Submarines - WT Discussion

Since it 's a dipping sonar, my assumption( supported by no sources ) is that it 's not intended to be lowered while the vessel is in motion.
The hydrofoil being as fast as it is would probably allow it to move to the general area of a suspected submarine contact much faster than a submarine could leave, then direct a more substantially armed, but slower or less sensor-equipped large ASW vessel to make an attack.
Though it still has guns for self-defence against similarly-sized ships or aircraft, and the acoustic torpedoes for if a discovered submarine is close enough for them.

Atleast, that 's my theory.

Guess that makes sense if you want to listen below the thermocline although I can see why it didn’t catch on. If you detect a submarine, you probably don’t want to be a sitting duck waiting to reel your sonar back in

but why

not saying theres something wrong with this but why
does israel even have any submarines?

1 Like

ooooh

Indeed it does, it used British T-class boats until the 70’s I believe

1 Like

So new coastal boats added with more ASW kit with this update. Wonder if that is an indication that subs will be coming within an update or two?

6 Likes

hope

1 Like

HNLMS Walrus

An ex Balao class submarine in Dutch service. Would be pretty cool when subs finally arrive

https://www.seaforces.org/marint/Netherlands-Navy/Submarine/S-802-HNLMS-Walrus-1.htm

image015

2 Likes

Should be added purely for Surcouf.

2 Likes

Surcouf would be pretty epic

2 Likes

Subs will be the helicopters of the naval game ,I can see them being the death blow to an already ailing game.

not really if they are setup as the battle of the atlantic event

1 Like

I’d see Dutch subs starting at the K XI class, then the O 19 class, then Dolfijn. Something like in a Dutch subtree. I did actually do a thought exercise like thing and worked out reasonably full sub trees for the UK, USSR, US, and Germany

1 Like

nah they would be severely limited and easy to kill, probably why they werent already added

Subs would be cool but I still think they’d need either a major gamemode change or flat out a new gamemode to be useful.

i think that they will be really big players playing central map control, actually capturing objectives while the bigger ships fight it out

1 Like

That’s what I was thinking as well

They’d be great in naval EC

2 Likes

Oh yes, definitely! That’s literally going to be Silent Hunter!

I remember in SH5 entering Shapa Flow, sinking the Royal Oak, several destroyers and a cruiser, leaving after a full day evading some other DDs and then just outside the base seeing a full Task Force with Hood in the middle! I sailed right below them, that was so epic!