T-14 Armata mod 2021

That’s zaslon correct?

Yes made by Microtec

You may be referring to warhead tests. single EFP-based warheads are quite capable at lowering APFSDS penetration by 10’s of % - at short range engagements.
Fragment-free warheads are also capable of such results at longer range engagements.

Big issue - this system was reportedly bought by Turkey but only in its light variant which cannot intercept APFSDS.

So far the only manufacturer that claims its APS can defeat APFSDS is Elbit but even then admittedly not with very high reliability. Rafael which is the most successful in the field, explained at IAV 2021 that sensor and computational tech are just not there yet when it comes to discriminating APFSDS projectiles. Tuning to detect them reportedly results in excessive false positives which are incredibly dangerous for a tank surrounded by infantry.

Had it been a full system tested, it could have been quite a breakthrough, but I suspect that just like Rafael did, it’s only warhead tests.

Go to 9:43 for 3BM22

Perhaps your right but its still a decrease

Back before the SVO, Arena-M pre 2022 version is the standard for it, Afganit isunder developing, if Gaijin want to add T-14, they can just use Arena-M.

Right now, APS for APFSDS is a no go.

Black Knight has its Iron Fist APS which can degrade APFSDS rounds in War Thunder.

2 Likes

Was Arena ever installed on a T-14?

Not that I know of.

Well then it can’t be added to an in-game T-14.

1 Like

IIRC there is a pattern for each of them, included 72B3, 90M/MS, otherwise i don’t think BVM got it.
The last image of afganit tested is back from 2021 in Kubinka but the guy who posted just left it without any specific description.
With T-14 designation, i don’t think they consisder APFSDS as a “threat” to APS since with current conflict, they will tune it to more about FPV/Drone

No, Arena is more designed to be mounted on the more conventional Russian tanks, Armata wouldn’t get this because it was designed with Afaganit built into the vehicle itself.

1 Like

New Russian MBT

Sooo… In the absence of evidence it’s simply “If random US defence contractors can’t do it it’s impossible.”

Nobody else could ever have done anything better? This exact attitude is why M60 Pattons would’ve been getting slaughtered by T-64’s in the 60’s.

Soviet APS systems were in service since the mid 80’s, they might just have a small head-start in terms of APS development. Same with ERA, right?

4 Likes

perfect point. Just that usa can’t do something dosent me other people cant

2 Likes

Quite the other way around. In the absence of evidence, we must conclude that Russia cannot produce an APS capable of defeating an APS. Unless, we can create an assumption based on other facts. But there are no facts to even support an assumption.

The USSR never had a headstart in APS, simply because APS is not a single piece of technology that given time will improve. It is a system of many systems, and those many systems were something the USSR never had an advantage in. It was only around 2008 that the world’s first APS was deployed (Drozd may technically be first, but as a program it was failed and withdrawn, equivalent to today cancelling development during trials), and since then Russia did not manage to deploy a single APS.

My guy.

It is trivially easy to produce a list of times when the Soviet Union and Russian Federation were underestimated and/or had a decisive unmatched technological advantage in a particular field.
Doesn’t mean their mastery is unilateral or eternal, but it’s not actually a bad bet that they can do what they say they can.

This is patently false. You’re perfectly aware the Drozd system was created, tested and deployed.
By any measure, that’s both a milestone and a feat.

True.

Patently ludicrous claim.

My good fellow.

Deploying equipment, is in fact, deploying equipment.

Even an unsuccessful deployment is useful experience. Being 25 years ahead of the nearest competition is quite the advantage, even if you didn’t get it to work as well as you might have liked to.

If the Russian Federation had 6 times more budget (Israel has the highest per-capita military spending full stop.) then you can bet they’d have APS systems and every other technological marvel mass produced and deployed everywhere.

As it stands, they “only” managed to design, test and in limited numbers, deploy the world’s first APS. If you can’t see what an achievement that is or what an advantage that history lends to the matter in question, then I must point out you’re just biased.

Unless, of course, you count the Drozd and Afghanit systems, both of which you conveniently deny.
Funny that.

So, much like how R-73 was leagues ahead of it’s competitors at the time, I’m going to assume the military industrial complex with the greatest experience in such matters might have a unique advantage, which it has proven time and time again that it’s perfectly capable of doing.

8 Likes

Great then provide said list for the specific technologies required to build a proper APS that would hold up against a relevant threat and wouldn’t repeat the failure of Drozd.

Then promptly withdrawn and never to be repeated again.

Soviet microelectronics were objectively F tier.

I can tape 4 seaturtles together but that doesn’t make me a competent shipbuilder.

Answer the key question: Why was an APS never deployed in modern Russia, including after 2 years of intense war?

Israel’s entire military budget is like $20 billion. It’s not a lack of Russian money. It’s lack of capability, will, and competence.

Great achievement. Now why are there over 12,000 confirmed destroyed/damaged/captured AFVs in just 2 years?

Afghanit you say? Okay. When was it deployed and where?

2 Likes

Honestly i don’t care about your argument. Either way, i would like to see the T-14 even if some capabilities are questionable(i trust the russians on these stats). WT has tons of prototype vehicles that never were finished so i would be ok with the T-14 APS only being on paper.
I trust it’s capabilities though, because in history russia has made some truly amazing engineering feats, like the caspian sea monster, T-80, T-34, Su-27(my fave fighter jet btw), the world’s best anti air etc.

6 Likes

That’s right. What is important is ‘whether there is data from which inferences can be made’ and not ‘true real-world performance’. Because this is a game. If only perfect historical data was pursued, this game should have stopped updating at 9.0 br.

4 Likes