Squadron vehicles: T-90 Bhishma

A special version of the T-90 main battle tank that is in service with the Indian Army comes to the game as a new squadron vehicle, available in the upcoming major War Thunder update!

T-90 Bhishma: MBT, Britain, rank VII

Features:

• Good protection against other tanks.
  • Advanced ammunition!
  • Lacks soft-kill APS.
  • Slow reverse speed.
History

In 2001, India signed a contract with the Russian Federation for 310 T-90S tanks, upgraded to the requirements of the Indian army. 124 tanks were supplied ready-made, the remaining 186 were to be assembled from components in the municipality of Avadi, Tamil Nadu. Among the changes that were made to the design of serial T-90s were a new welded turret, enhanced anti-radiation protection, the dismantling of the Shtora-1 APS, an IR searchlight, an upgraded undercarriage and engine. As part of the Indian army, the tanks received their own name Bhishma (Sanskrit "the terrible"), in honor of one of the heroes of the national epic Mahabharata.

The Indian T-90 Bhishma tank is a special version of the Russian T-90 tank, modified to fit the needs of the Indian Army. The T-90 Bhishma will arrive to the game as a new squadron vehicle in the upcoming War Thunder major update. Its ERA protection, guided missiles and a modern fire-control system make the tank an exotic and desirable addition to Britain’s top-tier ground forces lineup!

info3 First and foremost, we’d like to let you know the reasons as to why we’re going to be adding this vehicle to the British tree. Britain’s top-tier MBTs are generally niche and are typically geared towards methodical combat engagements. Because of this, additional export MBTs and other vehicles that have ties to some Commonwealth nations will allow for more options and new approaches to Britain’s gameplay. We'd like to note that we are continuing to work on filling the British ground forces tree, which will include various armored, infantry fighting vehicles, and light tanks. These are planned for the future.

Let’s take a look at the main differences of the Indian T-90 Bhishma. Firstly, the Bhishma lacks the well-known soft-kill active protection system (those spooky-looking red eyes), and secondly, the Russian 3BM60 APFSDS round. In the position of where the APS emitters would be, the Indian Army requested additional ERA blocks, which in turn improves the overall turret protection from shots to the front. Additionally, an IR searchlight was mounted on the kingpin of the commander’s hatch to help illuminate targets in the dark. Other differences include another angle of smoke grenade launchers, a different design of the dozer blade, and increased anti-radiation armor — this slightly improves the protection of the tank.

Download Wallpaper:

As the T-90 Bhishma is a modern tank, it offers good protection in the form of Kontakt-5 ERA — as well as an advanced fire control system which promises good fighting dynamics. The T-90 Bhishma also features a large capacity autoloader, and can fire excellent tandem warhead ATGMs from the main cannon.

There are, however, some disadvantages of the T-90 Bhishma. In addition to the lack of APS as we’ve already mentioned, the T-90 Bhishma also has poor reverse speed, which is, unfortunately for T-90 fans, an inescapable legacy of the T-72 series. As T-72 and T-90 enjoyers would know, this in turn may make the T-90 Bhishma tricky to use whilst wanting to roll back behind cover after taking or receiving a shot. The T-90 Bhishma also brings along with it poor gun depression and turret traverse speed.

Just like other squadron vehicles, the T-90 Bhishma can be obtained for free by gaining enough squadron activity points, and can also be purchased for GE. If you’re still without a squadron, the T-90 Bhishma is a good reason to join one in War thunder — or even lead your own. See you in the next dev blog!

13 Likes

And what is the anti-mine system for?

If its anything like the strv122 it will make you almost unkilled by HE or HEAT

Question. Why is it coming to britain and not russia?
India bought it from russia.
And it is a russian tank… so why in Britain?
Because india is a post-colony?

17 Likes

It should be in Ussr tree, not British one

23 Likes

unneeded
Nice flags

18 Likes

I really don’t get comments that this should be in Russian tree.
A. They already have better squadron vehicle in form of T-80UK.
B. T-90S wouldn’t bring anything new to Russian tree. BR this thing would be is already oversaturated in Russian tree.
C. This gives option for British mains to test how Russian tanks works and maybe they want to grind top tier of Russian GF tree.
D. This fills lineup of British GF that lack anything that is not another CH2

18 Likes

Makes top tier sim even more unplayable with Russian vs. Russian tanks making people confused if it’s enemy/ally (even worse in helis/planes)

15 Likes

We will then wait for the T-80BV to Germany, it is also bad with a variety of tanks there)

8 Likes

This fills lineup of British GF that lack anything that is not another CH2

Just how america lacks anything that isnt an abrams, germany that isnt a leopard, france that isnt a leclerc?

We had tech trees with their own vehicles for a reason and not to put every vehicle into every other tree.

3 Likes

We’d like to note that we are continuing to work on filling the British ground forces tree, which will include various armored, infantry fighting vehicles, and light tanks.

This is good. I hope this will mean we get to see production (and prototype) light tanks and IFVs in the game in the next couple of updates. Scimitar when

5 Likes

Just like the WWII SIM

2 Likes

So we shouldn’t make tech trees interesting? Lets have 100 different variants of same vehicle in same lineup. I wonder why people keep crying about all the T-54s,PzIV,T-72,M60 and Magach that they all should be foldered.
One group wants every possible modification to single tech tree and other group doesn’t want to grind 15th T-72 variant that doesn’t bring anything new.

2 Likes

Almost like something like this is possible IRL.
Also panther vs Panther has been thing since 2015.
M4 vs M4 is almost every match.
PzIII vs PzIII is also from 2015…
This isn’t anything new.

3 Likes

YES finally good mbt for britain i love you gaijin ❤️

4 Likes

Yeah, since we just gave Russia a bunch of them.

1 Like

now in sim you cant know friend from enemy

7 Likes

we are literally getting groups in the next update.

Tech trees have been interesting because they offer another playstyle. If i wanted to play the Leo 2 i grinded germany and played a german exclusive lineup. If i wanted to play the T80u i grinded the soviet tree. You would then get matchmaked based on your nations against realistic enemies.

Now i would grind the sweden tree so i can get the swedish modification of the leo 2 that germany is denied, get a finish leo2a6 copy paste and can even play a t80u. All that while fighting the american, french, chinese coalition with russia, israel and japan on my side.

We are approaching a situation where one combined tree with 5 lines for each nations would not play any less different than matches are now.

7 Likes

Beautiful. Adds something unique to the British tech tree.

6 Likes

I CAN’T WAIT TO FIGHT BRITISH, SWEDISH(finnish), GERMAN AND RUSSIAN T-SERIES TANKS all in one team.
Whereas the uniqueness to tech trees?
Like i understand if British had it but no. India had it so now Britain gets it?

9 Likes