T-90M's fuel tanks are "external" but stop spalling

Unless it’s a spall liner, specifically dedicated to stopping and mitigating spall.

That’s why the Abrams, with an unprotected steel plate, produces spall. The T-90M, with the protection of a spall liner, doesn’t.

And as they are not in the fighting compartment, they are not internal.

1 Like

This should be modeled ingame to avoid confusion then.

It is.

Please don’t be obtuse.

I’m not? I’ve described it very clearly to you.

I’ve given you the reason behind the dictation between internal/external fuel tanks.
I’ve given you the differences between the internal structure of the Abrams and T-90M, and compared them to similar tanks.

Don’t start pulling off mental gymnastics now, after all of your questions have already been answered.

1 Like

I have viewed it in game, thats why i have made a post about it:

The fuel slows down the projectile a lot, not to mention, the steel walls will slow it down too.

You just reposted a screenshot of the spall liner on the side of the tank something that I’ve already told you you can shoot under and still have the same effect being discussed over the “external” fuel tanks.

The liner you posted a screenshot of has no effect on what is in discussion.

This is not modeled on the Abrams.

The spall liner is very clearly inside the tank, and engulfs all fuel tanks in the forward hull.
The internal photo of the T-90M driver station reciprocates that model.

It mitigates spall into the crew compartment.

It doesn’t slow it down in-game, it only reduces penetration and spall properties.

1 Like

All fuel tanks stop spall and don’t spall.

2 Likes

Yes, that is a picture of the spall liner and reactive materials that surround the T-90Ms fuel tanks.

You’re specifically highlighting the side profile of the tank, though, and blocking view of the fuel tank structures.

As I’m not home, I’ll have to do this crudely on my phone.

This here is the spall liner on the interior side of the fuel tanks. It separates the fuel tanks from the crew and fighting compartment, hence its classification as “external”.
This is corroborated by IRL images of the T-90M driver position.

1 Like

Yes. The reason for discussion is the tanks being labeled “external” yet there is no material modeled between them and the crew compartment.

Spall liner.

This is not modeled ingame.

The fuel tank is white, representing the spall liner surrounding the fuel tank.

You can see very clearly in my first image that this is represented, and modeled, and shown in the x-ray.

I wish this was labeled as such ingame other than being called an “exterior fuel tank”.

The spall liner you’re viewing does not connect to the fuel tanks, you can see this explicitly.

It’s more that it’s made of mild steel which tends to bend rather than spall.