The best WW2 tank ever made by a minor nation: Hungary's 44M Tas

they are 1:8 layouts

only 1. from miled steel. idk where you got info about 2nd.

You are Hungarian ? The information is from the MH Hadtörténeti Intézet és Múzeum.

4 Likes

hmmm, am i hungarian. good question, especially when i have russian nickname

found no info.

44M Tas sight is the only remaining part from the tank.

TOOL LINE
🔭The only known surviving part of the 44 M Tas heavy tank
With the demise of the Institute of Military Technology and its legal successors, several research and development tools entered the collections of the Museum of Military History. The instrument collection includes the prototype of the gun sight of the legendary 44 M Tas heavy tank, manufactured by Magyar Optikai Művek.
The device’s distance-adjusting device and barrel housing are the same as the sights of the 40 M Turán medium tank and the 43 M Zrínyi II assault howitzer. There is a striking difference in the design and length of the main pipe and main pipe extension. The magnification of its optics is 1.75x for the previously mentioned combat vehicles, while the Tas sight is 1.77x. The field of view for both devices is 40 degrees. The fact that the artifact is a prototype is mostly indicated by the divisions of the fiber plate, which are completely identical to the divisions of the 43 M Zrínyi II assault howitzer. Shots were not fired with the gun intended for regularization, so its results could not be available when the gun sight was made. Furthermore, based on the available data, they wanted to standardize only armor-piercing and fragmentation weapons for the 44 M Tas heavy tank, while the “6 nos charge” found on the fiber plate. (load 6) and “Köd.gr.” (fog grenade) also clearly refers to the 43 M Zrínyi II assault howitzer.
In order to show its size (length: 860 mm) - and at the same time the size of the carrier vehicle - we placed next to it for comparison the gun sight of the American-made M4 Sherman tank (length: 660 mm) deployed by the Soviet Red Army on the battlefield in Hungary, which you can also read about here: https ://www.facebook.com/…/pfbid02YtVvs44tmjzTruXrViPk2…
There are many open questions about the Tas heavy tank, such as how the gun sight survived and why it was not destroyed along with the Weiss-Manfred factory and the semi-finished mild steel prototype vehicle. Presumably, the MOM produced several copies for the Institute of Military Technology, and at least one of them survived the destruction of the war in one of the organization’s warehouses.

3 Likes

Okay, if there were 2 prototypes, which i don’t believe, on which there was 75mm 43m and on which different (???) gun?

The gun was successfully converted into a tank gun and fired into Hajmáskér.

2 Likes

Can you elaborate on this? How do you know where it was tested?

Well, tas must have 173 mm of penetration, not 156. And what’s the type of Explosives dies it have?

Maybe, you could write that in english? Cince this is the english part of the forum?

Just translate it:

2 Likes

How do you know that it must have had 173 mm of penetration?

The explosive filler is either Pentolite 50/50 (mix of 50% TNT and 50% PETN) or maybe just TNT. It has a lot of explosive filler though.

Dude that’s all doesn’t matter, because 80mm was never mounted on tas, as it says on Hungarian site.
Engineers WANTED mount it in tas, but on tests 80mm gun (not in tank) showed bad results and for temporary usage was chosen a 75mm 43m.
So 80mm tas never existed

which 80mm gun showed bad results? Because what Karika wrote is that there were faults with the gun, thus production was delayed to fix those faults.
And since the TAS had a gunner optic made for it with “8cm. 43M. TAS heavy tank” written on it, its not a hypothesis that an 80mm gun was the main caliber selected for the tank.

Besides on the topic of “never mounted on” the turret was never mounted on the hull either.

2 Likes

This one. While engineers were fixing it, 75 mm gun was mounted in tank

To produce a gun and to mount it in tank are 2 different things. Second one was never done

Didnt the Yak 141 never have some stuff that it does ingame? and are we forgetting about Japanese top tier…

Hell now I think of it didn’t some jets in the American tree not even have counter measures, the Radkampfwagen 90s turret wasn’t even properly installed on the damn tank let along be useable (lack of drivers optics)

3 Likes

By that I assume you mean the AJ and nothing else since every other plane and tank was built and tested in the config we have in game.

Also didnt the T80B never mount thermals… well it mounted them in testing but I think not in production

3 Likes

I dont know where did you find that it would be 173mm, but calculating with Gaijins calculator it is 156mm, so if they put the tank in game than it will probably have that penetration value.

New formuls for calculating of the armour piercing — War Thunder Wiki this is the calculator

http://real-j.mtak.hu/11729/1/Haditechnika_2008.pdf here at page 227 it says that at a 1000m it should have around 130mm of pen, which is like 150-155mm of penetration. Of course, it is calculated.

2 Likes

No idea why did you mentioned yak 141 if we are talking about Hungarian heavy tank

Yak-141 was an aircraft that was historically capable of flight, but never lived to see it having it’s radar or armaments mounted. This lends more credibility to suggesting unfinished prototypes that could at least move on their own weight, such as the 80mm armed Tas.

7 Likes