Sons of Attila - Rumor Round-Up and Discussion (Part 2)

I still doubt we’d get a Tornado F3 CSP ontop of our current F3. Better to just convert it. but I think CSP also included ASRAAM and that aint gunna happen. So it would basically be the aircraft we have now, but with AMRAAM and 9M

1 Like

Yeah, I mean if they upgrade it or make a new airframe thats fine. I firmly think it needs AMRAAMs yesterday

Spoiler
  • B initial “complete” version, flew in 1983.
  • W First production version, 70 built. Fitted to Batch 4 Blocks 8 + 9, Batch 5 Block 10. 44 “W” later upgraded to “Z” standard from 1988.
  • Z 80 built. Fitted to Batch 5 Block 11, Batch 6 Block 12. Supposed to be the ‘final’ version meeting requirements. Broadly met initial requirements, but not the revised requirements.
  • Stage 1 76 built from September 1988. Fitted from Batch 6 Block 13 to 15. Improved radar functions related to the aircraft’s new F-18 style HOTAS (Hands On Throttle and Stick) controls, improved cooling (for Saudi ADV) and refined TWS and ECCM algorithms. HUD Search mode, activated by a HOTAS switch, scans the 20 deg field of view of the HUD and automatically locks on to any detected target. 124 “Z” radars were upgraded to Stage 1 software.
  • Stage 1+ was rushed through in 1991 for the Gulf War. Radar designation is AA, with revised software.
  • Stage 2 was intended to be the definitive Foxhunter, fully meeting the revised requirements of the RAF.
  • Stage 2G was introduced from 1996; includes NCTR (Non-Cooperative Target Recognition) technology. Radar designation is AB.
  • Stage 2G* upgraded the radar processors and software.
  • Stage 2H upgraded the radar processor and optimised software.
  • CSP (Capability Sustainment Programme) was signed 5 March 1996, providing for upgrades to 100 Tornado F3s to allow use of AIM-120 AMRAAM and ASRAAM missiles. Radar upgrades would allow multi-target engagement capability, and attempt to unify the fleet on a common radar standard. Other targets included reducing susceptibility to ECM and improved serviceability. CSP was implemented in two stages in order to deliver some operational advantages as soon as possible. First delivery was made in 1998, and both phases were scheduled to be completed by 2002. It did not include a mid-course update facility for the AIM-120 AMRAAM, due to technical difficulties.
  • AOP (AMRAAM Optimisation Programme) was signed on 8 June 2001, for the provision of a mid-course guidance capability for AMRAAM on Tornado F3 aircraft, initial IOC was end 2002, and the upgrade program was concluded by late 2004.
  • FSP (F3 Sustainment Programme) Signed in December 2004, FSP sets out to address a number of issues identified at the end of the AOP (AMRAAM Optimisation Programme). It includes integration of AIM-120C-5 and ASRAAM FOC2 and enhancement of the weapons systems capability, particularly the displays, through a number of radar computer and main computer software changes. In December 2005, a Tornado F3 fired two AIM-120C-5s at subsonic targets.
3 Likes

I think it would be an interesting and different addition. Other nations get Prototypes that never made it into service, so why not. Gives us SOMETHING until Typhoon

Why are you lot talking about the tyhoon ?

It should have come with the Mig-23MLD this time 2021 or it should have come with AMRAAM or 9M, this half way between the 2 really sucks

1 Like

Because its the only thing britain could get that would be competitive at this stage. DA2 with 9Ls and no BVR is probably our best hope for somethign higher than 11.7

I mean yea true but not to sound harsh but is it worth having 200+ comments on it though

Honestly, I think Gaijin is more likely to give us:

SEPECAT Jaguar GR.3A:
New modified engines to perform 6% better, new datalink system, a giant MFCD in the cockpit, a new databus system to allow HMSS and ASRAAM.

1 Like

Why even play that shitty brick. If anything it needs a better FM. Has no chance in top tier whatever the armament is, it will be worse. Unless they add proper ECM

Kinda my point…and why I spend most of my time in the Harrier Gr7 or Torando Gr1 bombing bases and doing CAS in ASB and not playing the F3. Its DOA. But if it was added at 11.3 with only 11.3s it oculd have been good

They really should’ve just given it AMRAAM or Active Skyflash from the start.

Because every single country in this game has something top tier, either already or just around hte corner, britain has… nothing, at all. No hope in sight and we’ve been totally screwed over so far this update.

When do yall expect the update to drop?

last week of Sep, I’d guess

But is it justify 200+ comments on though

Not all on Typhoon, much discussion around Gripen and other additions

Besides, we need to hit 10k posts somehow

Still unsure as to what place the T-90 even fills for Britain.
Breaks up the playstyle of the Hull Down Challenger 2s with…yet another tank, you’ll hull down with and play the same way?

Plus at 10.7 your options are so limited. You can put it in a lineup with the Vickers Mk7 but thats it.

Nope but for us regs it’s tiresome to read through all of this if there a key information on the update.