Taking off asap vs using whole runway - which is fastest?

I don’t know why you guys keep necroing this topic, but I want to correct this statement.
In warthunder the jet engine builds thrust “slowly” and the fuel consumption is only dependent of the thrust being produced.

So if you are going full burner on the runway you aren’t actually using much fuel for the initial time the engine is building is thrust, the afterburner you see is just a scripted visual effect and has nothing to do with the thrust or fuel consumption that the actual jet is doing.

Most the jets with afterburner spool up pretty fast. Either way it’s not much fuel but if you’re not carrying bags it could make a difference (assuming you live long enough to run out of fuel).

I tested my advice earlier and found it accurate…

If you’re rolling whilst on the runway you’re wasting runway, holding brakes mitigates that. When you release the brakes you are gaining speed faster than if you didn’t, and thus you are going faster. The earlier you can hit a good speed to hit the flaps, then you are going to take off faster.

Yes they spool fast, but what I mean is that while it is spooling it isn’t “wasting fuel”, it will still consume far less than after you get over max static thrust while doing so.

I would argue that it is more efficient to go full burner till you get to around mach and then cruise at 101% afterburner if time and traveled distance are taken into account too.

On top tier jets, I like to climb full afterburner till around 5km and then cruise at low afterburner while still doing high mach and being far more efficient with fuel.

For example, with an F-16 I can cruise up there doing 1/4 of the fuel consumption at a even higher speed than I could reach near ground going full blast 110%

man we are still arguing over a post I showed the answer to with a god damn video test just under a year ago?

ffs.

heres the answer: If all you care about is the shortest time from the moment you start moving, to the moment you are airborne: Hold the brakes, as FlyingDoctor argues.

If you want the quickest way to get in the air from the moment you SPAWN on the runway, just throttle up and don’t worry about the brakes.

There, argument solved. Everyone is happy. Everyone gets to be their own version of correct. Done? Done.

1 Like