Responding to the Severe Damage feedback & release time

No, you’ve picked the design which causes more repair costs to the players…

And what about damage made by AI AA? If it severely damages a plane will it also count as “dead” at the end of the battle? Cause everyone knows that Gaijin either nerfs of buffs AI AA and this will bring a even more negative feeling towards Gaijin’s tweaking of everything in the game.

4 Likes

I don’t want to get into discussion how brave heroes in reality keep flying without wings and returning to the base without any problems (I saw this kind of discussions in the past, and they are absolutely pointless from my perspective). This is just a game, and you can’t predict and simulate all situations.

From your screenshots, for me that’s a problem with the flight model in the game. For example, on the test server, one of the Russian players managed to land his plane without the tail:

Spoiler

Like I said, this is a flight model problem. And it will be hard to solve this completely for every plane in the game in every damage situation possible.

1 Like

Is there plans to incentivize bailing out of the destroyed aircraft? Some extra SL or RP for the pilot not getting “knocked out” as their aircraft plumets in a flaming wreck and they get picked up by a search and rescue team? After all, “Try to come back alive - your country needs you.” unless you have “Crashed… for good luck!” :p

3 Likes

I believe that more than the damage model, it is the instructor who causes this, since the plane is heading where you are pointing, so the instructor corrects the movements so that it goes where you are pointing. What should be done is that the instructor does not correct your movement when you have such serious damage.

2 Likes

Yeah, I remember when I dodged SARH on the deck, but got my rudder damaged due to flying on a low speed, and despite this I was still able to fight. And I did this, but the game considered me as severely damaged and counted death in the end of the match. I’m glad such bugs are fixed now. It was surprising and annoying

1 Like

Yes, it’s called “Severe Damage”. As soon as you get severely damaged you will be considered “dead” at the end of the battle so better not waste any more time and just bail out, this is what a “well” thought mechanic will bring into Air Battles.

It’s ironic that so many here complain about ODLs and they don’t realize that this is what will increase hugely with this mechanic.

1 Like

If it was just the instructor then it would allow ridiculous things like that for every plane. Seems more like a FM issue to me.

I don’t think this has been implemented in ground. I’ve had multiple kills “stolen” the old way without any new credits.

My two cents:

1. The “severe damage” message should not be the same color as the “aircraft destroyed” one (make “severe damage” yellow or dark orange maybe?). Very seldom do i actually read the text that comes up as it takes focus from the game and i might miss important things if i take my eyes of the battle to read.

2. I would like a clarification on how this will effect warbonds, tasks and such as there now will be more kills and less assists in general (as an average). Any plans on changes in that regard?
    @Stona_WT ?

6 Likes

This is misleading as engine extinguishers aren’t stock on non-premium aircraft that have them, and not all aircraft have self-sealing fuel tanks (or burn through fuel in a fire quick enough to avoid crippling damage). It should be considered severe damage if the fire burns long enough to cause severe damage, simple enough to me.

Well yeh because it’s still yet to be added to the game in any capacity, this was just a test bed in air.

1 Like

And it will if you care to read a bit further into the explanation. Any damage done by fire that’s considered severe will be accounted to the player who started the fire

1 Like

Yeah, I just saw that, my bad.

1 Like

It kinda does that now, if you set a plane on fire, and they proceed to fly off, the damage from the fire continues and many times you will see a “Critical Hit” msg from that plane and then often “Airplane Destroyed” as they succumb to the fire. So that part is actually a proper working scenario for what may occur in some cases. Exactly how that might change under this new system, I am not really sure. But it seems like a proper series of actions/events in current air combat encounters.
I think it is pretty obvious that this whole new mechanic was originally thought up and designed with top tier jet play in mind, “prop” planes have been on the backburner for a good long while and a great many of the “changes” that have been made overall have been directly related to higher tier gameplay and how it affects lower to mid tier games has not been much of a concern.
I understand that modern era vehicles has provided Gaijin with a great boon and most likely is currently the mainstay of their income . . . I get that. It would just be nice if the portions of the game that got us all to this point were not overlooked and made less exciting/interesting and “profitable” to those of us that truly enjoy that part of the game. I could make a good long list of changes that have been to “better” jet play, that ultimately have proven to either be a scoring nerf for lower tiers or just adversely effect the game play there in general. But that is not what this thread is about, my only hope is that this new mechanic(which we are getting whether we want it or not) does not fall into that category as well, but it’s hard not have that feeling of more impending doom most of the time when it comes to new features and changes to the game . . . .lol. I like to be optimistic, but also . … I am pragmatic as well, so . . . . guess we’ll just have to wait & see.

1 Like

Also a lot less crits since the crits with an instakill were removed as part of this, too.

6 Likes

IDK why you have to overcomplicate things to grotesque proportions. Forget all the mumbo jumbo seVerElY dAmaGEd aiRcraFT kIlL CouNTeD

Cause majority of damage = kill.
Cause minor damage = assist.
simple as

5 Likes

We are not sure if that’s a bug or intended change. I really hope this is just a bug. But this matter can be discussed in different topics:

I understand that Gaijin never give you something without taking anything in return. But in the case of severe damage mechanics, they already did that. They gave players more frags (possible 2 frags from 1 target), but decreased rewards if two players attack the same target (instead of the current 100% for destruction + 60% for assist, players can only receive 80% for severe damage + 40% for finishing off).

So this new system already reduces rewards (instead of the current 160% combined rewards, players will be able to only gain 120%). They didn’t have to touch critical hits to meet the “we have to take something from the players too” rule.

8 Likes

It’s almost certainly part of the same change. Otherwise it would tangle this new mechanic even further. If you severe damage someone, and then someone else instakills, player #2 would get 70% of the score (30% for the instakill crit plus 40% for the finish-off), almost as much as the 80 the first player gets. Or should not that 30% crit bonus you used to get on instakills go with the severe damage reward (so it’s actually 110% each time). Under what circumstances would a severe not also count as a crit? None.

As it is going to be now it kind of makes sense.
–If you instakill you get 100% reward now (used to be 130% because of the crit bonus but whatever)
–If you crit someone enough to damage them and set them up for the kill you get the crit and eventually the assist score (60+30 = 90% of the score value of the kill… ignoring the separate kill bonuses applied later in the scoring calculation for these purposes), same as before
–If you severe damage them enough to kill them, but don’t kill them yourself (basically the same thing) you get a similar award (80%)
–If you just stroll in after and plink the dying aircraft you get 40% (down from 60). Giving them 70 by giving them the instakill crit bonus they never had before as well would be too generous, I’m sure the conclusion was.

Also, this change was enacted affecting ground AA crits a month ago, it appears, extending to air a couple weeks later as they shaped the code around this new change. So yeah, instakill crits are gone as part of this, which is another significant reduction to player scores. Basically everyone’s net score is going to be worse, but people who feel they had their kill stolen get a someone more personally affirming death message, so maybe they don’t want to TK their team mate so much. That’s the only real difference here (oh and everybody’s repair costs will be a little higher and no one’s stats will make any sense).

I am a little concerned about them extending this to ground surface targets though, where instakill crits are also worth 20% more score than “delayed” kills due to that same crit bonus.

2 Likes

You’ll get a bigger reward for getting an assist than for getting a “kill”(done by severely damaging your target). Gaijin is trying really hard to ruin this game.
Also, I wonder how will these changes affect assists since with the “old” and current system different players could get an assist from the same target, and what about with the new system, will the same target keep providing several assists for different players? Cause if the assist is replaced by the new “kill”(done by finishing off the target) then the nerf in rewards is much much bigger than what already confirmed.

This already kind of happens in Ground, if you instakill some tank you may end with less rewards than if you kill it with several shots, simply because you will get less crits and hits for the instakill.

2 Likes

It definitely is necessary in naval, because right now it is always the last person that hits the enemy before he dies is the one getting the kill… even if someone else did 99% of the damage.

That is part of the reason ships with a high rate of fire are so good; They have a much higher chance to get the last hit in before the enemy dies. That’s actually the tactic nowadays if naval kills are required. Take a ship that has a high fire rate and just look for ships that have low health. Blast them with the rapid fire will then usually net the kill, despite not putting in the effort to get the enemy to the low health status in the first place.

Best regards,
Phil
---------------- Manual signature until those and profile pics are returned ----------------
Bring back old forum, forum profile pictures, and signatures but most importantly the old forum!

My complete tech trees (incl. all special vehicles) spreadsheet is updated to match 2.23 (only accurate atm for list & status of vehicles): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13bjEgsDhTjJhXt9N4fzIzvWa7cvy-KSDQc1HNNOZuaI/edit Contains probably all vehicles WT has published.

1 Like