Stop. Removing. Sniper. Positions. From. Long. Range. Maps

Yeah, that TD is just one of many vehicles that simply can’t function properly in CQC and are actively losing spots they can be effective from due to the constant map ensmallening.
Maps that don’t cater to every playstyle in a similar manner are just hilariously terrible, so they need to change the maps or if they don’t want to do that, remove vehicles that aren’t suited for them, simple as.

4 Likes

Yep, Britain has quite a few that simply fall into the category. Even arguably our top tier MBTs are probably better suited to longer range supporting fire if not full long range sniping.

But yeah tanks like the Tortoise (only because of semi-hull aiming) , FV4005, M109A1, Striker, Swingfire. etc would be partially rendered pointless from the game.

Kinda reminds of bombers/strike aircraft in ARB… Hmm…

4 Likes

Really mate? You really saying this?

Do I need to point you to the design principles behind the challenger? Any variant of the challenger?

Or hell, the map Tunisia. The big one. With multiple kilometer engagements.

24 Likes

I mean, Challenger prioritised longer range engagements over short range basically from the start. Just so happens those features also made it pretty effective in the short range, even if Gaijin doesn’t believe folk.

I’d also point you to the challenger with the 17pdr. The fuck is that thing meant to do brawling other than detonate? Especially with the state of the 17pdr.

8 Likes

Gaijin surely missed the part about some MBTs being built with hull-down in mind, with really good turret armor but severely lacking in other segments.
Forcing those types of vehicles to fight in urban mazes that offer little to no cover should come with some alleviating factors to help them out, but that’s not the case with Gaijin.

9 Likes

And that’s only GB, now start counting vehicles from other nations and it will add up really quickly. It’s safe to say more than a few vehicles absolutely suck in CQC but, “this isn’t sniping game”, I guess.

It’s way easier to force people to stop playing certain vehicle types with their map/mode changes, instead of fixing layers upon layers of issues that brought us to this mess.

6 Likes

I did read a really good analysis of NATO vs Soviet tanks in War Thunder and why “Dev Bias” in some respect might be entirely unavoidable. Due to tank design

• First is engagement rules: IRL, most tank fight at very long ranges (kilometres) with your tank retreating after every shot fired. In War Thunder, tanks are mostly forced in close quarters, meaning rushing the enemy is a good tactic as you won’t get sniped by someone you can’t even see (most of the time). Since War Thunder needs you to capture point, you are forced to push points (This helps Russia’s doctrine heavily).

• Design: Russian tanks are made with the doctrine of pure assault in mind, and it shows. They’re smaller and have a better profile thanks to their autoloader and have great frontal armor. NATO MBTs were made to counter those tanks but were expected to be used in entrenched, hull down position. They’re larger and usually have weak hull armor compared to their godlike turrets. They’re still very much capable of attacking thanks to their great mobility, but their weaknesses are easily exploited at short ranges when attacking since the enemy just has to aim center mass most of the time while you are forced to aim at specific weakspots to kill Russian MBTs. - Reddit

There was a better breakdown I read like 2 years ago, but I couldnt find it anywhere

We really need a mix of map types for there to be any chance of fairness. I would also really love a Ground EC gamemode, just for a slower pace of gameplay. By far the best air mode (imo) is air sim (EC) and Naval EC is probably also a lot better than NRB. I think a ground EC might also fix many of the issues I have with GRB

12 Likes

Yep, I agree

Or… They can make more maps like large Tunisia, has long range and medium range, and if you’re a masochist it also has point blank.

Large Tunisia proves the devs can actually make well reasoned and well done maps. Go take a look at it if you’re unfamiliar with it. It is one of few maps I actually enjoy now.

2 Likes

Yeah, I like Tunisia. Though Sands of Sinai is even better (shame they ruined it though)

Eh, Sands is really short with minimal cover. I mean the BIG Tunisia. Does basically everything properly. Small Tunisia is awful.

This one:

8 Likes

I quite like those 2km firing ranges. though I did have a match on I think its Fields of Poland, and had about 40 good hits on soviet tanks and I think I had 1 good crit, but no kills. In their current state, you cant fight at long range, you just dont have the control to aim for the micro weakspots on a soviet tank

3 Likes

Sim Tunisia and European Province are the best maps this game has to offer. They strike the perfect balance between CQC and long range engagement.

4 Likes

Personally think fields does most things wrong. It lets you do long range, sure, but that gives little areas for short range that some players like, as good fucking luck getting to the town area. Alongside minimal cover when firing at those extended ranges on Poland. Hence Tunisia. Covers all the boxes.

Yeah thats true. But yeah, its clear that given some effort/insentive, they can make maps that are tailored for a wider range of people.

Couple that with a couple extra bans and people can tailor their experience to what they want. If that is longer ranges only, then so be it.

Just a shame they are slowly deleting half the vehicles from the game

Slowly deleting half the tech trees*

Due to issues with Italian, French, and British armour, short range maps are kind of unplayable if you want fun. You can do well with them, but it is more stress than fun.

1 Like

I agree with this Poland is even worse in the winter version, there’s just not enough cover and the sightlines are too big forcing everyone to fight in the town, Fire Arc suffers from it too, the A and C caps are basically only for the suicidal.

3 Likes

That is true, this is certainly an Assymetrical issue, which means its just going to get worse

Who’s ready for them to ignore feedback and just do things for the ruskis and Americans mapwise?

The state of this is really frustrating, they really need to do more maps like Tunisia that caters to essentially everyone. It’d resolve a lot of the modeling problems, given it’d allow tanks that have those issues to play in the roles they at least work in. Refining the interaction players have with long range shots and refining the maps to act like Tunisia would basically resolve a lot of problems. Maps would need to be bigger for the most part, but that wouldn’t really be an issue for mainly toptier stuff.

3 Likes

Next update

“We are redesigning Tunisia and removing the left hand side of the map”

6 Likes