SAAF JAS-39C Technical Data and Discussion

i was quoting a article from the state affiliated Missile museum,

IRIS-T would undoubtably be the best, but only at shorter ranges.

A Typhoon armed with ASRAAM would probably want to circle the battle at around 15-20km just firing off ASRAAM at targets. meanwhile a Typhoon with IRIS-T will want to jump into the thick of it, dogfighting within 5-10km.

2 Likes

There’s so many things wrong here but I’ll boil it down for you so you can understand.

ASRAAM has a 6.5 inch diameter which gives it a better motor and because it’s more aerodynamic it has better range.
IRIS-T has a 5 inch diameter and worse aerodynamics which combined with the TVC gives it a very short range.

Yes IRIS-T has better G pull but ASRAAM still hits ~60 even without TVC.

2 Likes

IRIS-T would also struggle to hit a target past about 15km but ASRAAM could probably nail something out to 30+km. They certainly do not have similar ranges

2 Likes

Would you mind sharing a source for that?

The R-77 and PL-12 have more diameter than the AMRAAM and yet inferior range. What makes you think that the IRIS-T won’t be able to achieve similar performance to the ASRAAM? In what scenarios will the ASRAAM really be that much more useful than the IRIS-T because of the alleged improvement in range?

The gap is not this large, nor is it really that useful. The detection ranges limit head-on usage greatly and only one of the two missiles is designed with the purpose of shooting down incoming ordnance in mind. There are asymmetrical advantages and disadvantages… neither is even remotely close to the range or performance of the MICA. Similarly, the AIM-7F and R-27ER are equally less useful towards the meta as they currently stand due to multipathing and other things. These small differences in performance / characteristics will not matter all that much.

As with the 60G claim, I’d like to see proper sourcing for the range of the ASRAAM and IRIS-T if we’re just gonna throw numbers around like this. I could share the numbers stating “20+” nautical miles for AMRAAM and say it’s less than the AIM-7F… need more context.

-edit- Discussion is of the performance of potential future armament of the Gripen, not off topic.

You are forgetting that ASRAAM has DL and can be guided onto target using either radar or in the case of the Typhoon. PIRATE IRST.

I beleive sources do exist but I dont have any on hand, though I think ive seen some on the Forums. Maybe Gunjob or Flame has some.

mostly going by data provided in:

3 Likes

The same can be done with practically any other modern air to air missile of any type.

I don’t think anyone has provided a source showing 60G, most only say 50.

On the bright side, it says “off the rail” in quite a bit of sources from MBDA. This indicates that it should have similar maneuverability and turn radius to the Magic 2.

How

1 Like

The Magic 2 is also 50G’s off the rail. The difference is that the ASRAAM will burn through a lot less energy conducting such a turn thanks to the design. (tail control, body lift).

I know it can be shocking for you but have you ever heard MICA IR?

5 Likes

IR clearly means it is still active radar homing

What eles would IR mean

5 Likes

love how petty this thread is

3 Likes

Improved Radar :P

9 Likes

Some could argue the MICA IR NG would beat out both, due to its thrust vectoring, long range, and similar imager as the Iris_T

1 Like

MICA IR is a MICA with an infrared seeker that can be guided with datalink and go pit bull when acquiring lock. For all intent and purposes, it can largely be compared to a fox 3.

Might be best if I check the MICA thread but do we have any figures on the burn time for MICA as well as the pull without the TVC (once the booster has burnt out).

For the ground to air variant, it’s advertised at 50G in TVC, 30G after. The Mica NG has about 30% more kinematic range due to increase fuel, so it should be under TVC for quite some more time than the MICA, which is under TVC for at least 10-15km in game during testing a few weeks ago

1 Like

the two pulses on the mica ng makes it seems so interesting with tvc

Exactly, plus with the AESA of the EM, and the matrix infrared seeker on the IR, on,y way to avoid them would be kinematically. Granted, these missiles won’t be coming far before the meteor I’d recko (not being in service and all), but they’d be the perfect ambush missiles

2 Likes

İf i wanted to compare Fox-3 missiles i would have mention about FOX-3 Version.

ASRAAM can also be guided by Datalink and has similiar capabilites but both MICA IR and ASRAAM missiles are Fox-2 missiles.