SIAI Marchetti SF260 SW

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

Description: The SF250 Sea Warrior was an Italian light ground attack turboprop aircraft developed from the precedent Siai Marchetti SF260 Warrior. In 1960, the Italian engineer Stelio Frati, after the experience gained with the Caproni Trento F5 and Falco F8L, started projecting a new all-metal acrobatic and sport aircraft called the F250. During the development of the aircraft, the company of Frati was acquired by SIAI Marchetti, and the aircraft was renamed SIAI Marchetti S260. With the first flight of the prototype on July 15, 1984, the company started exploring its possibilities in the military market. The first military version was the SF260 C, but it was not armed and was only used as a basic military trainer. The first actual armed version was the SF260 W (warrior), which was fitted with two pilons. This version was successfully sold to a large number of countries with a small armed force. During the eighties and nineties, many new versions were made to meet the requirements of various different air forces all around the world, and production continued until 2017, with a total of 976 aircraft produced. This one, in particular, was the only SIAI Marchetti SF260 SW (Sea Warrior). This version was developed from the SF260 W and upgraded with two additional pilons and various avionics suited for sea surface individuation (sea surface spotting radar on the left wing) and ecc. This version was intended to be an anty pirace coast reconnaissance light-armed aircraft capable of performing different missions such as SAR (search and rescue), light attack, and reconnaissance. It’s story is pretty unknown; indeed, nothing is known about its first flight, when it was made, or its fate. It’s very likely that the aircraft was developed and made after the SF260 in the 1970s, but it was not able to get the same attention as its previous brother, and after some time it disappeared. One source claims that it was converted into a SF260 TP.

Why it should be in the game: It will bring to the Italian TT a good cas at a medium br (like era IV that is complelty emplty) a good aircraft with good weapons that will help a lot the Italian CAS line

Specifications:

Spoiler

Weapons.

Spoiler

Gun Pods:
4x FFV-UNI Gun Pod
4x double 7.62 mm pod
4x 12.7 mm pod
Rokets:
28x Thomas Brandt 68-7
24x Aerea Type 6.80
36x Aerea Type 6.70
36x Hydra-70 mm
76x Mighy Mouse 70 mm
72x Matra Type 4 68 mm
other unguided rokets
Bombs
4x NASR-250
4x BL-9 125 kg
12x BAP-100
16x Type 15
other unguided bombs

Sources

Spoiler

SIAI-Marchetti SF-260
SIAI-Marchetti SF.260 - Wikipedia
RACI Web - Aeromobile con marche I-SEAW
Il 260 - Un progetto italiano che ha avuto un successo internazionale
SIAI Marchetti F260 aircraft list 2

Pictures

Spoiler

A part of the weapons configuration of the SF260 W (that also apply to the SW since it’s a developemt of this version)

5 Likes

The cute one. +1

1 Like

+1

2 Likes

As appealing as the weaponry looks along with it being a turboprop, it would be much too slow.

I agree. I’m opposed to most post-1950ish turboprop COIN or trainer aircraft unless they go to the heli tree with a b.r. to suite their weapons rather than flight performance. Balancing them for ARB would be a total nightmare.

2 Likes

There was a thread in regards to this issue on the old forum but i still yet to see it here

1 Like

It’s cool, but wouldn’t really fit in war thunder, I mean, where would it even go?
We would need some serious BR decompression before this could be added, even then, it would be kind useless beyond being an attacker (other planes would be better suited)

1 Like

+1 very unique

3 Likes

+1 for the helicopter tree.

3 Likes