[Would you like to see this in-game?]
A T-64BM1M of the Ukrainian National Guard during training exercises.
- The T-64BM1M is a modernized version of the T-64B1 main battle tank developed by the Kharkiv Morozov Machine Building Design Bureau, or KMBD. The original T-64B1, developed in 1976, is a variant of the T-64B that lacks the capability to fire guided weapons such as gun launched-anti-tank guided missiles (GL-ATGM). Other than the lack of equipment that allows the 125mm main gun to fire GL-ATGM, the T-64B1 retains all of the same capabilities as the T-64B, such as hull layout, powerpack, and electronics. Some equipment of the original T-64B1 included a 2A46M-1 125mm smoothbore gun, a KT-7.62mm coaxial machine gun, a KT-12.7mm anti-aircraft machine gun, the 1A33 ‘Ob’ Fire Control System (FCS), 5TDF liquid-cooled diesel engine producing 700hp, and more. This variant was created due to the budgetary concerns of producing the complex firing mechanism found on the T-64B that allowed it to fire the additional guided ammunition. Several hundred were produced and in use in the Soviet Army and eventually the newly constituted Ukrainian Army in 1991. In 2013, a modernization program was introduced that brought the T-64B1 to semi-modern standards. While the armament wasn’t significantly changed, with some units receiving a new KBA-3 125mm smoothbore gun while retaining the original FCS, the 1A33 ‘Ob’; the armor configuration and the powerpack received a significant upgrade. This new version, the T-64BM1M, comes equipped with Duplet-2M explosive reactive armor (ERA) which, according to manufacturers, can decrease APFSDS-T penetration by up to 90% for older projectiles such as the BM-26, and up to 60% for more modern projectiles such as DM33. It also provides protection against Tandem-HEAT warheads. The Duplet-2M is an upgraded form of the indigenous Nozh ERA found on other tanks such as the T-84. The version used locally and exported, the T-64B1M, comes equipped with Kontact-5 ERA which is the only real difference between the two variants. Additional countermeasures include 8x 902B ‘Tucha’ Smoke Grenade launchers, relocated to both sides of the turret vice two quad-launchers on the same side. The powerpack equipped is the 6TD-2 Turbocharged Diesel Engine which produces 1,000hp, powering critical systems as well as being coupled to the original 7-to-1 manual transmission allowing for increased acceleration and speeds up to 65km/h. The T-64B1M and T-64BM1M are near indistinguishable, with both at times using the name T-64B1M.
- In 2014, the Democratic Republic of the Congo placed an order for 50 T-64B1M main battle tanks from Ukraine, making it the first official export customer of the T-64. However, the order was delayed due to the start of the conflict in Ukraine in early-to-mid 2014. All 50 units were delivered to the Congolese Army in 2016. The first 25 units that were due to arrive in the Congo were sent to the Ukrainian National Guard to provide extra armor support for an underequipped military at the time. Some of these 25 units were upgraded to the T-64BM1M standard and continue to support combat operations during the switch from lower-intensity conflict to high-intensity operations in February, 2022. According to Oryx, 4 units were lost as of September, 2022.
- Due to the very minor differences between the T-64BM1M and T-64B1M, the suggestion will mention the T-64B1M but will focus on the T-64BM1M.
- Role: Main Battle Tank
- Primary: 125mm KBA3 Smoothbore Gun
- Feed System:
- Autoloader, 37rds total.
- Coaxial: KT-7.62mm Machine Gun (1,250rds)
- Roof-mounted: KT-12.7mm Machine Gun (300rds)
- Primary: 125mm KBA3 Smoothbore Gun
- Length: 9.225m (gun forward)
- Width: 3.610m
- Height: 2.170m
- Weight: ~45t
- Engine: 1,200hp 6TD-2 Turbocharged Diesel Engine
- Max Speed: 65km/h
- Transmission: Manual (7-Forward, 1-Reverse)
- Suspension: Torsion Bar
- Laser Rangefinder
- 8x 81mm 902B ‘Tucha’ Smoke Grenade Launchers
- Entrenching Blade
- Duplet-2M ERA (T-64BM1M)
- Kontact-5 ERA (T-64B1M)
- Gunner: TPN1-49-23 (Night Vision Device)
- Commander: TKN-3V (Night Vision Device)
- Driver: TNPO (Day Sight)
- This version of the T-64 would operate very similarly to the T-72B obr. 1989 found in-game. The T-64 is slightly smaller, however features an enhanced powerpack for increased acceleration as well as highly performing ERA, making it an excellent brawler. For location in the game, the T-64BM1M should be placed in a Ukrainian Independent Tree, or Sub-tree within the main part of the tree due to it being an active part in the Ukrainian Armed Forces.
- Estimated Battle Rating: 10.0
- Контракт на поставку украинских танков Т-64БМ1М в Конго аннулирован - bmpd — LiveJournal
- UKRAINE’S ARMORED VEHICLES. CERTIFIED BY BATTLE
- Фото: Украинский модернизированный танк Т-64Б1М — Военный информатор
- Украинские модернизированные танки Т-64БМ1М переброшены на фронт » Военные материалы
- Ukrainian Defense Review #2 [April-June 2019] by Defense Express - Issuu
Image of the T-64BM1M in service with the Ukrainian National Guard.
Different views of the T-64BM1M.
A T-64B1M in Ukrainian Digital camouflage.
Newly fabricated T-64B1M main battle tanks.
A T-64BM1M of the Ukrainian National Guard with its turret slewed.
Additional views of the T-64BM1M.
A damaged but operational Ukrainian T-64BM1M hit by an anti-tank guided missile.
Top view of the T-64B1M.
T-64B1M’s of the Congolese Army.
Videos of the T-64B1M and T-64BM1M of the Ukrainian National Guard.