Strela-10M2 passive detection

You’re joking, right? Poland has no older APFSDS left (they were running on reserves with DM33A1 back in 2015 already), and specifically ordered DM63/A1 for the Leopard 2A5 and 2PL to replace those. Now then, look at what is the top shell for the 2PL in the game (DM43 - never used by Poland…).

However the munition availability is an IRRELEVANT argument, because if we follow it to a T, BMP-2M will lose its APFSDS totally.

The type 93 have photocontrast, the strela have now around the same the a looking range agaisnt figters as the santal, but also photocontrast is much easier to dodge, and you dont even need to use countermeasure, just going down will make the missile fail, the only advantage that photocontrast offers over the santal and the chaparral is a better locking range agaisnt helicopters.

except it isnt, you can still face jets with flares at 9.3, you also play agaisnt 10.3…

You’re free to prove that Santal and Strela are now “comparable” (last I was told that Santal is a piece of garbage, but hey, it’s your burden of proof).

Better locking range against helicopters is a HUGE advantage, that was and still is (for many) the main downfall of IR based SAMs.

except it isnt, you can still face jets with chaffs at 9.3, you also play agaisnt 10.3…

Chaff spoofing IR/PC seekers…

1 Like

the santal have much better detection suit, more missiles and the mistrals pull less but they also have a better range

i meant flares

it is still quite situational, most of the time you wont be able to use photocontrast on a heli as they fly low, and there the ir seeker of the strela isnt able to pick them over a km or even less

The Type 93 and 81 are imaging infared not photocontrast, their seekers are superior in every way to the strelas, but in game they are identical which should not be the case.

Photocontrast in game is immune to countermeasures, that is a giant boon over other comparable IR missiles currently.

The strela should be 10.0 as of now, it’s performance at it’s BR is comically better than it’s contemporaries at that bracket, its not even a contest anymore.

4 Likes

Strela is 9.7 BR max. The rockets have a range of only 5km which is somehow not much.
Type 81 is at 10.0, and should be at least at 11.0.
This is currently F&F’s best SPAA. Rockets 10km range, lock range targets practically from very far away.

But this is not a topic for such chitchat.
Here it’s about adding passive detection for Strela-10M2

No, it was changed cause one of the tech mod’s found document’s that supported it had gen three thermals.

Can any other of the other vehicles in game use passive detection.

If they modeled IRST for Ozelot then why not for strela-10?

They could introduce something like this for Strela-10 without the spinning marker

1 Like

What? That it had 3rd generation was known for years. First reported in March of 2021 by Yedidya from Justin’s squadron. This had nothing to do with a tech mod finding anything, when they were hand fed all the information ages ago.

Here you go, a couple of them in fact by many people, all included primary sources that the camera is of 3rd generation, but “not a bug”;
https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder/i/9V25FzwYqvd6
https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder/i/seoXUq7kbCS6

One of the reports was closed down on the basis of “wikipedia is not a source”, while the document presented was the manufacturer’s datasheet for the camera, lmfao.

What does IRST have to do with passive detection?

I detailed my take on how the passive detection of the Strela-10M2 works in another discussion. Since the topic got moved back here, I am reposting it. I am no expert of the Strela, I only wrote this based on the documents I read. Anyway, I hope this helps.

Do you see those pairs of boxes on the hull of the Strela? From what I understand each one of them scans with radio waves a certain radius around the vehicle to spot aircraft. When one is found, the system will warn the commander and give him the direction. The launcher is then pointed towards the target, either automatically or by the gunner. The box at the launcher’s base (right side of the gunner’s window in the last picture) gives the exact azimuth of the target, I guess for communication between the crew and other batteries. Imagine an RWR or a laser warning system that warns you of nearby aircraft by giving you their direction.

It sounds quite complicated, but one way I think this could be modeled into the game would be by copying the radar HUD of the Ozelot and removing the bar that spins like a clock hand since there’s nothing spinning, just stationary radars all around the Strela.
Screenshot 2023-10-31 201911

This feature would be handy since unlike most other nations, Russia doesn’t really have an AA with a good radar dish (the Chaparral lacks that but the US has the M247 which has HE-VT and scans much better than the Shilka and the LAV-AD which has thermals). This means you must mostly rely on your eyes to find targets since sound isn’t that reliable with supersonic jets.

I hope this helped a bit, passive detection isn’t that simple to understand and there’s not much information about it outside of manuals.

If I made any mistake, be sure to correct me @Smoak741

4 Likes

This doesn’t explain how they found a document “supporting it”… he just figured out output resolution isn’t the means to an end…

The lower resolution was also explained in a bug report 2 years ago by Yedidya, meaning it took them two years to acknowledge it, crazy innit? At the same time BVM with the same exact resolution IRL got third generation camera from the get go, lmao.

The Ozelot’s IRST is a active search system, it is not at all the same as what is displayed here as RWRs cannot provide anything but a general direction unlike the Ozelot’s IRST. No RWR can provide anything more than a general direction. You can see the search system spinning ontop of the Ozelot while using the vehicle scanning for targets.

To the same end, the system on the Strela only receives radar emissions, it cannot emit itself, otherwise it would be a active search system as you cannot be a passive radar related system if you emit radiation.

Neither system should be compared because the Ozelot’s can provide a direct azimuth, range and elevation, this system cannot, as RWRs cannot provide either of the former.

2 Likes

There are passive methods for range determination, a known threat database and observed power used as a reference for example.
Range rate systems that observe Doppler-Shift and the rate of change of Azimuth among others.

The AN/ASB-19 for example solves a similar problem without any form active range determination.

The only issue is that I don’t think that the system could provide elevation since there are apparently only two receiver locations and they are not offset in elevation.

“Only” 1 year.
Strela doesn’t use IRST, nor does the visual model have IRST equipment.

@Shadow_Monarch
That’s more about making decisions without knowing why things are the way they are.
They knew BVM’s thermals was accurate but didn’t know why.
Now they know why, and can make more informed decisions about thermals on vehicles.

They don’t scan anything with radio waves. They are radio direction finders, they don’t emit anything. Thay detect any radio emittions (not only from radars, any).

1 Like

Weird how you used a picture with the old testdrive for the M163. Could it - just maybe - be that you are being disingenuous and trying to claim the M163 has search radar when it never had and never will have?

The HUD on the M163 was purely a remnant of the early radar implementation, it NEVER had any search functionality and because of that got removed AGES ago, which is why you had to pull out such an old screenshot …

3 Likes