always with this Nation! In place of add the 2 both side. Ah so tired of Gaijin.

1 Like

I couldn’t find the original source. But here’s the full image @FurinaBestArchon :

Yeah, I wouldn’t call it a maintenance diagram. Nor even a diagram put out by GIAT as those always have a specific style to them like so:

Spoiler

In any case. British documents state that both the hull and turret achieved 420 KE. So the protection is mostly uniform across the hull and turret. For the turret, there are diagrams of the turret layout from GIAT which shows the LOS thickness being 650 - 700mm on the S1.

As a disclaimer for everyone, British documents are from a time before the first Leclerc was even off the production line. But well, I’ll talk more in-depth about armour another day.

3 Likes

I see, well that’s good enough for me.

In any case. British documents state that both the hull and turret achieved 420 KE. So the protection is mostly uniform across the hull and turret. For the turret, there are diagrams of the turret layout from GIAT which shows the LOS thickness being 650 - 700mm on the S1.

We can actually estimate the hull’s LoS using the turret’s at a neutral for it angle since that’s the case. Here’s what I got:

Spoiler

Not completely accurate, but maybe another day as I need to go now. For one, width of the Leclerc excluding sideskirts is 3.38m according to GIAT, with sideskirts it should be 3.71m.

New Leclerc

6 Likes

That seems like the 2022 EMBT turret to me.

Yes, the new EMBT is very interesting. A few things I noted:

• It looks like Safran will be developing brand new sights for the MGCS. Were the French going to be using PASEO they would’ve used one of the mock-up sights they’ve got lying around. This is very interesting: PASEO is only about 10 years old and can objectively be considered the best in the world due to its stabilisation quality, thermal imaging, target detection, identification, etc. This would indicate the French want an even longer-range sight most likely for the hypervelocity munitions they have been developing.
  • I suspect it’s going to be a 20mm autocannon. If it were a 25mm or above it would make more sense to use CTAS 40 as that is as compact as the GIAT M811 (found on the VBCI). CTAS 40 would be able to engage almost every IFV at distance as well as providing superlative anti-infantry capabilities. Furthermore, the upcoming modernisation of the French VBCI fleet will see them upgraded with the CTAS 40 so from a logistical standpoint it would make sense as both the VBCI and Leclerc are supposed to operate in tandem.
  • Whilst the EMBT is once again using a 2A7 hull, I suspect the French will end up developing their own to comply with the French army’s wish to have a sub-50 tonne tank. Though I wonder if the French will move to ERA as that would be the only way to achieve the necessary degree of protection…
  • There’s no ANTARES situational awareness devices or Pilar V acoustic gunshot detectors as found on the rest of the French army’s vehicles (excluding the Leclerc and VBCI) so I wonder if they’ll ever be fitted.
  • Also, the crewless turret could mean some goofy traverse speeds (the Leclerc is supposed to have a technical horizontal traverse speed of 72°/s)
  • Promotheus APS is cool to see. I heard that a certain war prompted the French to develop an APS that can engage threats from a steep angle of attack hence why it’s been taking so long.

A very cool vehicle. And I think it proves that France is in a position where there’s nothing they can learn from the Germans which they don’t already know, or surpass them in for that matter (except perhaps armour technology?).

8 Likes

I know someone who works at KNDS who’ll be present in the stands doing sale talks. He agreed to take me as much brochures and official data as possible, I’ll try to share it with you people if and when I can.

8 Likes

Now KNDS France needs to put the recent ascalon 140 turret on this beauty " I hope its a french derived hull"

That way germany can keep its 2a7 hull to their tech tree.

Similar To how the 8.7 oscillating turret tank that went to both FR and GR respectively.

1 Like

Clearer picture

Has triple atgm launcher that the German hulled turret lacks.
Possibly MP atgm?

7 Likes

Make a (Late) variant with HOT-3s that i can uae at top tier. I’d rather not ruin my 8.7 lineup (already ruined with the lack of CAS)

This is not the hull of Leopard 2. It is believed that additional armor was added to the Leclerc’s hull.

1 Like

The MEPHISTO we have in game is already the late variant, if anything what should be added is an early one.

3 Likes

One requirement of the MGCS is a maximum weight of 50t. If France and Germany use their own hulls because of some other reason, you might as well stop the project.

1 Like

are they litteraly trying to make the best tank they could for warthunder to make us the players happy ?
(jk it seems really impressive nonetheless)

1 Like

MGCS requirement was 60t IIRC. Only the French really want a 50t tank.

Why split ways now when you can get the either side to pay for 50% of all the cool stuff you want to develop?

1 Like