Boxer Skyranger 30: Precision+Firepower

with the BR changes of the roland going to 9.7 we might be able to get a skyranger 30 at 10.0 or 10.3

2 Likes

That’s only the French Roland, the German and American ones are still 10.3

it uses the hensoldt spexer AESA radar (probably spexer 2000 3d mk iii)
the turret can be placed on a lot of vehicles, germany chose the boxer for obvious reasons but afaik denmark wants to put it on a similar but danish vehicle and the hungarians want it on the lynx platform

1 Like

didnt denmark want to put it onto the Mowag Piranha V ? did they change their choice? And Austria choosed the Pandur EVO 6x6 if i am right

yeah
Market breakthrough in Austria: Rheinmetall supplies Skyranger 30 | Rheinmetall
Countering RAM, drones and other flying objects with highly mobile assets, Rheinmetall’s solutions - EDR Magazine
Böröndi Gábor: Tempót váltott a Magyar Honvédség (magyarnemzet.hu)
The Armed Forces have chosen machine guns for the Army’s new air defense (fmi.dk)

SADM integration:

9 small, Leichtes Wirkmittel 1800+ based weapon but with a booster and i think a radar warhead to hit drones, ~5km range or so so just above what the gun can do. simultaneous engagements are possible
Small Anti Drone Missile Integration in den Skyranger 30 vereinbart (hartpunkt.de)
ILA 2024: Rheinmetall und MBDA unterzeichnen Vereinbarung zur Integration der Small Anti Drone Missile (SADM) in den Skyranger 30 und in weitere militärische Plattformen | Offizielle Pressewebseite der MBDA-Deutschland
Rheinmetall und MBDA unterzeichnen Vereinbarung | Rheinmetall

9 Likes

interesting so the missile was made to hit drones beyond the range of AHEAD, ill add it up in the sources and pictures

i still think stinger would actualy be more useful to hit higher priority targets

1 Like

probably, however it should operate together with the iris-t boxer so together they can do everything from aircraft, helicopters to larger and smaller drones

there’s also a vehicle type with 18 missiles and no gun

this was announced 2 months ago but the news now is that rheinmetall and mbda will work together to integrate SADM into the skyranger

SADM’s idea is to have commonalities with LWM1800+
MBDA Twitter video on the SADM with Skyranger 30

its pretty weird, i still dont get why put only anti drone missiles, and im not sure if they can even be used against planes or helis

to me it smells a lot like stopping skyranger 30 from being overwhelmed by drones…

probably, altough if this is a possibility with these missiles, might be possible to modify them for anti plane or anti heli purpose so i guess why not

its the same body, possibly a different seeker and then just a booster to get the range to about 5km.
skyranger 30 with ahead has about a 3km max range so this does add to it.

tbh i think this skyranger might be a better AD asset if you do point protection against like shaheds or something than the skyranger with 2 MANPADS

i wonder what about enemy planes or helicopters unless the boxer with iris-t missiles is gonna be the main air defense against those

thats the plan.
a layered air defense system is better than trying to cram every capability into one

sounds interesting ngl i hope we do see the introduction of the skyranger 30 to the game may it be with anti drone missiles or without them, would be funny getting a helicopter kill with the anti drone missile

but… isnt AHEAD literaly supposed to deal with multiple drone targets? they would need to come from all directions to make the missles necesary

ahead can deal with multiple targets if they’re close together. its like a shotgun. but you can still only shoot in one direction. drones are often used in saturation attacks so being able to engage multiple targets in multiple directions is a plus.

i have encountered something interesting while going around on twitter, looks like the turret mockup you showed us just now but with full armor and stinger launchers instead of the Leichtes Wirkmittel 1800+

5 Likes

Maybe the anti-drone variant could be premium (since I doubt how useful it would be for missile AD) while the stinger variant is tt?